PSX Dual Analog Guide- Flightstick - Barracuda - □xo∆ FAQ

by CRTGAMER Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:35 pm

PS1 SONY DUAL ANALOG Guide

SCPH-1180 Duel Analog
Barracuda DPad Analog Sticks and Tank Controls
PSX xo▢∆ FAQ - Geometry Symbols on the Buttons

PS2 SCPH-10520 Duel Analog Guide is on Page Three

PS1 SCPH-1110 Flight Stick undocumented Game Support is on Page Four

I bought a SCPH-1180 Duel Analog at a swap meet for can you believe it - $5.00, the poor guy didn't know how rare the controller was! :shock:

The DUAL ANALOG SCPH-1180 was the predecessor of the DUAL SHOCK.
These came out right after the first PS1 Analog also known as the PS1 Flight Stick. Unfortunately the Flightstick is not compatible with Dual Shock. However, both do support the direction game pads nicely on either stick.

AARST wrote:I have two. They were a very short production run and nobody really notices that they're different, but they are significantly different and I prefer them over the DualShock.

The most important: Larger grip handles. I really don't like how small the grip handles on the original PlayStation and DualShock controllers are, those are a pain to hold.
Other things: Flightstick mode which uses the hardware to inverse up and down on the left joystick.

Concaves on the joystick, which aren't all that comfortable, but I think it's nice.
Ridges on the L2/R2.

The Japanese version does have rumble, but it won't work with PS2 games.

I don't think they're rare per sé...

The PS1 Flightstick
The PSX Flightstick works great with Descent! The games that are Flightstick compatible:

Wiki wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStatio ... ck_support

ImageImage

Ace Combat 2 & 3, Armored Trooper Votoms (Japan), Asteroids, Atari Anniversary Edition Redux, Atari Collection 2 (Paperboy, RoadBlasters, Marble Madness)

Bogey Dead 6 ( Japan as Sidewinder / Europe as Raging Skies) released at the same time as the Analog Joystick

Centipede, Car & Driver Grand Tour Racing '98, Colony Wars (Series, but not Red Sun), Cyberia, Descent and Descent 2 (Descent Maximum on the PlayStation), Elemental Gearbolt, EOS: Edge of Skyhigh (Japan), Formula 1 97 (known as Formula 1 Championship Edition in USA and Canada), Galaxian 3, Gunship, Macross Digital Mission VF-X, Macross Digital Mission VF-X 2, MDK, MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat (Arcade Combat Edition), Midway Arcade´s Greatest Hits 2 (useful in Blaster), Missile Command, Namco Museum Vol. 4 (Assault and Assault Plus only), Newman / Haas Racing, Project Gaiairy (Japan), Rise 2: Resurrection, R/C Stunt Copter, Shadow Master, Sidewinder 2, Slamscape, Steel Reign, The Need for Speed (supports digital mode only), Top Gun: Fire at Will, Treasures of the Deep, Vigilante 8, Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom, Zero Pilot

I have two of the Flightstick SCPH-1110 models but I consider the DUAL ANALOG a lot more valuable. Unlike the larger Flightstick or newer Dual Shocks, the DUAL ANALOG has two color lights - A Red Light and unique to this controller a Green Light would indicate which Analog mode is chosen. :shock:

DUAL ANALOG; the only Sony brand Controller that supports 3 modes:
1. Gamepad
2. Flightstick
3. Dual Shock
There is a 3rd party controller that has the 3 modes further down.

First Dual Analog Shock
The Japanese SCPH-1150 controllers also came with the first shock motors which would sometimes fry the board. So consequently the American release did not have the shock motor. Roughly 3 months later the Japanese version was replaced with a new DUAL SHOCK but Analog Flightstick mode was dropped. American PS1 consoles than followed suit repackaging with new Dual Shock. The reason the Flight Analog was dropped was the electrical problem with vibration motor and the fact that few games supported the old Flightstick mode. The games had an icon on the back that states Analog Compatible and showed an outline of the Flightstick handle. PS1 Descent comes to mind.

Longer hand grips and raised bump on L2 - R2 triggers, only on the DUAL ANALOG.

Features
Longer handles more comfortable for big hands. Sticks are looser similar as PS3 in movement. L2 and R2 have a notch so you can tell by feel. The sweetest is the extra Flightstick mode with a green light for Mechwarrior and Descent. I like the solid Concave thumbrests on the sticks, no slipping. Oh, another very cool feature that I have only seen in a couple other controllers is that the sticks can function same as the digital pads. Great for a lot of the older games that don't support Analog function.

