Tank Controls

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
joehero
32-bit

Tank Controls

Post by joehero »

There's no nice way to put this. I HATE tank controls! I like to go back and play some retro games, such as, Resident Evil or as Im trying to play now Onimusha. But this style of control frustrates me to no end! It seems so slow and difficult, almost to the point that I want to give up(but wont). Is is just me?
GamerMON
Next-Gen

Re: Tank Controls

Post by GamerMON »

No I never got into the resident evil games because of that control scheme.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

They are the only reason I wont go back and play Jade Cocoon.
latenitevacancy
64-bit

Post by latenitevacancy »

yeah, for that reason i can't get into the old resident evil games. i've tried on a few accounts, and i'll probably try again, but it definitely makes games with that control setup much harder to get into.
Oh, come on, don't leave your uncle T-Bag hangin'!
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

Tank controls are awesome. By which I mean real tank controls, where you have a forward and backward axis for each tread on the tank. If you want to turn, push forward on one axis and backwards on the other. Try Battlezone (arcade) to see what I mean.

Combat (atari) style tank control is obviously garbage.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Ack

Post by Ack »

Tank controls are an acquired taste...and by that, I mean I acquired mine back in 1997-1998 and have stayed used to it. Eventually you can get some relatively fluid motion down, but it's certainly not comfortable to learn, especially considering what 3D movement in games is like nowadays. It's like going back to play Doom...

Anyway, perhaps it might not be a bad idea to try Resident Evil 3 then? If nothing else, RE3 provided a quick turn button, so you could pull a 180 degree turn in an instant to get out of encounters. You can also learn to roll your thumb over the directional buttons in ways that can provide fluid motion to help avoid zombies, turning as you run, but it does take some getting used to.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

The previously-referenced control scheme never bothered me at all. I mean, it's not much different than the control scheme used in a ton of top and three-quarter-view racing games, or even Asteroids.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

joehero wrote:There's no nice way to put this. I HATE tank controls! I like to go back and play some retro games, such as, Resident Evil or as Im trying to play now Onimusha. But this style of control frustrates me to no end! It seems so slow and difficult, almost to the point that I want to give up(but wont). Is is just me?

I don't care too much for "Tank Controls" scheme on older Resident evil games.

joehero, that is a pretty good descriptive term, maybe it will catch on.

Hey, I'm walking here! Only I have to stop to change directions ............

Here's a fix I discovered on these older games, I do this on another PS1 "Tank Control" game (LBA) Little Big Adventure.

The first edition Interact Barracuda and Sony DUAL ANALOG controllers sticks function same as the direction pad. I hold up to move forward on the direction pad, at the same time turn with either stick. This actually works pretty well.

For information on these two great controllers go to this page:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=217621#p217621

On the side, as far as official tank control games such as Battle Zone for me it is the only way to play.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 19 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

darthbluntedone
16-bit

Post by darthbluntedone »

wow thats like saying you cant play smash tv that has tank style controls try playing ikari warriors on a real arcade machine with those 8 way plus rotory joysticks. thats awesome!!!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Hatta wrote:Tank controls are awesome. By which I mean real tank controls, where you have a forward and backward axis for each tread on the tank. If you want to turn, push forward on one axis and backwards on the other. Try Battlezone (arcade) to see what I mean.

Combat (atari) style tank control is obviously garbage.

darthbluntedone wrote:wow thats like saying you cant play smash tv that has tank style controls try playing ikari warriors on a real arcade machine with those 8 way plus rotory joysticks. thats awesome!!!

I'll take a 2 stick Robotron, Black Widow, Smash TV or Virtua On over single stick version.

I think joehero is referring to the cumbersome movement in the older Res Evil games, where you move a game character like a tank, to move forward you have to push up on the direction pad. Even if the game character is say facing to the right, you still have to push up to move forward. Real pain to stop, turn, move, stop, turn and move again.

See my way around this above .........
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425