Dreamcast mouse problem

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Anthony817
128-bit

Dreamcast mouse problem

Post by Anthony817 »

Hey guys, I just bought a brand new Sega Dreamcast mouse and keyboard combo on Ebay. For some reason, my mouse will not move in the down direction, but up and left and right movement work well. I opened the bottom mouse ball cap and looked inside. It seems the mouse ball is not making contact with the rollers inside the mouse.

What can I do to make this work? I even opened the mouse and wrapped some scotch tape round the roller to increase the diamiter so the mouse ball would reach the roller inside it.

I really want to play Half-Life the way it's meant to be played, and use my mouse with Dreamshell and my SD card adapter reader.

If anybody can be of some much needed help, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks all
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Dreamcast mouse problem

Post by CRTGAMER »

Does the mouse work if you spin not the ball, but the rollers inside? If it does, then definitely a problem with the ball not making a good contact.

Why not get an adaptor for a PC PS2 sensor mouse. Its not original Dreamcast but a lot more reliable over the constant ball mouse cleaning.

Looking forward to your post review (please a text with JPGs) of that DC SD card adaptor.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Was one of the roller holders broken or bent or something? I can't imagine how you'd end up with a manufacturing defect like that.
Anthony817
128-bit

Post by Anthony817 »

No, it works fine when I roll my finger on the rollers, so it is definately not the rollers fault nor are they bent.

I really want it all offical Dreamcast components, so I want to get this working. It is strange though cause the mouse works in upwards and left or right.

Does anybody have any ideas to increase the diamiter of the ball and have it still work right? I even tried sliding a peice of balled up paper inside to space the ball closer to the rollers but to no avail.

About the Sandisk adapter, no worries man, I will have a full review of it and the craftmanship of the actual device.

I finaly got to play the Marathon Trilogy, the precursor to the Halo games with the keyboard, but the game has no support for mice or controllers lol.

It is still nice to be able to enter the same commands on Half-Life as I can on the PC version with a keyboard though.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

There is space between the ball and rollers until the entire mouse is set down and dragged. Dumb question, but maybe missed in this day of sensor mice. Are you using a rubber mouse pad one, that the ball has traction on?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Anthony817
128-bit

Post by Anthony817 »

Nope.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Take a pictures with the top cover off, but the ball and bottom sitting on the table so we can see everything and how much space it has.
GamerMON
Next-Gen

Post by GamerMON »

Marathon was great on Mac back in the day. I need to check out the dreamcast version.
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

Hobie-wan wrote:Take a pictures with the top cover off, but the ball and bottom sitting on the table so we can see everything and how much space it has.

While this would get you the most precise answer, in my slightly sleepy haze I will respond with:

From the bottom, take out the ball, wrap a narrow strip of traction tape around the correct roller, re-insert ball, and enjoy.
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Wait, it just occurred to me, is the diagonal spring loaded wheel even there? It should be holding it against both rollers.