I really like this controller. It has Unique Sticks with concave thumbs just like the 1st edition Interact Barracuda stick which is my other favorite stick. (That is a story itself) The handles are longer than your regular Dual Shock. I love Video Games best when playing them so this stick will share time along with the Barracuda. Although probably a lot more gingerly and carefully. No Street Fighter on this controller!

I like the Sony DPad. A precise control when choosing a direction.

Other Controllers with Analog Game Pad capability
Here is a pic of my other favorite stick, A first Edition Interact Barracuda Controller a real monster:
Barracuda "Cat Head" PS1 Controller
It has the same Concave Sticks and is HUGE, definitely not made for a kid. The uniqueness of this stick like the DUAL ANALOG is that the sticks can function like the digital pads or as Analog. It can also be programmed for combo button presses but also each button combo can be programed for hold time as well!

http://www.amazon.com/Interact-Accessor ... =hitezy-20

I rate these sticks up there with my Dual Blaze Dip Switch Arcade Stick.

Nuxius wrote:http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?16584-Game-Sack/page5

To date, the best replacement pad I have found for the original PSX analog pads is the Interact Barracuda (original version). Like the original X-Box controller, this thing is huge, which makes it perfect for me. It also has the best analog sticks on any controller I've ever used. Instead of being like ordinary analog sticks, it's built more like a tiny joystick, which allows more precise control. Of course, it also has a concave top, which helps (their are plenty of other analog sticks that offer that as well, though).

With that said, one thing it does not have is vibration feedback (which is a HUGE plus for me as I can't stand that "feature"), however, the Dual Analog didn't have it either (for NA and EU at least, the JP version has vibration), so I doubt this would bother you. Also, the d-pad is a bit too stiff for my liking, but it's not unusable or anything.

There is also the Interact Barracuda 2. It is not as huge as the first model. It has a similar size to the PS1 Duel Shock. Both of the Barracudas have three modes of Digital, Analog and the unique Flight Stick.

Barracuda Programming

1. Hold Program Button - Two Beeps LED Flashing

2. Hold Button to change - Single Beep LED Solid

3. Press new button or sequence of buttons - Beep and LED flash confirms

4. Hold Program Button to save - Two Beeps LED off

Barracuda Links
http://www.ladydragon.com/a-barracuda.html
http://www.amazon.com/Barracuda-Interact-Controller-Playstation-SV-1133/dp/B001DTHN7U

CRTGAMER wrote:Tank Control Fix
ONLY the Interact Barracuda and Sony Flightstick controllers sticks can function same as the Game Pad when set to digital mode. I hold up on the Game Pad or Stick to move forward and at the same time turn with the other stick. This actually works pretty well and no more stopping to spin around the on screen game character. A great work around for Tank Control games such as Resident Evil or Little Big Adventure.

This makes even a 3rd party controller in this case the Barracuda valuable find!

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219280#p219280

Hey, I'm walking here! Only I have to stop to change directions ............
The Sony Dual Analog has been proven to fix the Tank Control, but just on certain games.
jay_red wrote:When testing the Dual Analogue controller last night with various games I got interesting results. First I realized that it does not have the dual d-pad functionality, no big deal. With Rayman, when you turn on the analogue it stops responding all together, with Mega Man x5 it works like normal, with Chrono Cross the left stick allows you to move like normal, while the right stick causes you to spin in place. Strange that 3 different games gave 3 different results.

Besides the huge Sony PSX Flight Stick, the Barracuda "Cat Head" and the Barracuda 2 are the only controllers I know to have the capability of BOTH Analog Sticks operate as the Direction Pad on a Playstation. This is great for older non Dual Shock PS1 games as well as newer PS1 and PS2 games that do not use an Analog stick. The Barracudas work especially great in Tank Control games, when set to digital mode. Hold up on the DPad or either Analog Stick to move while using either Analog Stick to turn at the same time. No more stopping to change directions. 8)

If anyone is looking for the PS1 Duel Analog in the wild, two quick things to spot is grey combined with concave plastic analog sticks. The Barracudas are also worth hunting for because of the DPad to Analog stick capability. Now if there were more time in the day.

god wrote:PS1 Analog controller SCPH-1180. Not a big PS geek but recognized this from the small fuss it has caused from time to time in this thread. Took it to the counter, marked at $8.00, with the other stuff and said "this seems pretty high for a PS1 controller, the last one I bought from here was about $2.60". Dude looks at it and says "Yeah, but this is a Dual Shock so its a bit more... ehh I'll knock a couple of bucks off it for ya". So got it for $6.00. Looking forward to trying it out.

