Best Video Connections

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Best Video Connections

Post by Hobie-wan »

My 30001 PS2 fat is hooked up component and Ico works no problems.

For the 2600, there is a s-video mod. :mrgreen:
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I can verify that the following American systems can output RGB with a SCART cord without modding:
Genesis (not sure which models) & Nomad, SNES, X-Box original, PS1, PS2, Saturn, and Dreamcast.
I can't verify it, but there are scart cables for X-Box 360, and the PS3 can probably output to the PS1/2 SCART cable.
Using a SCART to Component adapter they'll output a great, clean picture on an NTSC TV.

Playstation 2's best video solution is a VGA cable (homemade or Blaze/Xploder) with a Blaze boot disk or homebrew/modchip VGA mode selector. Almost all games can be forced to output 480P or better.
If your VGA monitor supports Sync on Green, you can simply switch the PS2 to RGB mode, run a VGA mode selector, take the signal coming off a Component cable and wire it to the correct pins on a VGA socket. Unfortunately, most VGA monitors do not accept SOG.
To make a universal VGA cable you need to separate the sync signal coming from the green plug and output it on the correct VGA pin using a LM1881M or LM1881N chip. There is also a need to put a few capacitors in to get the colors correct.
I'm working on making one right now, and when I get it right, I plan to make a small lot and sell them here.
Here's my WIP mess (the final product should fit in a 1"x3" box).

I like the Phillips PH61150 automatic powered switch box. I have 2 chained together and don't see any signal degredation.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SGGG2
24-bit

Post by SGGG2 »

A French Atari outputs RGB via SCART.
cyborc
32-bit

Post by cyborc »

I can verify that Genesis 1-3 all output RGB. North American SNES can also output RGB but your scart cable needs to have 220uF Capacitors on the R, G, and B lines for a correct picture.
Segatari2002
24-bit

Post by Segatari2002 »

Here's a few I didn't see on your list

Atari Jaguar

Best non-modded solution: Svideo

TurboGrafx-16

Best non-modded solution: Composite/RCA
Note: requires either the TurboBooster or CD add-ons

Panasonic 3DO

Best non-modded solution: Svideo
Currently owned; Colecovision, Master System, TG-16/CD, SNES, Genesis/CD Mk1/32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Jaguar/CD, Xbox, Wii, and PS3!!!

Dreamcast Tracker; 209 of 248 NTSC-U games collected.

My B/S/T Thread; viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31756

Also, if anyone has the case art for Popful Mail (Sega CD), I'd like to speak with you!
thelolotov
32-bit

Post by thelolotov »

Anapan wrote:I can verify that the following American systems can output RGB with a SCART cord without modding:
Genesis (not sure which models) & Nomad, SNES, X-Box original, PS1, PS2, Saturn, and Dreamcast.
I can't verify it, but there are scart cables for X-Box 360, and the PS3 can probably output to the PS1/2 SCART cable.
Using a SCART to Component adapter they'll output a great, clean picture on an NTSC TV.

Playstation 2's best video solution is a VGA cable (homemade or Blaze/Xploder) with a Blaze boot disk or homebrew/modchip VGA mode selector. Almost all games can be forced to output 480P or better.
If your VGA monitor supports Sync on Green, you can simply switch the PS2 to RGB mode, run a VGA mode selector, take the signal coming off a Component cable and wire it to the correct pins on a VGA socket. Unfortunately, most VGA monitors do not accept SOG.
To make a universal VGA cable you need to separate the sync signal coming from the green plug and output it on the correct VGA pin using a LM1881M or LM1881N chip. There is also a need to put a few capacitors in to get the colors correct.
I'm working on making one right now, and when I get it right, I plan to make a small lot and sell them here.

I like the Phillips PH61150 automatic powered switch box. I have 2 chained together and don't see any signal degredation.

Alright, added your info to the guide, thanks!

And can you drop me a PM when you start selling those?
Shogun
32-bit

Post by Shogun »

I'm kind of confused by this list. For SNES for example it says the best NTSC nonmodded is S-video. However I thought you could get a japanese rgb cable and it'd be a done deal? Then on the PS1 it says RGB which would mean the Japanese RGB cable right? So is there a reason why one can use NTSC RGB cables and the other can't?

This is always a confusing topic. When is a European Scart cable acceptable? How about Japanese cables? Is the only difference between the two of them the pins so they can be configured differently? I've read quite a few topics on switching up the pin outs but then thats modding. It'd be nice if there was a plug and play solution but it seems like only Euro SCART cables are readily available leaving the NTSC folks left with the task of doing som emods or buying extra equipment.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

This list is really looking great, I'll add a link from my CRT vs LCD Guide if okay.

For PS1 US NTSC SVideo the best connection, RGB not very common here.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

cyborc
32-bit

Post by cyborc »

Shogun wrote:I'm kind of confused by this list. For SNES for example it says the best NTSC nonmodded is S-video. However I thought you could get a japanese rgb cable and it'd be a done deal? Then on the PS1 it says RGB which would mean the Japanese RGB cable right? So is there a reason why one can use NTSC RGB cables and the other can't?

This is always a confusing topic. When is a European Scart cable acceptable? How about Japanese cables? Is the only difference between the two of them the pins so they can be configured differently? I've read quite a few topics on switching up the pin outs but then thats modding. It'd be nice if there was a plug and play solution but it seems like only Euro SCART cables are readily available leaving the NTSC folks left with the task of doing som emods or buying extra equipment.

Right, Japanese RGB cables are the same shape as euro SCART but the pinout is different so you can't use a japanese rgb cable on a tv or converter that is wired for euro scart or vice versa.

this is the cable I use for my SNES http://cgi.ebay.com/SNES-Fully-Wired-RG ... 5640d9a121

it's from a uk seller but it has capacitors on the rGb lines which is needed for an ntsc snes.

as far as I know all playstation rgb scart cables should work on any ntsc or pal playstation without any need for modification like the snes cables have.
Shogun
32-bit

Post by Shogun »

cyborc wrote:
Right, Japanese RGB cables are the same shape as euro SCART but the pinout is different so you can't use a japanese rgb cable on a tv or converter that is wired for euro scart or vice versa.

this is the cable I use for my SNES http://cgi.ebay.com/SNES-Fully-Wired-RG ... 5640d9a121

it's from a uk seller but it has capacitors on the rGb lines which is needed for an ntsc snes.

as far as I know all playstation rgb scart cables should work on any ntsc or pal playstation without any need for modification like the snes cables have.

How do you get those rgb inputs into your tv? I am picking up a tri-sync monitor here in a few days and it has a bunch of inputs except component and scart. Could I take an scart switcher and then output the switchbox via scart to something like vga or 5-BNC? I'm in Norman, OK btw :)