S2 (my segasaturn 2 beta topic)

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

I don't think Saturn emulation is up to snuff for this type of deal, just yet. And I especially don't think you have friends who can code superior emulators to what's already available.

And of course, it's ludicrous to think that any company would want to mass produce "your" concept; a concept that is nothing but a PC with some shit sprayed on it.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Mozgus wrote:I don't think Saturn emulation is up to snuff for this type of deal, just yet. And I especially don't think you have friends who can code superior emulators to what's already available.

And of course, it's ludicrous to think that any company would want to mass produce "your" concept; a concept that is nothing but a PC with some shit sprayed on it.

The truth, a little brutal and akin to telling a kid that santa clause isn't really with papped shots of his dad getting dressed in a santa suit kinda truth. Still the truth nonetheless.

I'm sorry, but as somebody else has mentioned, using Sega's IP and then selling it as your own product isn't wise. You will get sued. Also from a purely business standpoint, what is stopping anybody else copying what you're doing? Nothing. Unless you code everything from scratch, modding an existing emulator for Saturn is not going to work as it will have probably been released under GPL, which specifically states you can't sell the software for profit. The only way to get around this is if you sell the custom built PC and state that the software comes free. Now that leads back to the initial problem. Anybody could do that.

It's not a viable business proposition for any kind of investor.

By all means develop an upscaling Saturn emulator for Linux and release it under GPL or something do it for the respect of the community because there's no chance in hell you will make money from it.

Concentrate on building PC's for people if you wanna make money. At least there's money to be made.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Phantom of Krankor wrote:It is a very compelling concepts. From what I can gather from your post, you are creating a custom gaming pc and os with the intent to allow the enduser to play upscaled Sega Saturn games. I would suggest looking into smaller chipsets for your machine however. A standard atx motherboard would make your console the size of a home stero amplifier. If you could use a mini or micro atx motherboard you may have less options but the size would allow your console to be only slightly larger than a 3do. Perhaps one of those Via C7 intergrated motherboards could help, the upper echelon of them have been known to run Crisis.

I am curious to see how this idea works out. It could be something very unique as an upscalling emulation machine, even moreso with built in Sega Saturn controller ports.

yes but im building it for homebrew using a Linux based OS. It will be for my personal use and I know that sega will almost inevitably not buy it doesnt mean i cant use it for personal use, alot of my friends do homebrew and have been dieing for a peice of equipment that they can work with and customize over the normal PC's.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

racketboy wrote:
retro_gammer79 wrote:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Caboose wrote:Sorry to sound like a pessimist, but Sega doesn't have the money to make a new console. It's a risky move and considering their reputation has been battered and bruised, dragged through the mud, and then pissed on, I really doubt that most gamers now a days would care for it. Also, would you really want the Sega of today to be making it? Look at the crap that has been churned out of there since the Dreamcast's demise. The ratio of titles that are worth playing since then is like 1:20. Yuji Naka has gone off to do his own thing and Yu Suzuki is no where to be found. Not to mention the bad reputation that the Saturn has. The developers would also have no reason to support it.

Sorry but as much as I would love for Sega to have a new console, I sure as hell don't want the Sega of today to be making it.

true, which is why if we cant sell it to SEGA or Yobo, i will sell it as a homebrew player, right now my friend has a saturn emulation beta going on his Linux, which will be the base operating system of the console, we can load as many emu's as we want right now. We would use Windows CE but im sick of M$ making money.

(edit: hes working on upscalling Saturn games right now, he has PDII running at 720 upscaled with emulated anti-aliasing, and it looks pretty damn good...)

What you just described all ready exists. Just build a PC to those spec's, load the needed emulators and roms. Then just put that logo with a little spray paint, you created and there you go.

LOL, I find posts like this very amusing. They are just so silly all you can do is laugh at it.

What's next asking Nintendo to build a Wii with a built in toaster? We like toast right?

Actually, if you could build a dedicated "emulation station" that is reasonably-priced and pre-configured with stable and usable software, you could sell quite a few. Having the ability to play old, original media in addition to ROMs/ISOs would be incredible if you could pull it off.
I imagine that is possible if you could create interfaces and drivers for the pieces necessary.

that is exactly what im planning to do.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:alot of my friends do homebrew and have been dieing for a peice of equipment that they can work with and customize over the normal PC's.

All you've done is plan to build a PC…

If they can code, surely they can build their own PC and cheaper than what you can build them at. Unless you are selling them at a loss?

I can teach a monkey to build a PC in a few hours. It's not an arcane art anymore. In fact you would have to be a prize dumbass to do it wrong. Every single connector in a PC can only fit in one way. It's impossible to get it wrong and if you don't know where it's supposed to go. RTFM!!

How old are you kid?
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

devilmyarse wrote:All you've done is plan to build a PC…

If they can code, surely they can build their own PC and cheaper than what you can build them at. Unless you are selling them at a loss?

I can teach a monkey to build a PC in a few hours. It's not an arcane art anymore. In fact you would have to be a prize dumbass to do it wrong. Every single connector in a PC can only fit in one way. It's impossible to get it wrong and if you don't know where it's supposed to go. RTFM!!

How old are you kid?
He said he's 14 more than once. And I admit, at 14 I'd have been proud of building a PC too. I just didn't get any crazy dreams like he did.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Mozgus wrote:

How old are you kid?
He said he's 14 more than once. And I admit, at 14 I'd have been proud of building a PC too. I just didn't get any crazy dreams like he did.

Ah, must've missed that.

At 13 I built my first PC. At 15 I was earning some nice money building PC's for anyone that wanted em.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

devilmyarse wrote:
Mozgus wrote:

How old are you kid?

Ah, must've missed that.

At 13 I built my first PC. At 15 I was earning some nice money building PC's for anyone that wanted em.

i dont know why you missed my post on a custom version of linux. And I highly doubt you could teach a monkey to build a computer in a couple hours, mabe a couple weeks if its a smart one, but not a couple hours.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:i dont know why you missed my post on a custom version of linux. And I highly doubt you could teach a monkey to build a computer in a couple hours, mabe a couple weeks if its a smart one, but not a couple hours.
He's just saying it's not hard, and it isnt. But a lot of people think it is. I can't count the number of people who have told others that I'm a computer genius just because they found out I can plug some shit together and install XP on it. Maybe it's just Kansas, I dunno.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Designing the chips is hard.
Plugging them in isn't.