DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/ DC.

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/ DC.

Post by CRTGAMER »

Magnum Apex wrote:Using the VGA box with a 3.5mm stereo male-to-male audio cable, I experience audio issues with both MvC NTSC games. The music plays just fine, but the sound effects will sometimes not play or play at a low volume, and it seems totally random when this happens. Every other game I've tried doesn't exhibit this issue, so I don't think it's the cable or TV.

This doesn't bother me, but I'm curious as to why it happens.
The VGA box audio jack might not be making full contact with your cable plug. Is the cable a stereo three prong "mini headphone" connector? Unplug and plug the cable at both ends might help. Also be sure its a good quality cable, the thinner strand ones may give problems.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I don't have a VGA input in my gaming room but am contemplating getting the s-video hook-up for the dreamcast (sadly, racketboy does not carry). Is the S-Video a decent step up quality-wise or am I better off putting together a VGA setup?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

retrosportsgamer wrote:I don't have a VGA input in my gaming room but am contemplating getting the s-video hook-up for the dreamcast (sadly, racketboy does not carry). Is the S-Video a decent step up quality-wise or am I better off putting together a VGA setup?
S-Video is a definite improvement over Composite. VGA is a huge improvement especially when seen on a computer monitor! My HD CRT does not have a VGA input, but I am happy with the clarity of SVideo.

Dreamcast S-Video cables are inexpensive.
Maybe this should be an item in the Racketboy Retro Store?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

CRTGAMER wrote:
retrosportsgamer wrote:I don't have a VGA input in my gaming room but am contemplating getting the s-video hook-up for the dreamcast (sadly, racketboy does not carry). Is the S-Video a decent step up quality-wise or am I better off putting together a VGA setup?
S-Video is a definite improvement over Composite. VGA is a huge improvement especially when seen on a computer monitor! My HD CRT does not have a VGA input, but I am happy with the clarity of SVideo.

Dreamcast S-Video cables are inexpensive.
Maybe this should be an item in the Racketboy Retro Store?

Well, I got a S-Video cable and they definitely are inexpensive (maybe 6-8 bucks) - most likely because they are just glorified regular cables.

All I got was a fuzzy black & white picture when I used, then I found this thread (some nice racketboy plugs in there , fwiw)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... 003&page=2
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Really should have done my homework - my next question is, would these cables work in the racketboy VGA box for s-video output?

http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Dreamcast-S- ... Descending
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

retrosportsgamer wrote:Really should have done my homework - my next question is, would these cables work in the racketboy VGA box for s-video output?

http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Dreamcast-S- ... Descending

No, the VGA box converts them to plain s-video and RCA plugs. So you'd just need a plain old s-video patch cable and some red/white/yellow RCA cables to go from the box to your TV/receiver.

http://www.racketboy.com/store/catalog/ ... /image/12/
xxninjabunnyxx

Post by xxninjabunnyxx »

My VGA box that I got from racketboy started to show a yellow tint on the screen.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

xxninjabunnyxx wrote:My VGA box that I got from racketboy started to show a yellow tint on the screen.

Is it the VGA only one or the one with s-vid?
I have had two of the VGA only ones and this has happened - one blue and the other yellow. I also noticed that if you shake the casing it sometimes clears the colors up. I now have the VGA Box and have had no problem.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
xxninjabunnyxx

Post by xxninjabunnyxx »

SpaceBooger wrote:
xxninjabunnyxx wrote:My VGA box that I got from racketboy started to show a yellow tint on the screen.

Is it the VGA only one or the one with s-vid?
I have had two of the VGA only ones and this has happened - one blue and the other yellow. I also noticed that if you shake the casing it sometimes clears the colors up. I now have the VGA Box and have had no problem.

vga only, it's on all screens, even on the system menu.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

xxninjabunnyxx wrote:vga only, it's on all screens, even on the system menu.

Has it always had a yellow tint? If so skip to my last sentence of this post.
If not, try wiggling it next time its on if the the colors come back or you loose another (my screen would usually tint everything red or blue) there is possibly something wrong where the wires connect to the circuit board. I have learned that these cables if twisted, tugged, or any kind of stress is put on the inside of the box it will cause problems. Im guessing the way I had mine hooked up (twist tied and hanging behind my tv) I put too much stress on the box and they had a 2-3 year life span. I finally broke down and bought one of the VGA Boxes and have had no trouble with it.
I cant promise anything because I am not him, but if the vga box is fairly new I would try contacting Racket himself and explain your situation and see if he has any suggestions.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.