Do I really need...

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
SpaceBooger

Do I really need...

Post by SpaceBooger »

To purchase the model 2 SEGA CD extension to hook my M1 Genesis up?
I have a M2 gen/cd combo, but am getting a s-vid modded M1. If I want to play SCD games on my HDTV, do I need the extension or is it mainly for looks?

Yes, I am too cheap to spend $20 on ebay for the extension.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
codegamer
8-bit

Re: Do I really need...

Post by codegamer »

It is NOT needed, but makes it look better!

It may also make it fit more snug, but I am unsure of this since I do not have the extension... :oops:
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

I'm also running an M1/Sega CD setup without a connector and it works fine. The connector is cosmetic.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

The extension doesn't affect how it holds a model 1 Gen at all. I do actually have an extension for mine. Purely cosmetic.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

SpaceBooger wrote:To purchase the model 2 SEGA CD extension to hook my M1 Genesis up?
I have a M2 gen/cd combo, but am getting a s-vid modded M1. If I want to play SCD games on my HDTV, do I need the extension or is it mainly for looks?

Yes, I am too cheap to spend $20 on ebay for the extension.

I had no idea these things existed. Thank you for letting me know they exist and that they're on ebay for only $20. Image
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

The extension makes your Sega CD setup look a little bit more professional, but it has no functional effect. I think the Model 1 Genesis looks wonky on the Model 2 Sega CD without that extender, but that's just personal taste.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Thanks again, SpaceBooger!
Attachments
IMAG1016.jpg
IMAG1016.jpg (237.61 KiB) Viewed 796 times
Teh Lurv
24-bit

Post by Teh Lurv »

If you decide to grab a model 1 extension for the SegaCD, make sure you buy one that includes the metal connector plate. There are a few ebay sellers just selling the plastic bit. One thing you might not get are the proper screws to attach the extension & SegaCD to the metal plate. Fortunately, the proper replacement screws are easy to get at most hardware stores: Hillman machine screw Oval Head (Flat Head works too) Phillips M4x12 .70 pitch.