AC Adapter Compilation

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: AC Adapter Compilation

Post by alienjesus »

Hobie-wan wrote:Argh, I keep forgetting to come back and make it into a guide.

In any case, look at the back of your GG. It should have something that specifies the voltage, polarity, and amperage. The wall spits out Alternating current wish has no polarity since the power flips directions back and forth. A US NES power brick puts out AC and I think some random old devices have bricks that do it too, but pretty much everything has a brick that spits out DC. Direct current goes in one direction, so it has a + and - side and most of the time the tip or hole in the end of the part that connects to your system is negative and the outer larger surface of it will be positive. This is the negative center and positive outside symbol you'll see on power bricks and the power information panel on devices.

So if the back of the GG says 9V DC 850mA with a +(•- then you need a brick with the same sized plug that has matching info printed on it. The mA/A bit can be higher on the brick than the device but everything else should match.

My GG says DC 9V 3W but I cant spot an ampage. I dont see a symbol like the one you've drawn in your comment?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

alienjesus wrote:My GG says DC 9V 3W but I cant spot an ampage. I dont see a symbol like the one you've drawn in your comment?

If your GG lists watts on your side of the pond, then the power bricks probably will too. Match the voltage and then the watts should be the same (or possibly higher) on the power brick I believe. There should be a semi-circle or a diamond with a dot in the middle somewhere on there that labels the outside. Most of the time the circle goes all the way around, but in any case it should look something like this one between the House and the CE.

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Hobie-wan wrote:
alienjesus wrote:My GG says DC 9V 3W but I cant spot an ampage. I dont see a symbol like the one you've drawn in your comment?

If your GG lists watts on your side of the pond, then the power bricks probably will too. Match the voltage and then the watts should be the same (or possibly higher) on the power brick I believe. There should be a semi-circle or a diamond with a dot in the middle somewhere on there that labels the outside. Most of the time the circle goes all the way around, but in any case it should look something like this one between the House and the CE.

*Had to look up what Amps and Watts measured in order to understand what was going on with that adapter*

Seriously, its not even a different measuring system like is normally the issue between the countries, why cant they both use either watts or amps and be done with it and stop confusing me :lol:

Anyhow, like I said before, my Game Gear definetely doesnt have one of those little drawings on it at all. There is precisely one lable on it, and it reads:

gamegearsticker wrote:SEGA GAME GEAR
MODEL No: MK-2110-50
RATING: DC 9V --3W
BATTERY: LR6 (AA) x6
USE SEGA ADAPTER ONLY
sega enterprises ltd made in taiwan

Is the drawing important? Am i gonna risk blowing something on this game gear if I don't find out what it is? I thought it was to do with the type of current, isnt that what the DC also represents, or am I being stupid? (ps, i fully expect its the latter, its more of a rhetorical question)
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

alienjesus wrote:
gamegearsticker wrote:RATING: DC 9V --3W

Is the drawing important? Am i gonna risk blowing something on this game gear if I don't find out what it is? I thought it was to do with the type of current, isnt that what the DC also represents, or am I being stupid? (ps, i fully expect its the latter, its more of a rhetorical question)

Well, it tells you 9 volts DC, and 3 watts. The type of current is indeed AC or DC. So the thing you're missing is the polarity. I just grabbed one of my GGs and it says 3 watts as well. I wasn't expecting that. Anyway, a US GG uses the same 2103 power brick as a US Genesis 2 and does specifically mention it on the sticker, which is positive tip. I doubt that it would be different for you but surely someone can confirm.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

alienjesus wrote:*Had to look up what Amps and Watts measured in order to understand what was going on with that adapter*

Seriously, its not even a different measuring system like is normally the issue between the countries, why cant they both use either watts or amps and be done with it and stop confusing me :lol:

Anyhow, like I said before, my Game Gear definetely doesnt have one of those little drawings on it at all. There is precisely one lable on it, and it reads:

gamegearsticker wrote:SEGA GAME GEAR
MODEL No: MK-2110-50
RATING: DC 9V --3W
BATTERY: LR6 (AA) x6
USE SEGA ADAPTER ONLY
sega enterprises ltd made in taiwan
Not a great analogy
Think of volts and AC or DC as the power requirement or a water faucet.
Amps and Watts is how big a garden hose needed to fill a leaking bucket.

Convert Watts and Amps
Amps multiplied by Volts equals Watts
10 amp x 120 volt = 1200 watts

Watts divided by Volts equals Amps
1200 watts / 120 volts = 10 Amps
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Cheers CRT, thats actually what I looked up last night.

Right, so after finding out the stats for the mega drive 2 and master system 2 adapters one of them will definetely work. They seem to have the correct voltage, slighty more ampage and they are DC. However, WHICH one is proving tricky - the SMS charger has a negative inside and the MD one has a postitive inside - so I don't really wanna get the wrong one. I cant find the details online anywhere - any help? Any Europeans here with a PAL GG adapter?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

I don't see how you would damage your Game Gear if the polarity is backwards. Same as putting batteries in backwards it just won't work. If by chance you get the wrong polarity, a simple matter of reversing the wires. Solder and heat shrink.

Maybe someone who has a Euro Game Gear could check the power brick with a voltmeter?

Found this:
http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=93401

Another way to confirm voltage requirements of a portable is to add up the batteries. AA, AAA, C and D all have 1.5 volts average. Six batteries adds up to Nine Volts. Trick is to get a power brick with enough Amps or Watts.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

jinn
128-bit

Post by jinn »

Can someone post the info for a
SONY PSone LDC Power Adapter

Thanks
PSone, Xbox, PS2, DC, SS Mod Service, PM for details
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

jinn wrote:Can someone post the info for a
SONY PSone LDC Power Adapter

Thanks
Same as the PSOne power adaptor. See Hobie 's list on the first page.

jinn
128-bit

Post by jinn »

I know it looks the same and it's
7.5v DC, but the #A is different not sure if it's 4A or 5A
neg --( o-- pos

The PSone Power Adapter model # is SCPH-113
The PSone LCD Screen Power Adapter model # is SCPH-121
PSone, Xbox, PS2, DC, SS Mod Service, PM for details