Month of Horror 8: The Hellworld Gospel Resurrection Legacy

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Kuruwin
64-bit

Re: Month of Horror 8: The Hellworld Gospel Resurrection Leg

Post by Kuruwin »

Candyman has way too many jump scares. I did like the setting but i didn't really like it in general either.

Witch is really good but it's more suspenseful than scary.

The Skeleton Key i remember being good but it's been eon since i last seen and i have no idea what i would think of it now.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Kuruwin wrote:Witch is really good but it's more suspenseful than scary.

I much prefer suspense over jump scares, so this is nice to hear.

---

On the horror gaming front, tonight I tried out Hysteria Project and Manhunt 2 on PSP. Well Hysteria Project was an FMV game about being chased by an axe wielding psycho through the woods. However it was overly punitive with its random QTEs, forcing the player to rewatch scenes over and over if they failed. Also the video quality was terrible due to being overly compressed. So I quickly lost interest. As for Manhunt 2... it's a roughshod try-hard compared to the original Manhunt. I enjoyed and finished the original Mahunt, a legit classic IMO. However Manhunt 2 is just nowhere near as good. I actually tried playing Manhunt 2 on PS2 back when it originally released, but quit due to being annoyed at the censored death scenes. Well, the PSP version I was playing was uncensored, but even with that benefit, the game design was still terrible, and after an hour and a half, that was enough for me. I wish Manhunt 2 was as good as the first Manhunt, but it's simply not, so moving on. Don't know what horror game I'll try next, but I'll try something else tomorrow night.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

Watched Tourist Trap which was interesting at first when it played around with mannequins but it quickly turns to something else and then it's just stupid flick with shitty twist that you can see mile away. There's even short odd comedy bit towards the end which probably kills the mood for those few that were still draw to this. If it was more like the more eerie first part instead of the weird texas chainsaw massacre inspired later portion then it could have somewhat of gem.

The following two clips are the only things worth watching out of it

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I always thought Tourist Trap sucked. Yeah.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Yeah.... If MST3k or Rifftrax tackles it, than you know it's probably going to suck.
marurun

Post by marurun »

This Island Earth wasn't really a bad film, though MST3K did still have a good time with it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

That's true. They have covered several things that were ridiculous, but still entertaining without the commentary.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:I put together a list of potential horror movies to watch, which I have not seen yet. I'm not saying I will watch all of these in October. But I'll watch some of them:

Candyman (1992)
The Awakening (2011)
The Devil's Backbone (2001)
The Orphanage (2007)
The Pact (2012)
The Skeleton Key (2005)
The Vanishing (1988)
The Witch (2015)

Candy man is solid. So are The Devil's Backbone and The Orphanage. The Witch is amazing, but The Pact is not.

Some I think you'll like:

The Bay
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Cube
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1977)
Honeymoon (2014)
John Dies at the End
Oculus
Phantasm
The Thing (1982)

So,e of these are available for streaming, and I will have to see if I can think of some more.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Oculus was very cool. (y'all know that's Nebula in that movie, right???)

Silent House is fresh in my mind as another movie that's far more interesting than you'd expect.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:The Bay
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Cube
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1977)
Honeymoon (2014)
John Dies at the End
Oculus
Phantasm
The Thing (1982)

I've seen Body Snatchers, Cube (great movie), Phantasm, and The Thing. The rest I'll look into, thanks!

The original Silent Hill movie was great. It was far better than I expected when I saw it in the theater way back when.

Anybody who hasn't seen Session 9, please watch it this October. Alone. In the dark.
Last edited by Exhuminator on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.