SNES-no sound problem

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
izdead
32-bit

SNES-no sound problem

Post by izdead »

Ok, so I have a snes that plays games perfectly with no problems, but then a few mounths ago the sound just stopped coming out. It still plays fine just without sound. And I know my cables and connections are fine cause i have another snes with no sound problems.

Has this happened to anyone? Is it common? Can it be fixed?

Also anther problem I have is with my Genesis model 2. I get these white vertical lines across the screen, which makes it suck to play games. I'm hoping I just need to clean the games and system since I never have. Thoughts?
systems: SNES, NES, Sega Genisis, Sega CD, N64, PSone, XBOX, XBOX360 (RROD), GameBoy, GBA
Reverend
Next-Gen

Re: SNES-no sound problem

Post by Reverend »

Are you using av cables or coax?
izdead
32-bit

Post by izdead »

Reverend wrote:Are you using av cables or coax?

I'm using the original coax cable.
systems: SNES, NES, Sega Genisis, Sega CD, N64, PSone, XBOX, XBOX360 (RROD), GameBoy, GBA
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

If you're using coax, the white lines on the Gen could just be interference. If you un/replug or move the cord around, do the white lines change or move?

The sound hardware in the earlier SNES without the sticker next to the power switch is a separate module. That's one more connection that could have come loose if the console has been knocked around. Later ones with the sticker (but still not mini) its all just one board. But if the SNES is hooked up coax as well and you're not getting sound, might take someone having a look inside.
Reverend
Next-Gen

Post by Reverend »

My model one Genesis was completely shot as far as coax goes. I highly recommend investing in some AV cables. It looks great!
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

izdead wrote:Also anther problem I have is with my Genesis model 2. I get these white vertical lines across the screen, which makes it suck to play games.

This is actually the fault of the cheap video encoders that Sega used on the Model 2 Genesis systems, get a Model 1 or the later 3/4 motherboard Model 2 and those lines will disappear along with a noticeable jump in sound quality.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
izdead
32-bit

Post by izdead »

Hobie-wan wrote:If you're using coax, the white lines on the Gen could just be interference. If you un/replug or move the cord around, do the white lines change or move?

The sound hardware in the earlier SNES without the sticker next to the power switch is a separate module. That's one more connection that could have come loose if the console has been knocked around. Later ones with the sticker (but still not mini) its all just one board. But if the SNES is hooked up coax as well and you're not getting sound, might take someone having a look inside.

The white lines don't move at all.

The SNES does have the sticker. I've had it since like 4th grade so its definitely been knocked around a good bit. Its a little sad to see it go since it was my first console.
izdead
32-bit

Post by izdead »

Reverend wrote:My model one Genesis was completely shot as far as coax goes. I highly recommend investing in some AV cables. It looks great!

I don't have any av cables for my Geni other wise I probably would.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

izdead wrote:The SNES does have the sticker. I've had it since like 4th grade so its definitely been knocked around a good bit. Its a little sad to see it go since it was my first console.

Bleh, every time someone posts about having issues with a console, I wanna say let me have a look. I'm no expert, but I've revived several consoles with a good clean and tinkering. But with the exception of 2 of you that I know of, you're all too far away. Bleh.
izdead
32-bit

Post by izdead »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:
izdead wrote:Also anther problem I have is with my Genesis model 2. I get these white vertical lines across the screen, which makes it suck to play games.

This is actually the fault of the cheap video encoders that Sega used on the Model 2 Genesis systems, get a Model 1 or the later 3/4 motherboard Model 2 and those lines will disappear along with a noticeable jump in sound quality.

How can you tell when one is a 3/4 motherboard Model 2?