Month of Horror 8: The Hellworld Gospel Resurrection Legacy

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Month of Horror 8: The Hellworld Gospel Resurrection Leg

Post by Jagosaurus »

Decided to go ahead and post this although this thread is more about movies and games...

I took these 2 photos on 4/23/17. Use CRTL - to zoom out and get a better feel for the image. Zoomed in doesn't do it much justice.

My master bathroom is upstairs and I felt as if someone was staring at me. I just had an eerie feeling. This was on the window looking back at me. I was pretty freaked out and tried to wipe it off with a towel. It wouldn't budge. It eventually faded over roughly 10 minutes. The would be puncture mark on the forehead does resemble a bullet hole. Unfortunately, I did have a family member pass away from a gun accident (not suicide) :( ... roughly 65 years ago. I hate to even bring that up because I don't want to dramatize his death and what it cost my Mom's family. While not a definitive ghost photo... it is creepy. My wife doesn't even like talking about it. She watched me attempting to clean it off with no luck. In real life, the face was more detailed. You could see the outline of teeth, similar to how they look in a X-Ray. It slightly shows in the photos. This is the first time I've shared this...

Enhanced 1 - Lighting Edit Only

Original 1

Enhanced 2 - Lighting Edit Only

Original 2
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

for this week's Spooky Tuesday date night, my wife and I played Oxenfree. This was another title that I got as a freebie via Games For Gold, and another I probably would have overlooked otherwise. We're about two hours in now and really enjoying it. It's sort of like a point-n-click adventure; sort of like a choose-your-own adventure game with impressive dialogue trees. The art is really pretty and the tone is somewhere between Buffy and the X-Files. Or, maybe the modern Riverdale is a better point of reference.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I'm running behind. Guess I'm gonna have to put in some work this weekend to get caught back up. That doesn't mean I haven't watched anything though...

The Body Snatcher

In a nod to the unethical medical experiments which were happening during World War II, this gothic tale covers a young medical student who discovers the doctor he is studying under has a ghoulish means of acquiring bodies: a carriage driver brings him stolen corpses, or possibly even commits murder to acquire them. What the young student doesn't know is that the driver also knows the doctor's darkest secret.

Murder, betrayal, loathing, and blackmail are all part of another Val Lewton-produced classic, though this time Lewton worked with a different director, and it shows. The dreamlike quality of Lewton's other films isn't present here; instead, we have the acting talents of Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi in the last time they would ever appear in a film together. Karloff is especially good here; it's worth watching just for his cunning eyes and wicked smile.

A Bay of Blood

Mario Bava's work was highly influential in reshaping Italian cinema, creating the giallo, and here giving a precursor for what would become the proper slasher film. Many of the elements that slashers are known for are found here, though it's not fully formed, so focusing on the exact tropes can get you in trouble. A Bay of Blood is more like a stepping stone between the giallo and the slasher, so while it's heavy on the gore, it misses steps and feels disjointed. The ending is both cruel and disturbingly satisfying though.

Basically there is a bay, and quite a few folks are interested in who is going to inherit the land around it, be it for development or to keep its natural beauty. But who is actually murdering the people around the bay? There are a lot of twists and turns here, almost to the point of ridiculousness. That said, Friday the 13th Part 2 lifted two whole murder scenes, and the body count is quite high. Do you want to see a lot of folks get killed? Well, here you go.

Kill, Baby, Kill

This movie has been highly praised for its visual style, and it's often lauded as Mario Bava's greatest work. The gothic atmosphere is beautifully atmospheric, if a little heavy on the cobwebs, and the plot of a doctor sent to a remote village to perform an autopsy only to find out firsthand about the village's curse is so well put together that it made me want to rip it off verbatim. Seriously, that town is creepy in all the best ways...even if the cobwebs are a bit much.

Superstition meets science in Kill, Baby, Kill, but while superstition wins the day, the calm and collected mind of the doctor is what makes him the hero. It's a classic warning, where the brilliant skeptic is forced to confront his skepticism and the inability of science to always provide an immediate explanation, while those that manipulate supernatural powers instead find themselves consumed by those powers. Fear, sacrifice, torture, suicide, and a creepy little girl watching you from the window are all pieces of the puzzle. This movie is amazing.

Leprechaun 2

This movie is not amazing. In fact, it's quite dumb, and I don't really have much kind to say about it. The plot has some ridiculously huge holes, the leprechaun's kills are just bizarre, and the constant rhymes he has to spout get old quick. That said, Warwick Davis was obviously having fun, so who am I to complain? I find these movies are best watched specifically to see him goof off more than anything else.

