Retron 3 Compatability Questions

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Retron 3 Compatability Questions

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

Anyone here have a Retron 3 Genesis/NES/SNES clone?

I'm not normally one for clone consoles and while I have all three original systems and therefore don't need any sort of 3-in-1, I'm still interested in buying one.

I would like to know what games don't work on each, specifically either of Retrozone's Powerpaks.

I'm guessing the NES portion is a typical NOAC and therefore will have the typical issues with MMC5 games and suitably won't play the advanced NES Powerpak, but hey I gotta ask.

What about the SNES Powerpak? Super FX driven games such as Star Fox? What about Mario RPG?

What about the Genesis? Lots of Genesis clones don't quite get it right, often with extremely inaccurate audio and performance issues. Does it work with the Everdrive?

Lastly, what about controller compatibility issues? Anyone have controllers or peripherals that don't work with the Retron 3?

Thanks for any help.
galaxy_ranger
8-bit

Re: Retron 3 Compatability Questions

Post by galaxy_ranger »

Hi there,

I can answer some of your questions. I picked up a Retron 3 shortly after it came out, and have since sold it andbought original systems.

I found the Retro Duo superior for the NES side. Yeah, there were (for the most part) slight sound issues on some NES games with the Duo, but at least it could play Castlevania 3. The Retron 3 does not play it, but that was the only game I had an issue with. However, I wasn't going to have both my Duo and Retron 3 hooked up at the same time, one to play Castlevania 3 and the other to have slightly better sound for everything else.

The SNES side of things seemed to work quite well overall. Mario RPG is reported to not work with it (though I've heard statements that one of the earliest versions of Mario RPG that were shipped out could work, but they're rather rare and I have no idea personally if they would work). There was an interview on youtube with one of the creators that said Castlevania 3 would work, but Mario RPG would not. He was wrong about Castlevania 3, but I suspect he's right about Mario RPG. But all the SNES games I have here worked on it without issue.

The Genesis is supposed to work well, as it has s-video capability for it built in. I was having a display issue with a real Genesis that was also taking place with the Retron 3, so I didn't spend much time testing out the Genesis side too much.

I was using all original controllers for every system, and they all worked without issue. The only controller accessory I have is a multitap for the SNES, but I did not think to test it out, but I expect that it would work.

I found absolutely no reason to get the Retron 3, and I'm glad I was able to recover at least some of my money by selling it to someone who did want it. My advice would be to not get it, it was just a disappointment to me.
Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Super Gameboy adapter, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis model 1, Playstation 1, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo DS Lite
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

I understand your frustrations. I haven't bought a Famiclone in quite a while. I was just mostly curious of glue logic NOACs had advanced in recent years to communicate with the MMC5. Based on your answer, apparently not.

Still, it's not a big deal as I already have an NES, SNES and Genesis. I'm mainly interested in this for the sake of curiosity and convince. S-video for both SNES and Genesis is a nice step. The reason Mario RPG probably doesn't work is because the game requires a CIC lockout chip not present in most clones. If the motherboard has room for it, one can simply desolder a lockout chip from ANY SNES game (including worthless sports titles!).

Thanks for your help.

Remaining questions are if either Powerpak will work with it, if the Everdrive works, controller issues, other issues.
PSony
24-bit

Post by PSony »

NES side is ok. Dragon Warrior and Laser Invasion aren't compatible.

Genesis side is good. The sound is pretty accurate, unlike the Atgames clones. The only problem with the sound is the PSG is louder than the FM and there is a lot of bass. S-video is bright and sharp. For some reason, when you press the dpad or any button, the picture slightly darkens then brightens when you release the button. It's not really noticeable and only affects the Genesis side. I've tested about 100 Genesis carts and the only ones that don't work are Virtua Racing and Ecco Jr. Game Genie works. Sonic & Knuckles and any lock-on combo works. Super Street Fighter 2 works. I watched Gamester81's review of the Everdrive and he said it doesn't work on the Retron 3 or any clone system. All of my Genesis controller variants work except for the wireless controllers since the controller port spacing is different, so the wireless receivers won't fit. They might work when attached to extension cables.

SNES side is perfect. Works with all my games including Street Fighter Alpha 2. Super Mario RPG works (I probably have version 1.0). Super Game Boy works. Star Fox works. Sound is perfect. S-video is bright and sharp.

Composite output is dark for Genesis and SNES.

The included wireless controllers suck. They have to be pointed directly at the system. They will not register every button press if you button mash. X/Y/A/B is reversed for Genesis. L=C and R=Z for SNES (the controller diagram got it wrong).

S-video and composite cables are nice and thick.

The NES and Genesis cartridge connectors have deathgrips.

