Nintendo Power out of the Internet Archive

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ack

Nintendo Power out of the Internet Archive

Post by Ack »

Since folks had been talking about the Metroid II remake, I figured I'd share something else that Nintendo recently had taken down: 145 issues of Nintendo Power in the Internet Archive.

That's right, 145 issues of Nintendo Power were uploaded to the Internet Archive back in February...and nobody noticed until last week. Then Nintendo fans found it. Then Nintendo found it. Now it's gone.

Nintendo wrote:The unapproved use of Nintendo's intellectual property can weaken our ability to protect and preserve it, or to possibly use it for new projects.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/8/12405278/nintendo-power-issues-disappear-from-free-online-archive
Ziggy

Re: Nintendo Power out of the Internet Archive

Post by Ziggy »

Dammit! I would have loved to have grabbed them.

Dear Nintendo,

I am a loyal fan. However, if you wish to remove archives of Nintendo Power from the Internet, then I hope it's because you are planning to reproduce them in volumes (I would buy them!).

"Protect and preserve it, or to possibly use it for new projects." Well I sure hope that means they want to re-release them digitally or in physical volumes. If they released every Nintendo Power issue in volumes, with X issues per volume or whatever, I would buy them all!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Well shoot. Now that I know that I can't have it, I naturally want it. Does anyone have a big ol' zip file somewhere of this archive that I could download? Please and Thank You.
ejamer
128-bit

Post by ejamer »

The tone of the OP is really annoying. I mean, what's the point of this thread?

Of course the content was removed. It had been posted without permission or appropriate right, and is content directly related to products that are actively being sold (the current book of Zelda comics and upcoming book of Mario comics that are collections taken directly from the pages of Nintendo Power magazines).

Yes, it sucks that it's not available. I would rather the magazines be something anyone could read. But it's not my call.

This also isn't Nintendo trying to step on fans or deny access just for fun - much like with the Another Metroid 2 Remake takedown, it's a company following the legal expectations and contractual obligations placed upon them.

You could argue that the laws shouldn't be the way they are - and I would likely support that. But until the laws change, everything that's happened is exactly what any normal (informed) person would expect to happen.
Ack

Post by Ack »

ejamer wrote:The tone of the OP is really annoying. I mean, what's the point of this thread?

To inform that it happened. The tone of your post is really annoying. I mean, what's the point of your response?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

What annoys me is all the news sites running with this information, assuming that it was all above board. As it turns out, the copies that were uploaded were from Retromags, and they've been pulled from there as well, although not by request.

I declare, it's almost the same thing as going out there and reporting, "Hey, you can get an entire NES ROM set on archive.org, free of charge!" Instant ticket to getting your stuff pulled.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

There are other sites with the magazines. Like:
https://nparchive.net/
and
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/pdf-nint ... l-aug-1988

Since Nintendo is actively rereleasing parts of this backcatalog in other books:
https://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Lin ... 421575418/
I can see why they did this - even if I dont like it.

There is also a torrent out there of most issues of most 90s game magazines.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

The comics to me are the worst part except for Howard and Nester which are great. I want to read everything else. I can see where Nintendo feels they need to do this but I think the copyright laws are ridiculous and Nintendo hasn't done anything else with NP in ages, short of the aforementioned comics. It was bad enough they stopped publishing but give us something then Nintendo. Every time they do something decent, NES Classic, they do something worse to move backwards, every time.
ejamer
128-bit

Post by ejamer »

Ack wrote:
ejamer wrote:The tone of the OP is really annoying. I mean, what's the point of this thread?

To inform that it happened. The tone of your post is really annoying. I mean, what's the point of your response?

Point of my response is to point out that you're being a dick, in case you somehow weren't already aware.

This isn't some kind of "anti fan" move as you seem to suggest, and the copies that were posted online weren't authorized to being with. Reporting it after the fact, when people can't get the content, is just trying to drum up bitching and complaints.

That said, the thread ended up being useful when others talked about how they can be found (at least for now) elsewhere - so people who are interested can still check them out.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Chief, any implication of tone is on your end, based on some kind of misreading. You're now being a dick, and a rude one at that. I suggest you go reread the forum rules on behavior.