What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Raging Justice »

Golgo 14 wrote:I agree that Godzilla Minus One is a good time. The human story is pretty good which is a nice change from most Godzilla movies, but the amazing thing is how good this movie looks on a 15 million budget. It really makes you wonder what the point is of all these bloated 200-300 million dollar movies that don't even look as good. I recently saw 2019's Godzilla: King of the Monsters and I thought it was pretty good as far as these things go, but I never felt scared the way I did watching Godzilla Minus One. They really managed to give Godzilla a real presence and heft. The visuals and sound make it seem like he is really there which I feel is a rarity for most fx heavy films these days.

In other news, earlier this year I saw the Bollywood movie Pathaan and last month I watched Tiger 3. I liked Pathaan a lot and I thought Tiger 3 might star the same guy in the lead role. It doesn't but there is an amazing scene in Tiger 3 where Pathaan shows up. So much fun. Apparently these films are part of something called the YRF Spy Universe. The fx are not as good as you see in the James Bond and Mission: Impossible movies, but they're pretty fun and they're coming out at a faster clip than those movies. Pathaan is on Amazon Prime along with a lot of other Bollywood movies.

Have you seen RRR? I don't think it's technically a Bollywood movie, but similar. I love the fuck out of that movie. It's an action spectacle, movie blockbuster, with a lot of heart and soul. It's very over the top, but that makes it fun. It's a "Go big or go home" kind of movie and everything is done with such emotion, creativity, sincerity, and awesome music (of course) that I loved it. It's got one of the coolest song and dance numbers ever put to cinema. I was actually shocked when watching a gameshow with a relative recently, I think it was the show Masterminds, which is basically a jeopardy style show where the contestants are big nerds who know everything. One of the questions on the show was about RRR, so the movie definitely has found an audience and maybe has avoided the "cult classic" categorization that I would have imagined something like this falling into.

Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Raging Justice wrote:
Have you seen RRR? I don't think it's technically a Bollywood movie, but similar.

Not yet, but I want to get around to it. It sounds like the YRF movies, so I'm in. RRR is a Tollywood movie coming from a different region of India with a different language. All Greek to me though.

I forgot to mention that Tiger 3 was in the news/making the rounds on social media when it came out because there was an incident in India in which fans set off a barrage of fireworks in the cinema. It has to be seen to be believed.
https://youtu.be/ZtNwHdCsAg0?si=4fzswcfQ5TUmLk1m&t=3
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

FINALLY got around to watching this:

I decided I'd watch this after getting caught up on the show, which I've been breezing through lately. Ironically it takes place AFTER season 12, which I just started some time ago. :lol:

Even if you've never seen the show I'd check it out, though much of the film would make more sense to regular viewers.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

When The Super Mario Bros Movie came out, I remember hearing a lot of people talk about how it was bad. I didn't read any of the comments on WHY it was bad, I like to make up my own mind about things. Now that it's on NetFlix, I decided to give it a watch last week. And honestly...

10 out of 10 !

I cannot understand why anyone would say this movie was bad. They must be holding it to the wrong standards. It's a *perfect* movie in my opinion. I mentioned to my brother that I watched it and he told me that he saw it in the theater and hated it. He cited lame reasons like a bad story, no character development, and things just shoved in there for no reason. But I think that is way off base.

First, I think the most important thing to note before trying to critique this movie is that it's FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY. And that's why I think they nailed it. The story and character development that is there is appropriate for a young audience. But the movie can still be enjoyable for adults, particularly those that grew up with Nintendo. So saying that the story is too shallow and blah blah blah, I mean, what are you trying to compare it to? Citizen Kane? Get a grip. Not every movie has to have a story that is deep or layered with twists or is super thought provoking. A movie has one purpose, to entertain you. This can be done as a slap stick comedy with stupid humor and fart jokes (Dumb and Dumber is one of my favorite movies) or a drama that leaves you in tears. But as long as it entertains you, that's all that really matters. This is an animated adaptation of a video game. Bowser does bad thing, Mario stops Bowser. Mission accomplished. I don't think it's an easy thing to do to make a movie that is appropriate for kids, and kids can enjoy, but also the parents can enjoy and not just tolerate. That's how they nailed it.

I kind of hate when movies have references shoved in your face. In a way that feels like, "We're only doing it this way because we wanted XYZ in the movie," but it takes you out of the movie. However, that's pretty much what The Super Mario Bros Movie was all about. It's hard to say that it shoves references in your face when the entire movie is just one big reference from start to finish. My brother told me that the Mario Kart segment was like, "Oh look, Mario Kart for no reason." But I felt more like, "Oh awesome, it's Mario Kart! What will they do next?" I think they made this clear right from the get go, with the accents in the commercial. And then Charles Martinet was like, "It's-a-perfect! Waahoo!" A meta reference right in the beginning of the movie, it really set the tone for me. This isn't a serious drama. So it's not far to critique it as such.

People are so hard to please. The live action Super Mario Bros movie got shit for being nothing at all like the video game. The animated one is as close to the video game as you can be and gets shit for inorganically referencing the game. Sheesh.

When this movie was first announced, and we learned of the voice cast, I kinda rolled my eyes at a few of the choices. I'm not a huge Jack Black fan, and I can find him to be annoying at times. But I actually forgot the who's-who of the cast when I was watching it. I thought Bowser's voice was great, and that's coming from someone who isn't really a fan of Jack Black. And I thought Seth Rogen's voice strangely fit Donkey Kong very well.