Here's a nice thread on the Retron 3:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... 47&page=11
scarface2099

Post by scarface2099 »

i own a retron 3.

every nes game and snes game i own(which is about 10 nes games, the more popular ones,and like 30 or 40 snes games.) works perfectly, very few minor graphical errors if any.

the one huge flaw is i only own 4 genesis games, and only 1 works

mighty morphin power rangers-DON'T work
mighty morphin power rangers the movie- DON'T work
x-men-DON'T work

when you put the game in a screen pops up saying this game can only be played in a genesis.

i also have x-men 2 which DOES work.

i don't actually own a genesis, so owning 4 games and having 3 of them not compatible really sucks.

i'm afraid to buy any genesis games because id be mad if i bought some games off ebay and they didn't work. if anyone knows where to see a nice big list of compatible genesis games please let me know, or if u own a retron 3 and many genesis games please write at least a few games that either work or don't work, that would help a lot.

Johnnycash06451@live.com
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

There are 2 versions of the retron 3. It has something to do with the retail box's size. I think the small one is newer and can work fine with nes Cv3. Everyother complaint is valid. a very informative review on ytube.
Last edited by vlame on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Rayban
16-bit

Post by Rayban »

I love my retron 3! I use it in a spare room where space is limited. I have only one game in my collection that doesn't work and that is rolling thunder for the NES. Castlevania 3 works perfectly. I don't have star fox or Mario rpg so I don't know about those.
Scarfacee2009: Did you play around with that switch on the back?
Image10001110101
thegamecamel

Post by thegamecamel »

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, I went ahead and registered to post an update to this issue. (Thanks Google!)

I purchased a Retron 3 a few months ago and overall I have to say I'm happy with it.

I don't have any SNES games at the moment, however I'm building a list of some. I remember hearing that games with super FX such as Star Fox and Mario RPG wouldn't work, so I decided to see what other games people are having problems with.

Haven't tried Castlevania 3 yet. Although I'm 99% sure theres another game you can add to the list:

Roadblasters for the NES. I've blown on the cart, cleaned it with some solution and a cue-tip, no results. Still getting a grey and black pixelated screen. I'm tempted to pick up another copy and test it, although wasting 5 bucks doesn't sound fun.

Can anybody else confirm this?
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Keep in mind there are two Retron 3's out there. The original came in a bigger box with a handle that has a flap on the front to reveal the system. That box also says "3-in-1" on it. The revised Retron 3, what's generally on the market now, is in a smaller box with no handle or flap that says "Tri-System" on it.

You can tell on the console itself if you look at the logo on the top right corner. The old Retron 3 says "RETRON 3" with a capitol "N" in the font. The new one says "RETROn 3" with a lowercase-style "n" instead.

The revised one has improved compatibility.

I have a version 2 Retron 3. Super FX games do work, Star Fox was the first game I tested and it plays just as well as it did on the SNES.

From what I've heard the older copies of Mario RPG will work but the version 2 ones will not. I'm not sure if that still stands or not because I don't own either version of the game.

Other than the Super Scope not working I'm not sure if there's any other known issues with the SNES compatibility.

As for the NES:

Castlevania 3 also works (though with reversed audio channels). The newer Retron 3 uses an updated NOAC. As far as I know any other game that uses the MMC chip line is also compatible now. I can only personally confirm Castlevania 3 though.

My Tengen Pac-Man fired right up, that's the only Tengen game I had to try out. Also despite the one poster above my copy of Dragon Warrior works fine.

I'm not sure about your Road Blasters problem I don't have a copy to try out. I had to really scrub my copy of The Guardian Legend to get it working so it may just be the cart. I've run into no problems after trying around 70 NES games.

I have around 200 Genesis games and I haven't run into one that doesn't work besides Virtua Racing. Sonic 3 and Knuckles even works fine. If a game doesn't work there's a switch on the back to change between region modes, that solved any problems I had with a Genesis game not working initially.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

thegamecamel wrote:I've blown on the cart, cleaned it with some solution and a cue-tip, no results.

Hello, welcome to the site. :)

I don't have a Retron 3 to contribute to that conversation, but just as an aside, don't blow on carts. The blinking thing with the NES was never a cart problem, it was the connector in the system. Normal plugs on other cart systems didn't have the problem and neither will the redesigned NES or any clone systems with a normal slot.

Blowing on the cart might remove some dust, but unless you've been storing carts out in the garage or using them to scrape dust bunnies from under the fridge there shouldn't be that much. The humidity and accidental spit from blowing in the cart actually makes things worse as it promotes corrosion as it dries. So please, don't blow in carts any more and tell others to stop doing so as well. :)