Dark Water

This is what boredom looks like. Dark Water came from the 2000s obsession with remaking Japanese horror films for the American movie audience, but unfortunately this one is more an exercise in tedium than anything else. What was meant to be a dark and dread-inspiring atmosphere instead only feels drab and dull. Every now and again the film tries for a jump scare, but even these feel at most half-assed. And then there are the plot lines, where interesting side characters appear, and then the film does nothing with them. Why is Tim Roth lying about having a family? Who was that lady at work? How scummy is John C. Reilly? We'll never get to know.

The sad thing is, at times there are things here which could have made for an interesting tale, but it never seems to go anywhere. I feel more let down by this movie than anything else. The production is well done, the cast is excellent, but I guess the script just couldn't keep it together. I'm curious about the Japanese original though.

23/31

1.Poltergeist II: The Other Side
2. Ring
3. Ring 2
4. Rasen
5. We Are Still Here
6. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
7. Hellraiser: Bloodline
8. Hellraiser: Inferno
9. Pulgasari
10. I Walked with a Zombie
11. Hellraiser: Hellseeker
12. The Leopard Man
13. Hellraiser: Deader
14. Hellraiser: Hellworld
15. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
16. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
17. Contamination
18. Exorcist II: The Heretic
19. The Body Snatcher
20. A Bay of Blood
21. Kill, Baby, Kill
22. Leprechaun 2
23. Dark Water
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Bay of Blood is Twitch of the Death Nerve right?
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yep, different name, same film.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I'm glad you enjoyed Mario Bava's Kill, Baby, Kill. It is one of my very favorites. Have you explored much more of his early filmography? If not, please do so ASAP!

My wife and I watched The Horror of Dracula (1958) recently. It took me about 40 minutes to realize we had seen it before. It is still solid, though, and while Christopher Lee may be only the second best Dracula, no one will ever measure up to Peter Cushing's Vsn Helsing. :D

We also watched The Devil's Candy (2017), which absolutely earned all of its great reviews:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_devils_candy/

It is absolutely superb, and it is probably the best horror movie I have seen since The Witch. I went in expecting a heavy metal influenced horror comedy like Deathgasm, but I quickly realized it is a "serious" horror film infused with actual meaning. Moreover, it is incredibly well-acted, and the main characters are very well-developed. (The awkward murderer/villain fumbling with a handgun - his preferred method of execution involves a rock and a handsaw - is simultaneously terrifying and heartbreaking.). I really cannot recommend it highly enough - especially to fans of heavy metal and slow-burn horror - and any of you with Netflix can stream it instantly. :D
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Jagosaurus wrote:Decided to go ahead and post this although this thread is more about movies and games...

Very interesting story and photos. Thanks for sharing.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

I did actually just recently buy the Japanes original but it will take a while to arrive. I do recommend the dark water short story collection. I don't really care much about Koji Suzuki's other books but there's couple of really good short stories in that collection. The stories there aren't really scary but can be eerie and there's one wonderful story that will hit people with claustrophobia.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

The Devil's Candy is good? Well I'll have to check it out now. I've gotten really tired of "stereotypical" possession movies (especially when they are based on stories from well known con artists :roll: ), and was scared it'd be one of those, but if it's recommended I'll give it a go.

I watched "Would you rather?" Tuesday night. Well done, and in a very similar vein as "Cheap Thrills", the main difference being the former leans more towards horror and the latter more towards exploitation. I recommend both.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:The Devil's Candy is good? Well I'll have to check it out now. I've gotten really tired of "stereotypical" possession movies (especially when they are based on stories from well known con artists :roll: ), and was scared it'd be one of those, but if it's recommended I'll give it a go.

It's really, really good. It hints early on that it's a haunted house/possession movie, but it ends up being more of a serial killer/slasher(?) movie. It remains the best horror film I've seen this season.

Every year, I also try to do some horror reading in October. Last year, I read several of Edgar Allen Poe's lesser known works, and the year before that I read a lot of H.P. Lovecraft. This year, I read Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House. It is the basis for one of my favorite horror films, and the book did not disappoint. Her prose is wonderful, and it moves at a brisk pace towards its inevitable, tragic(?) conclusion. I am going to ask my wife to read both because I think she will enjoy it and because I would like her perspective on the mid-century gender issues just below the story's surface. I highly recommend it, and since it isn't too long, anyone looking to breeze through a classic of the horror fiction genre likely still has time to breeze through it between now and Halloween.