SNES malfuctions and issues (recycled thread)

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
nightrnr
Next-Gen

SNES malfuctions and issues (recycled thread)

Post by nightrnr »

I am using this thread again to hopefully find help for my 2 broken SNES systems. See my latest post for details:

Let me get the usual out of the way:
Yes, I did a search for help and found related problems, but not exactly the right issue. Also, they are very old topics (2+ years) and I see no reason to bother bumping any of them.

Okay,
so I just got my spare SNES back that I lent to my nephews.

I noticed some rattling in the system so I opened it up to clean out some small small plastic shards from the system housing that had broken off. Really didn't do anything to it otherwise.

So I turn it on and find some strange problem with some of the video in the sprite layer. Some sprites have vertical bars through them and/or discoloration making them look terrible.

Here are some examples:
(Actual Official Game Carts were used on an original Super Nintendo System hooked up via official/standard composite cables to an old Tube SDTV. The system and carts were cleaned effectively and tested with 2 different official power supply cords with the same results).
Super Mario World
[spoiler]Image
Donkey Kong Country

Weird right?
Does anyone know what I can do to restore the system to it's original sprite ability, or at least what is causing the vertical mess in certain sprites?
Last edited by nightrnr on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
...just another lost soul...
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: SNES minor but annoying Video Issue

Post by Hobie-wan »

If everything is good and clean, it might just have gotten damaged. I bet it was dropped if there were bits broken off and rattling inside. :?
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Hobie-wan wrote:If everything is good and clean, it might just have gotten damaged. I bet it was dropped if there were bits broken off and rattling inside. :?

Well, the system wasn't the prettiest console to begin with (hence why it was my lender). Seems pretty sturdy though; the only pieces broken were superficial and cosmetic. Nothing indicated trauma to the board itself once I opened it.

But even if it was damaged, I have a hard time believing that it's irreparable. If I can pinpoint a cause maybe I can do something to restore it?

Do you think replacing some caps would make a difference? I'm not a stranger to a soldering iron, when necessary.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

If the console is yellowed, then the plastic could break easily without it being dropped or knocked around hard. When yellow, the plastic becomes brittle and breaks fairly easily.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: SNES annoying Video Issue

Post by nightrnr »

Yes, the bottom half of the system is quite yellowed and that is pretty much where it has chipped off in places.

Also, while my nephews can be rough on things sometimes, the broken pieces could have already been there, and I really don't remember. I do know that there were no video problems before though.

I tried another few games just to see how widespread the graphic glitches were. Castlevania IV is really bad. Any place that has Simon walking with backround/foregrond effects, he gains a chameleon like ability. You can barely see him in some places (sorry, no pics this time).

I did some more reading though and new caps might fix the issue (or possibly a new voltage regulator?)
This link was especially interesting to me:
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5078.0

I don't have all the needed caps right now, so I'll have to order some. It won't be soon, but long term, I hope to bring my dirty old SNES to original operating standards.
I may mod my other SNES (a mini) to be S-video capable while I'm at it.
Really I'm just obsessed with the system right now.

--EDIT--
Okay, so I ordered a few things and will try a couple fixes in a week or 2.
I am going to test the voltage regulator to see if it is outputting the needed 5v. If not, I will replace that 1st to see if there is any improvement.
Otherwise, the caps are simple enough to change out.
I really hope that one of these fixes work, because the death of an SNES, while not a terribly expensive loss, would just be sad :cry: .
MaxWar
8-bit

Post by MaxWar »

Sounds like a logic problem to me.

Could be a bad trace/solder joint.
Could be an issue with some Ram chip.
Maybe the issue is inside the PPU. Could not say.

Don't give up, maybe also try on assembler forums. There are some very knowledgeable blokes about electronic console repair there.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Okay, so I changed out all the caps and replaced the voltage regulator.
After a scary moment with a damaged solder point on the big cap, I at least still have a system that powers on and starts a game.

...but it still has the same problem.

I had hoped that a chip somewhere wasn't getting the juice it needed, but I have effectively ruled that out.

The thing is, I have heard similar problems from other people in my (newly started) research. My fear is that this is the fate of all SNES systems.
I would really like to know how to remedy it so that I can continue my SNES gaming well into the future without worry.

@MaxWar
I will check with the assembler forum in the near future, so thank you for the reference :) .
I have read that this is a possible PPU issue. If I knew what chip or contact to reflow, maybe that could be the solution, but if it's just a bad PPU chip, I'm afraid all is for naught.

Otherwise, I'm still open for other suggestions.
MaxWar
8-bit

Post by MaxWar »

nightrnr wrote:Okay, so I changed out all the caps and replaced the voltage regulator.
After a scary moment with a damaged solder point on the big cap, I at least still have a system that powers on and starts a game.

...but it still has the same problem.

I had hoped that a chip somewhere wasn't getting the juice it needed, but I have effectively ruled that out.

The thing is, I have heard similar problems from other people in my (newly started) research. My fear is that this is the fate of all SNES systems.
I would really like to know how to remedy it so that I can continue my SNES gaming well into the future without worry.

@MaxWar
I will check with the assembler forum in the near future, so thank you for the reference :) .
I have read that this is a possible PPU issue. If I knew what chip or contact to reflow, maybe that could be the solution, but if it's just a bad PPU chip, I'm afraid all is for naught.

Otherwise, I'm still open for other suggestions.

Such problem can be hard to diagnose, but some people have a lot of experience.
Anything short of an ASIC or out of production chip can be replaced. Indefinitely, as long as the part is still being produced.

You can also make a good console with two bad ones. I have a SNES that I suspect has a faulty CPU, but the PPU is good. I could transfer the PPU in your console and resurrect it. For this reason it is important to not destroy or chuck faulty consoles, but find someone who can fix them.

Many people do not really care for the console itself, they only care for it's current monetary value. That is why so many are destroyed instead of repaired.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

MaxWar wrote:You can also make a good console with two bad ones. I have a SNES that I suspect has a faulty CPU, but the PPU is good. I could transfer the PPU in your console and resurrect it. For this reason it is important to not destroy or chuck faulty consoles, but find someone who can fix them.

Many people do not really care for the console itself, they only care for it's current monetary value. That is why so many are destroyed instead of repaired.

YES !

I cringe at the thought of this.
MaxWar
8-bit

Post by MaxWar »

Ziggy587 wrote:
MaxWar wrote:You can also make a good console with two bad ones. I have a SNES that I suspect has a faulty CPU, but the PPU is good. I could transfer the PPU in your console and resurrect it. For this reason it is important to not destroy or chuck faulty consoles, but find someone who can fix them.

YES !

I cringe at the thought of this.

It is even worse when you realize how common and for what silly reason it happens...

Last summer I was at a local game store and saw a SNES that was laying near the door with the top unscrewed. I asked the dude what was up with it.

And he said: " oh its messed up, it is out for the trash ".

So I asked what the problem was. He said that he could not connect the AC adapter..
The plastic was broken where you connect the AC input.

I told him: "You know it is repairable right?"

He then asked me if I wanted it. So I took it home. And here is what happened to this console. It is now merrily playing games again. ( Edit: But it uses a sega PSU now XD )