Some further reading attesting the rarity of this stick:
http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/detail/psx_a.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Analog_Controller
http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/h ... nalog-pad/

CRTGAMER wrote:The DUAL ANALOG find to me is one of the true spirit of finding a treasure that anyone can afford. The reason why is most sellers do not recognize it from the regular grey Dual Shock. If you come across one, keep that Poker Face and ask how much for the Grey PS1 controller.

Addendum Mon Jun 21, 2010
Picked up a second DUAL ANALOG for 3 bucks at a local Thrift store. As in my first one, the store thought it was just a regular grey PSX controller. To find yours, look for the Concave thumb sticks and long palm handles!
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10186&p=275176#p275176

There are also PS2 games that work with the Flightstick Mode of these controllers. :shock:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=29547&p=449529&hilit=xgiii#p449529

The default button controversy
The birth of the hand grips

x o ▢ ∆

Ever wondered why the unusual symbols on the Playstation Controller? Why do the American and Japanese Sony games use a different button as the response for Yes, No and Cancel?

Kevin Gifford wrote:http://www.1up.com/news/playstation-1-design

All About the PlayStation 1's Design
Sony designer Teiyu Goto discusses the system, the controller, and the weird symbols on the buttons.

Teiyu Goto, who joined Sony after graduating from technical school in 1977, has worked on the external design of every PlayStation console, as well as their controllers and other accessories, for the past 17 years. In an interview with Famitsu magazine this week, Goto divulged the internal process that went into crafting some of the most iconic images in video games.

What was so hard about coming up with a controller? "The Super NES was a huge hit at the time, and naturally we wanted SNES gamers to upgrade to our system," Goto said. "That's why the management department didn't want the controller to be a radical departure -- they said it had to be a standard type of design, or gamers wouldn't accept it."

Ignoring management's request for a flat, Nintendo-like pad, Goto came up with a design that had grips on both ends and showed it to Norio Ohga, Sony's president at the time. "I still clearly remember him saying that 'the control stick is the most important part of any game,'" Goto recalled. "Ohga flies airplanes and helicopters, so he used the term 'control stick' to talk about the controller. He really liked the grips on the controller because it let him get a 3D-style grasp on the situation."

Management, however, was still pretty hostile. "They told me that the grip design was simply no good, that gamers wouldn't like it," Goto said. "We did wind up switching to a flatter controller design, and that survived all the way to the point where it was time to start making molds. Just around then, though, we had a 'creative report,' an internal presentation where assorted groups showed their current in-progress work to the top brass. During that report I showed off the flat controller design, explaining that this is how game consoles work right now, and Ohga was totally livid at me. 'This is no good! Change it! What was wrong with what you showed me earlier?' It was a huge boost for me, him saying that in front of everybody -- it made me feel like I had it right all along."

"Despite that," Goto continued, "management's opinions didn't change at all. They showed Ohga the flat controller again later and said that this is what they wanted, but Ohga was about to throw the model right back at them. I was there and I didn't want him to break the model, so I stopped him, but looking back, I think that was Ohga's way of saying 'Hang in there, Goto' to me. Management was still pretty peeved, but they felt like they had no choice but to follow him."

That explains how the controller got its look, but not how the buttons got their rather unique names. "That was also pretty tough," Goto revealed. "Other game companies at the time assigned alphabet letters or colors to the buttons. We wanted something simple to remember, which is why we went with icons or symbols, and I came up with the triangle-circle-X-square combination immediately afterward. I gave each symbol a meaning and a color. The triangle refers to viewpoint; I had it represent one's head or direction and made it green. Square refers to a piece of paper; I had it represent menus or documents and made it pink. The circle and X represent 'yes' or 'no' decision-making and I made them red and blue respectively. People thought those colors were mixed up, and I had to reinforce to management that that's what I wanted."

Looking back, Goto sees his work on the PlayStation controller as the sort of chance that comes once in a lifetime. "Getting to use such simple symbols in a design is an extremely rare opportunity, and it was really a stroke of luck to me," he said. "When you think of the Madonna in painting, most people come up with the same image of the same woman in their minds. In a similar way, the combination of those simple symbols has come to represent both the PlayStation and the fun of video games, and being able to communicate that is a great thing."

In the GBA Japanese game Mawaru Made In Wario (Wario Twisted), a circle is used instead of a checkmark as an "Okay" or "Correct" symbol. Maybe more proof that substantiates on the PSX Japan controller use of the Circle instead of X for "Okay" as the primary button?

Alps Batwing
1st Handgrip of the PS1 controller?

