The Master System Appreciation Thread

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: The Master Sytem Appreciation Thread

Post by nightrnr »

Is anyone going to say anything about Power Strike? It's a pretty damn impressive 8-bit shooter IMHO.

I really want to own that game, but (as great as it is) I can't justify the asking price of it right now ($40-$50). I do have access to it through emulation, but it's a gaping hope in my otherwise satisfying collection.

Power Strike wasn't widely available in North America (was mail order only as I understand), so not many got to play it in the US (where I, and probably at least half this forum reside). But the game still deserves a mention here as a crown jewel of the Sega Master System.
...just another lost soul...
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

nightrnr wrote:Is anyone going to say anything about Power Strike? It's a pretty damn impressive 8-bit shooter IMHO.

I really want to own that game, but (as great as it is) I can't justify the asking price of it right now ($40-$50). I do have access to it through emulation, but it's a gaping hope in my otherwise satisfying collection.

Power Strike wasn't widely available in North America (was mail order only as I understand), so not many got to play it in the US (where I, and probably at least half this forum reside). But the game still deserves a mention here as a crown jewel of the Sega Master System.

PS was originally only available in the US as a mail order game, but supposedly appeared in a few stores later. The US copies have a dark blue and white cover, where European versions have a color cover. PS is fun, but also pretty difficult. PS II is more playable, but also rarer as it was only released in Europe and Australia (maybe Brazil too?). It's costlier than I and took me forever to get a copy without paying $100+ for it. Unfortunately I don't have a book and strangely the rare occasions it pops up on ebay it usually boxed without book.
Purkeynator
64-bit

Post by Purkeynator »

I snagged myself a copy of Street Fighter II on Master System a few weeks back. I got it in a trade from a guy that lives in Brazil that I met online a while back. It was a bitch getting that thing to boot up. When it did it was somewhat underwhelming. The graphics and sound were scaled back quite and bit and there were missing characters and you are limited to fierce punch and roundhouse kick only. Still its pretty damn impressive that even this was able to run on the 8 bit system.
Dup
8-bit

Post by Dup »

Hobie-wan wrote: It's costlier than I and took me forever to get a copy without paying $100+ for it. Unfortunately I don't have a book and strangely the rare occasions it pops up on ebay it usually boxed without book.

Hah, honestly? I've seen cheaper, complete copies that haven't been bid on. It's rare game, but it doesn't seem to be in demand.

I've recently started collecting for the SMS, being in New Zealand the games are insanely cheap and easy to find boxed. It has it's downsides though, the Master Systems success over here means the NES didn't take off, and tracking down most NES games is impossible.

But back the SMS, I restarted my collection a few months back when I managed to score 30 boxed games for $10. I offloaded the duplicates on a mate and have started to buy up the classics again.
BLAST PROCESSOR
8-bit

Post by BLAST PROCESSOR »

Definitely a system that is too often overlooked. I didn't discover it until after I got my Genesis and read a few articles in EGM.

Phantasy Star, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World and Master of Darkness were games I've spend hours and hours playing. Brings back so many awesome memories.

My only gripe with the Master System is that it seems like so many of the games all sound the same - very similar music and sound effects.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

I love my Master System (well actually, it's a Power Unit Converter). Unfortunately, a lot of the games I would have gobbled up in the day, came out later on the Genesis and as a result I now own the superior Genesis versions. Games like Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Strider, Spider-Man, and Cool Spot.

Nonetheless there are quite a few games that are tons of fun for the system that aren't on Genesis:

-After Burner (A bit dated now, but back then it was impressive, semi-3D)
-Cloud Master (Yeah, I like the game, you read that right)
-Golvellius: Valley of Doom
-Golden Axe: Warrior
-Hang-On
-Ninja Gaiden (Different from NES version)
-R-Type
-Shinobi
-Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2 (Different from Genesis versions)
-Space Harrier

Oh, and I don't play turn-based RPGs, that's why you don't see Phantasy Star in my list. And Alex Kidd is just too childish for me.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

Post by Snatch1414 »

Everyone always makes fun of the cover art, but I actually liked Ghost House as a kid lol.

I don't really have any profound memories of my Master System. I liked Alien Syndrome, Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, Kung Fu Kid, Vigilante, Time Soldiers, Double Dragon, etc. but I have to admit now that I have a Wii and can access the virtual store of old NES games I'm like a kid in a candy store.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
G-Darius
32-bit

Post by G-Darius »

Snatch1414 wrote:Everyone always makes fun of the cover art, but I actually liked Ghost House as a kid lol.

Agreed! :) my first SMS game back in the day and i still consider it to be one of the best,i had the `game card` not the cartridge 8)
Lord_Santa
128-bit

Post by Lord_Santa »

the Sega Master System I, was my second console (the first being an Atari 2600)

when everyone went NES, I went SMS

I remember Safari Hunt being at least as fun as Duck Hunt, but the game I remember the system for the most is and always will be Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar

'tis the only "true" console version of Ultima IV (NES version is... so japanese it make me cringe)

the only true difference between the SMS version and the computer version is that you don't have to type your questions (due to lack of keyboard), hence it's a bit "easier", but it's a blast

I just ordered an SMS with 5(6) games for it and I already have Spy vs. Spy (gamecard) so I'm anticipating the coming..... years to be full of adventure

I've located several copies of Golden Axe Warrior for varying prices, but the estiamate will be around 20€, which (IMO) is well worth it (I've emulated it a bit and it truly kicks ASS)

now all I need is the Zapper, Safari Hunt and 3D-glasses and I'm good to go =)

(of course I'll need the 3D-games as well, but that'll be a later problem)
C-64 will never die
- only the players
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Dup wrote:Hah, honestly? I've seen cheaper, complete copies that haven't been bid on. It's rare game, but it doesn't seem to be in demand.

Yeah, it took me several years to get a copy at a price that wasn't insane. :(

But if you ever see a loose Power Strike II book for cheap over there let me know so I can make mine complete. :wink: