NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
itsmattxp
128-bit

Where to buy a gamebit to open a gamecube?

by itsmattxp Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:01 pm

Been searching on google, but I don't know if any of those online stores are reliable. I saw some on eBay but their description is not really well done and I don't know if they include the gamebits or not. Help me out, thanks!
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Where to buy a gamebit to open a gamecube?

by Hobie-wan Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:05 pm

http://electricquarter.com/tool-38mm-45 ... 0628ded0d3

Buy both sizes, you'll eventually want them both anyway. The bits from here are good quality. I've had mine for years and I use them all the time.
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:15 pm

I've bought them from playasia before.
itsmattxp
128-bit

by itsmattxp Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:17 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:http://electricquarter.com/tool-38mm-45mm-security-game-p-59.html?osCsid=f2ca598d1cdc9e76d5075f0628ded0d3

Buy both sizes, you'll eventually want them both anyway. The bits from here are good quality. I've had mine for years and I use them all the time.

Does that include the tool I have to put the bit on? Or do I have to buy that seperately?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:20 pm

itsmattxp wrote:
Hobie-wan wrote:http://electricquarter.com/tool-38mm-45mm-security-game-p-59.html?osCsid=f2ca598d1cdc9e76d5075f0628ded0d3

Does that include the tool I have to put the bit on? Or do I have to buy that seperately?

I'm pretty sure they sell one with the bit holder as well, but any standard hex magnetic driver handle will work. I'm sure you could find one of those at a dollar store if you don't have one.
avrame
128-bit

by avrame Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:22 am

You could always take the ghetto approach and try to use a bic pen :) Just get one of those clear bic pens made of hard plastic (not the white hollow ones) melt it with a lighter and shove it on the game bit/screw. Leave it there for like 10 seconds, and it'll harden making the end of the pen act as a perfect screw driver.

So far, I got this to work with a snes cart and a gamecube case.
If you aren't having a good time, why are you playing?
vlame
Next-Gen

by vlame Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:27 am

wow lol
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
jp1
Next-Gen

by jp1 Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:03 am

avrame wrote:You could always take the ghetto approach and try to use a bic pen :) Just get one of those clear bic pens made of hard plastic (not the white hollow ones) melt it with a lighter and shove it on the game bit/screw. Leave it there for like 10 seconds, and it'll harden making the end of the pen act as a perfect screw driver.

So far, I got this to work with a snes cart and a gamecube case.

This works. I have done it a few times without much problem. After you get the screws out the first time simply replace them with a standard screw of the same size.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Theres always a risk with this that you will damage the cart, leave broken plastic around the game bit, I have used this method myself, but if you can afford it, gamebits are the way to go, fast and easy.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:14 pm

emwearz wrote:Theres always a risk with this that you will damage the cart, leave broken plastic around the game bit, I have used this method myself, but if you can afford it, gamebits are the way to go, fast and easy.

Agree, Game bits are an inexpensive investment with less risk. Cost about same as swapping those screws out to regular phillips.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Return to Nintendo