This movie was extremely fast paced. The way it's cut, it's almost too fast paced. That might have led to feelings of a shallow story with no real character development. But it's one of the reasons I liked it so much. There's never a dull moment, and the movie doesn't overstay it's welcome. If I want to be entertained for a short while, this movie puts a smile on my face from start to finish. Again, what are you critiquing this movie in comparison to? And let's face it, the smart phone social media kids of today have zero attention span. A fast paced movie like this is pretty much mandatory for the younger audience.

The first time you hear a pop song in the movie, I thought it seemed kind of strange and out of place. But then after you hear Take On Me, I realized what they were doing. These are songs from (mostly) the 80s and they are for our age group. They are there exactly for the same reason all of the references are there. If you grew up playing Mario games, then this movie is full of pop culture that's tailored to you.

But yeah, I loved all of the references. For example, when Mario is battling DK and he finally gets a power up. But it's a blue mushroom. Mario, in the movie, never saw one before. His only experience with mushrooms is that they make you bigger and stronger. But I was thinking, "Oh shit, it's gonna make him tiny and he doesn't know it!" That entire sequence in general made me laugh a lot. Hearing the DK rap made me laugh so hard I almost cried. And I laughed pretty good when Cranky tells Diddy to shut up because he's still chanting "DK."

So yeah, if anyone thought this movie was stupid, I think that's exactly the point. Think Dumb and Dumber, not Citizen Kane. Then enjoy the movie for what it is, instead of hating it for what it's not.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Ziggy587 wrote:I cannot understand why anyone would say this movie was bad. They must be holding it to the wrong standards. It's a *perfect* movie in my opinion. I mentioned to my brother that I watched it and he told me that he saw it in the theater and hated it. He cited lame reasons like a bad story, no character development, and things just shoved in there for no reason. But I think that is way off base.

First, I think the most important thing to note before trying to critique this movie is that it's FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY. And that's why I think they nailed it.

I'm glad you liked it. I disagree.

I did NOT find the film fun or funny. I laughed during the opening scene with the penguins and it really got my hopes up. And that was about it.

I have watched seven or eight Illumination movies. I haven't found any of them to be particularly funny or interesting. The Super Mario Bros. Movie was exactly in line with my prior experience.

I am clearly in the minority. Their movies make a LOT of money.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

That's fine, I don't care. But I'm curious. When you say you didn't find the movie to be fun or funny... Does that mean you would rate it negatively? Or just wasn't your cup of tea? Because the point I was trying to make wasn't that everyone has to find it as awesome as I did. Just that I can't see how anyone could call it a BAD movie and rip it apart.

Now that you've mentioned it, I've never actually seen another Illumination movie before this one.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I just can't get passed sidelining one half of "The Mario Bros." for the whole movie in order to give Peach maximum screen time in order to make all of the modern day feminists happy. Not to mention taking every opportunity to have her embarrass Mario:

Making fun of how small he is
Making him look like a loser in the training course
Telling a crowd of people that he's "nobody"

This is all capped off with Mario and Luigi being so lame that they can't win against Bowser in the end without an invincibility star, something you wouldn't get away with in an actual Mario game.

If you do a little research you'll find out that Nintendo had to step in and reign in the film makers because they wanted to make the movie ALL about Peach, but it still shows. She should have been captured by Bowser and been the one sidelined for most of the movie (not Luigi). The Mario Bros. should have saved her and then maybe after being rescued she could have done something badass to help them fight Bowser in the end. You could have even had Toad help out. We've seen them help out the Mario Bros. in some games (like Super Mario RPG). All four of them could have worked together to take Bowser down instead of the copout of an invincibility star.

Some of the voices suck too, like Cranky and Donkey Kong.

The movie rushes through it's story line and has nothing even resembling character development or an actual "arc" for anyone.

The Sonic movies are waaaaaay better. I know we always like to say that Mario always outdoes Sonic in the gaming world, but not so much in the movie world. Sonic has actual character growth. The voices rock (Tails is literally the same voice from the games and Ydris Elba makes an amazing Knuckles). Jim Carrey makes a pretty great Eggman (more memorable than Bowser is in the Mario movie) and the human characters in Sonic actually don't suck. Sonic 3 will be waaay better than the Mario movie
marurun

Post by marurun »

Raging Justice wrote:I just can't get passed sidelining one half of "The Mario Bros." for the whole movie in order to give Peach maximum screen time in order to make all of the modern day feminists happy.

Complaining about “all of the feminists” falls into that category of politically tinged speech we don’t allow here, so please don’t bring it up again.

Also, you’re just wrong in general. Nintendo has been sidelining Luigi for some time, now, so it’s not like the movie is going against the grain. Super Mario Bros is really about Mario, with Luigi being merely a concession to multiplayer, even right from the beginning.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

It was clearly meant to be an origin story. Mario and Luigi weren't THE Mario and Luigi yet. Peach was a badass because she had to be. As for why we see her in a more damsel in distress role in the games could be her trying to train the two further. She was NEVER in any real trouble, but her subjects are a different story. In her playable roles in the games she's proved this.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

marurun wrote:Nintendo has been sidelining Luigi for some time, now, so it’s not like the movie is going against the grain.

They handed Luigi the ball in 2013 and he FAILED!! After a performance like that he's lucky he wasn't written out of the series all together.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.