Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Austin, Texas Rackeboy members' meet on 8/20/2010

by wip3outguy7 Mon May 31, 2010 3:10 pm

When?
August 20th

Destructoid is holding a pretty large thing at Game Over on Saturday night 8/21/2010... So those of you who are coming from other cities may want to take this into consideration and decide if you want to extend your stay. Destrictoid's event will start at 6pm on Saturday and they are expecting 30+ to attend. Registration is required to take part in their tourneys!
details: http://destructoidforums.com/showpost.p ... stcount=74

Where?
Game Over Video Games in Austin, TX at the Lamar & 183 location.

Hwy 183 @ Lamar Blvd. (near Hobby Lobby and Bingo)
911 W. Anderson Ln., Suite #106 Austin, TX 78757

http://www.gameovervideogames.com

What time?
2pm - 6pm

We will start setting up at 12 noon. If you want to help set up, be at Game Over at noon and we will start putting things together and testing stuff out. The meet/gathering/event/whatever will officially begin at 2pm. We will start breaking down at 6pm so that everything can be out of there by 9pm. After hours events can be discussed at the event.

What will we be doing?
This will be a shmups and beat em' ups day. Systems will be Genesis, Saturn and Playstation 2. This keeps things more organized and means hooking up less stuff.

This is basically going to be a group of people gaming on a few consoles at the rear of the store, mingling and getting to know each other. There are a lot of members in the area but none of us have ever gotten together to hang out. Hopefully this meeting will change that.

We are putting together a list of games further into the thread so feel free to add any suggestions or offer any games you may be able to bring.

What games will we be playing?

PS2
Metal Slug Anthology
Ghost in the Shell SAC
Taito Legends 2
The Red Star
Contra Shattered Soldier

Saturn
Die Hard Arcade
Guardian Heroes
Soukyugurentai Otokuyo
Layer Section/Galactic Attack
Sexy Parodius
Salamander Deluxe Pack
Shienryu

Genesis
Streets of Rage 1
Streets of Rage 2
Battle Mania Daiginjou
Contra Hard Corps
Gunstar Heroes

Check below for rules and other information!]

-Friday, August 20th is the official date unless something big happens and we need to change.

-We can bring systems/games/TVs. They also suggested power strips.

-Games and equipment brought by you should be fully disclosed to the Game Over staff to keep things legit and courteous.

-No food and drink in the store. There is a large parking lot and even a small park area near the courtyard of the shopping complex. Game Over would appreciate it if we keep this outside.

-RSVP? I don't think we will need to put this in effect as I doubt the meeting will get very large. Game Over believes about 20 people can fit in the museum area. Any more than this and we may need to consider another setting. Spilling out into Game Over's retail space and affecting business would be a big no no on our part. So keep in mind this is a gathering, not a convention. :D

Game Over has encouraged us to film the event. Hey, it's good business for their store!

And now a public service announcement...

Some moral rules and street smart tips:

-Game Over is a legitimate business. That's right, I'm going to go there: No burns or flash carts. If you aren't bringing a retail copy, don't bring it at all. If you are afraid to bring a valuable game and are considering this as an excuse to bring a burn or flash cart, don't bring it at all.

-Use some common sense if you are bringing your own stuff. If you are bringing a pricey accessory or a high value game, keep track of it. Treat it like EVO and take your $100 + arcade stick with you if you are leaving for a bite to eat or stepping out for just a second to take a phone call.

-Don't mess up other people's stuff. This should go without saying, but don't toss a controller in frustration.

-Another thing that should go without saying but I'll mention it anyway: Be nice. Don't mad dog someone if they are winning. No shit talking.

-If you disagree with pricing or anything business related with Game Over, keep it to yourself. Remember this is a business and comparing video game retail store prices to garage sale prices doesn't make you sound cool.

Equipment?

Hobie: I can also bring 2 6 foot heavy extension cords I made, since 100 foot ones are overkill most of the time. I have a single crappy power strip I can bring if I remember to grab it from the garage. I also might bring cleaning crap for systems.

wip3outguy7: 14" CRT TV, HRAP2SA, 2 PSX to Saturn controller converters, 2 Saturn controllers

Replica: 13" CRT TV, Saturn controller

TVs: Go ahead and bring them if you have them. Game Over is happy to allow us to use their Giant (think 32"+) CRT TVs that were in use during the "Classic Games Fest" summer tournaments. There are no stands so we will be gaming on the floor, but I doubt anyone will care. :D Epic Giant CRTs FTW.

Contact me through PM or IM (wip3outguy7 on both yahoo or aim) if you have suggestions or can offer to bring equipment.
Last edited by wip3outguy7 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:40 am, edited 26 times in total.
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: Central Texas Rackeboy member's meet

by Luke Mon May 31, 2010 3:35 pm

I'd like to go, but can't guarantee I can.

Please pm me updates.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon May 31, 2010 3:39 pm

Sounds good to me. Probably needs to be at least 2 themed though to make sure there's something for everyone. For instance a fighting game meetup wouldn't interest me as I'd just get my ass whupped and be bored after 10 minutes if it was say SFII, and pretty much anything else isn't worth me even button mashing. :lol:

Maybe make it a weekend though so it's worth it for those that would be traveling.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

by wip3outguy7 Mon May 31, 2010 3:45 pm

Luke wrote:I'd like to go, but can't guarantee I can.

Please pm me updates.

That would be awesome if you could make it!

Hobie-wan wrote:Sounds good to me. Probably needs to be at least 2 themed though to make sure there's something for everyone. For instance a fighting game meetup wouldn't interest me as I'd just get my ass whupped and be bored after 10 minutes if it was say SFII, and pretty much anything else isn't worth me even button mashing. :lol:

Maybe make it a weekend though so it's worth it for those that would be traveling.

Agreed. I think we might even get away with specifying a specific system. Like a Genesis day, or NES day.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon May 31, 2010 4:06 pm

Too bad for me I live in a medium sized town in north-central texas and the closest city with even a similar population size are all over 100 miles away.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon May 31, 2010 4:17 pm

AppleQueso wrote:Too bad for me I live in a medium sized town in north-central texas and the closest city with even a similar population size are all over 100 miles away.

It is about a 3 hour drive for me. You can do it!
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon May 31, 2010 4:18 pm

NOT WITHOUT A CAR 8)
Flake

by Flake Mon May 31, 2010 4:19 pm

Any thoughts on a venue or location in Austin?

AppleQueso wrote:NOT WITHOUT A CAR 8)

C'mon, you've got till August. Just get a satchel together, pack some food, and start your journey.
Last edited by Flake on Mon May 31, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon May 31, 2010 4:21 pm

Pfft. If it's going to be in a few months, you've got plenty of time to exercise for a nice bike ride. We would even only expect you to bring a few games so your backpack doesn't way too much. :lol:
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Mon May 31, 2010 4:43 pm

Like that's an excuse, I'm coming and I live in another continent.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever