Discuss all hardware and software modifications
bacteria
Next-Gen

Bacteria's project: "Project Unity"

by bacteria Fri May 28, 2010 6:59 pm

This is the project which was mentioned in the forthcoming RacketBOY interview (coming out in the next week or two I believe).

The project is called Alpha Omega - the beginning and the end

The system will cover early to recent console systems, it will be the swan song in effect as after making it, it is hard to see that i'll be making more console systems. By the end of this project though, i'll have covered a stack of consoles, covered their board reductions, region modding (where I want to do it), composite/RGB modding, board reduction, general modding; documented various aspects of each console and fully documented it. When done, my site will contain a massive amount of modding information across a large percentage of all consoles released that were popular/fairly popular, and hopefully will be considered a core modding resource site over time. I will be taking my time on this project, hence anticipate it taking a couple of years to finish. This is also the best way to document a large amount of console systems.

Initially, i'm going to do all the modding to the boards and controllers to a system, leave it barebone, and move to the next one. When all the boards are done, I can then work out the dimensions the case will need to be to house and assemble it - i'm hoping the cart based system will all fit into a slightly thicked Intellivision casing, if possible; with rotary switch to select between console systems.

This is a big project; when finished will have a considerable amount of console systems using original hardware, into a fully integrated multi console system.

The cart based system will contain the following systems: NES, SNES, N64, Jaguar, Megadrive, Amstrad GX4000, SMS, TurboGrafx, plug'n'plays, maybe NeoGeo; Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 7800 (also plays 2600).

System two will be CD based: Saturn, GameCube, DreamCast, PS2 (plays PS1 too), Xbox; Amiga CD32 (maybe).

All systems to use ONE controller. That will be a hard part of the project. Interchangable parts as needed too.

I'm going to start this project next week; the project will probably take the best part of 2 years to finish. It will be documented as it progresses, here and on my site.

The project will be rather complex, but certainly achievable.

First off, will continue the SMS, which I started a while back. RGB modding and also composite modding. The SMS uses a CTX chip which I recognised on the TurboGrafx, which means it will do RGB...
Last edited by bacteria on Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am the Bacman
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Re: Bacteria's project: Alpha Omega

by lisalover1 Fri May 28, 2010 7:07 pm

All I can say is... I. WANT. ONE. Both of them. This is perhaps the boldest custom system project ever undertaken. Be sure to install some fans or some cooling mechanism. With all that heat and awesome in that box, the Earth might get a second sun. :lol:
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
(-_-)
64-bit

by (-_-) Fri May 28, 2010 7:11 pm

This sounds incredible. I look forward to the completed project!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri May 28, 2010 7:13 pm

:shock: :shock: If anyone can do this, with your reputation, a breeze!
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Fri May 28, 2010 7:46 pm

You sir are a mad punter! :mrgreen:
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Fri May 28, 2010 8:04 pm

Bacteria, I just want to say... I don't usually post in your threads about your various modding projects (mainly because I don't want to make a generic "great job!" post) but I always read them with great enjoyment. Your modding projects are awesome.

In regards to your multi console project, I was wondering if you have any ideas as far as powering it goes. You said you want them to use a single controller, so I imagine your vision is for a very sleek console. So I'm guessing that you would want to power it using a single power chord, right? I was just curious as to what your thoughts were about this.
bacteria
Next-Gen

by bacteria Sat May 29, 2010 5:50 am

Regards powering the system, most of the consoles will run off 7.4v although some also need 5v, 3.3v, -5v, the GameCube 12v and PS2 8v. Apart from the NeoGeo, there is enough 5v from a TI card, however that one needs about 3amps so may need to build a circuit for that, I have a diagram and the parts, not built it yet - or, put three TI cards in parallel instead, which might be a better idea.

What this means is, i'm going to have to use mains power as there isn't a lot of point in having some systems powered via batteries and some not, although in saying that, I might adopt that anyway as "portable" however not for PS2 or NeoGeo but for pretty well everything else.

Thinking along the lines therefore of using some existing power supplies, like a computer PSU - just did a quick search, one I looked at give (although there are many others around too): 3.3v (36amp), 5v (36amp), 12v (20amp), -12v (1amp).

This means, plenty of voltage and amperage for 3.3v, 5v, 12v; the -12v can be stepped down with a 7905 to -5v with enough amps (only need about 200mA, there will be 1amp so fine), 8v via a 7808 on the 12v line for the PS2. The NeoGeo can run fine off that, needing around 3amps on 5v and 1amp on 12v.

So, one computer PSU looks favourite; and have a switch to power normal consoles and a screen for the "portable" which won't include NeoGeo, PS2, ColecoVision, Xbox but pretty well everything else.

Regards design, had been thinking about modding an Intellivision console case to leave the basic shell, and use that to house the cart systems and another one for the CD based systems (for a retro look), however, could alternatively go for a futuristic look.

I would be most interested to see any basic concept pics for a casing if you guys want to come up with ideas, if I adopt your design, expect a prize, later on in the project when I can see the "best fit"!
I am the Bacman
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat May 29, 2010 7:41 am

I remembered seeing this on Tech TV a number of years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8SvMXkF6kM

Food for thought.
bacteria
Next-Gen

by bacteria Sat May 29, 2010 11:39 am

Interesting video. Liked the intro!

Only 6 systems he put into a PC case. Hummm...

If you notice, he didn't actually do modding of the consoles, apart from removing part of their cases, on the NES he used a normal NES "toaster" as the pop-out too! Interesting though, and good presentation.

It would be easy to use an old PC casing for a project like I have in mind, would be easy to get inside, everything would fit, however, result would be butt-fugly. If I was forced to use a large cavity for a system, i'd probably use an old printer, or similar; they look nicer and "quirky".
I am the Bacman
jeffro11
128-bit

by jeffro11 Sat May 29, 2010 2:58 pm

You could always use an HTPC case.
Return to Hacks and Mods