I own both a Red and a Blue Alps "Batwing" controller from the PS1 era and wondered where they fit into the history of Sony. One of the manufacturers of the first generation PS1 digital controllers is Alps. Note above in the quote where the handgrip design was scaled back.

Was the large Alps controller part of the initial concept as the very 1st official PS1 controller? :idea:

NFO Admin wrote: http://nfgworld.com/mb/thread/403-ALPS- ... acdb3b53c0

ALPS Interactive Gamepad

When the Playstation ruled the roost, Sony made use of two companies to make their pads. Mitsumi, the same company who manufactured Nintendo's SNES pads, made them, and so did ALPS. You may have never heard of ALPS, but they're a fairly large company. They make Alpine audio gear, keyboards for Apple, touchpads for Sony's Vaio notebooks, etc.

Anyway, they made the controller for Sony, and for a very short time, they made their own pad too. The ALPS Interactive Gamepad was their first and only pad. It was designed to be smooth and ergonomic, and it felt amazing in the hands. It was released in the standard blue, shown here, as well as a premium-priced limited-edition red version available only through Electronics Boutique stores (at least in Canada). A smaller version was also released.

"We designed the Alps Interactive Gamepad so players can concentrate on the game instead of the gamepad," said Ken Kajikawa, product manager for Alps Interactive. "Gamers can now enjoy longer, harder playing while playing with the best, instead of traditionally awkward and uncomfortable gamepads." The lower half of the handles were rubber for better grip. Teardrop-shaped butons were smooth and close together for easy access. The four shoulder buttons were similarly smooth. Even the D-pad was super-smooth, with fantastic-feeling response.

Based on Sony designer Teiyu Goto's interview, the initial design alludes to larger and maybe different handgrips then the final product. The Duel Analog has longer grips but not really a drastic design change. Then there is the prototype Sony SNES controller pictured below which has no handgrips.

Norio Ohga was pushing for a flight stick inspired grips design of sorts. Maybe Teiyu Goto was creating either something similar to the Alps or the PS1 Flightstick which appeared later on, after the Duel Analog. I'm leaning towards the Alps design since it kept appearing as a possible controller for the PS3 and maybe even the PS2. It would be interesting to see exactly what the original PS1 flight grip design would have looked like.

A footnote concerning the Alps batwings, the design almost came back as the controller for the PS3. Maybe this was to be manufactured by Alps?

JackBurton wrote: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... r-variants

PlayStation Digital Controller Variants

I'm trying to catalogue each variant of the PlayStation's digital-only controllers. So far I have this list, in chronological order of appearances.

SCPH-1010 (gray)
These were the first production controllers included with the early gray debugging units, and with the original SCPH-1000 launch units in Japan. They were also sold separately for a couple of months afterwards before being redesigned and given the new designation SCPH-1080. The SCPH-1010 can be identified by having slightly shorter legs than the SCPH-1080. The cord is also very short, only about 3 feet long. They are also lacking any sticker on the back of the connector.

SCPH-1010 (blue)
The original DTL-H1000 series of blue debugger PlayStations shipped with a custom blue version of the SCPH-1010 controller.

SCPH-1080 (gray)
By far the most common PlayStation digital controller variation. Often referred to as the "original" controller, it is in fact the second. These are known to come in at least the SCPH-1080 A, H, and M configurations. This refers to the sub-contractor that manufactured the controller.
A = Alps
H = Hori
M = Mitsumi

DTL-H3010 H (Net Yaroze controller)
This controller is identical in size and shape to the SCPH-1080, but has a black matte finish.

SCPH-1080 (colored series)
Red, White, Clear Smoke and Black. Sony released these semi-rare colored variations of the SCPH-1080 shortly before the debut of the Dual Shock series.

Check the third picture below. Note position of X and O. Still don't know why the location switch. Maybe default right instead of closer to thumb down just seemed more normal in Japan. Japanese written text is read from left to right.
Attachments
Dual Analog Dual Shock Lights.jpg
Comparison of Dual Shock and Dual Analog, note the green light!
Dual Analog Dual Shock Lights.jpg (80.38 KiB) Viewed 50336 times
PSX Red Controller A.jpg
Is the Sony digital only red controller lower in production numbers compared to the Dual Analog?
PSX Red Controller A.jpg (121.02 KiB) Viewed 65758 times
PSX Concept Controller A.jpg
Prototype after Sony broke away from Nintendo in a proposed CD based console.
PSX Concept Controller A.jpg (73.54 KiB) Viewed 65734 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 153 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

AARST
24-bit

Re: Playstation Dual Analog controller

by AARST Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:47 am

CRTGAMER wrote:I wrote this info on "Video Game Finds of the Day"

I bought one at a swap meet for can you believe it - $5.00
The poor guy didn't know how rare the controller was ..............
Haha, same here! But I got it at a second-hand store and it was still in the box. After purchasing it I told the guy he needs to brush up on his knowledge for rarer stuff.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 am

AARST wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:I wrote this info on "Video Game Finds of the Day"

I bought one at a swap meet for can you believe it - $5.00
The poor guy didn't know how rare the controller was ..............
Haha, same here! But I got it at a second-hand store and it was still in the box. After purchasing it I told the guy he needs to brush up on his knowledge for rarer stuff.

Geeze that box is even rarer then the controller, very lucky great find!

CRTGAMER wrote:The DUAL ANALOG find to me is one of the true spirit of finding a treasure that anyone can afford. The reason why is most sellers do not recognize it from the regular grey Dual Shock. If you come across one, keep that Poker Face and ask how much for the Grey PS1 controller.

AARST can you digitize the box, curious what it looks like, maybe post a pic?
Thanks!
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:08 am

I had no idea these were rare. I've got a couple with their boxes in my mother's loft. How much are they worth?
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:54 pm

Niode wrote:I had no idea these were rare. I've got a couple with their boxes in my mother's loft. How much are they worth?

It took me 10 years to find one! I have two of the Sony PS1 Flightsticks but I believe the DUAL ANALOG is more rare. Reason why is a low shelf life due to DUAL SHOCK replacing it.

The other first analog aftermarket Sticks at the time were the Interact Barracuda First Edition and the Namco NeGcon.

I have one of these too, pretty cool for driving games ......

I posted history info on page 1 of this post ..........

I have never seen it on Craig's List or E-Bay, part of confusion with a lot of sellers thinking its a regular grey Dual shock. So don't know a money value of it but I consider the DUAL SHOCK a great value from a collectors point of view.

Some further reading attesting the rarity of this stick:
http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/detail/psx_a.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Analog_Controller
http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/h ... nalog-pad/

I think it was only sold as an add on, never part of a console package. Which would make it a lower production number. I have yet to confirm that.

AARST or Niode, can you post a pic of that box your DUAL ANALOG came in? That is indeed rare.

AARST
24-bit

by AARST Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:35 pm

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v159/Boudewijn/Dual Analog/

It also contains a few pictures of my collection, but not all because I had to put everything in boxes again because we had an important visitor. I'll continue with that at another time.
The picture of the manual is fairly readable.
Back of the box:

* This analog controller is for use exclusively with the "PlayStation".
* Please read the instruction manual carefully before use for your safe operation with this product.

* [Analog Controller Compatible] [Analog Joystick Compatible] This analog controller can be used with softwares displaying these icons.

* The function of each button may vary depending on the software used. Refer to individual software instruction manuals for further details.
* How to use
With the arrow mark facing up, securely insert the connector for the analog controller into the controller port.
* Precautions
-Do not expose controller to high temperatures, high humidity or direct sunlight.
(Use in an enviroment between 5-35°C)
-Do not allow liquid or small particles to enter the analog controller.
-Do not put any heavy objects on the analog controller
-Never disassemble the analog controller.
-Do not twist or pull the cable too strongly.
-Do not throw, drop, or apply strong shock to the analog controller.

*"Sony" is a registered trademark of Sony Corporation.
*"PS" and "PlayStation" are trtademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment

Repeat in French

Image at the bottom left:
[PlayStation]
[Controller port of front panel]
[Connector]
[Controller (others)]
[Analog controller]
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

by gtmtnbiker Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:11 pm

AARST wrote:http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v159/Boudewijn/Dual Analog/

It also contains a few pictures of my collection, but not all because I had to put everything in boxes again because we had an important visitor.

Can you lose the password protection on the album?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:17 pm

gtmtnbiker wrote:
AARST wrote:http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v159/Boudewijn/Dual Analog/

It also contains a few pictures of my collection, but not all because I had to put everything in boxes again because we had an important visitor.

Can you lose the password protection on the album?

Or even better just attach the JPG's to your reply so everyone can see.

If you have to, INFRAVIEW is a great program for reducing image size.
http://www.irfanview.com/

God I hate Java Bloated Photo Bucket!

AARST
24-bit

by AARST Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:22 pm

That's odd, I didn't have any password protection before. I had to upload them quickly because I was in a hurry.

Protection removed.

CRTGAMER wrote:If you have to, INFRAVIEW is a great program for reducing image size.
http://www.irfanview.com/
What's wrong with MSpaint?
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:33 pm

anybody want to sell me one for a decent price?
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Return to Guides