Nintendo is suing the yuzu team

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Anapan
Next-Gen

Nintendo is suing the yuzu team

Post by Anapan »

Sounds like they're taking the angle that yuzu emulator helps facilitate piracy. I don't think it'll go anywhere as there is a lot of precedent in US law, but it still sucks.
At least the yuzu team is well funded so the lawsuit won't cause horrible debt or bankruptcy to their members. Their Patreon has a lot of members - myself included. Note: I checked their Patreon about page, and that data is mostly accurate - they're currently earning $29,809.98 USD per month from Patreon.

link
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
marurun

Re: Nintendo is suing the yuzu team

Post by marurun »

There are some elements of Nintendo's case which are stronger than others. Ars Technica has a great article that analyzes the initial claims. But the sad truth is this will never make it all the way to court. The Yuzu team will inevitably settle unless they get some kind of support from an institution like the EFF, and there are aspects of the Yuzu team that could serve to make them less effective defendants for a big push like that.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2024/02/ ... ator-yuzu/
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

*waits for inevitable yuzu forks on github*
Ack

Post by Ack »

This also isn't inconsistent with Nintendo's usual approach to anything they deem "piracy".
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Dark day for emulation.

Post by Raging Justice »

fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Re: Dark day for emulation.

Post by fuctfuct »

There will be many others. Might take years, but there will be.

Good thing there aren't many games on the switch I want to play. For the couple there are the current version works fine. Just beat SMB Wonder.
marurun

Re: Dark day for emulation.

Post by marurun »

To be honest, emulation is just fine. The team behind Yuzu laid the groundwork for their own legal jeopardy by openly and actively supporting illegal activity and prioritizing illegal activity for monetary support (eg. playing yet unreleased games). I have even heard rumors (unsupported, however) that their code may also have had some liabilities (not clean-room, for example).

So no, this case doesn’t hurt the legal emulation scene much at all.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

It got taken down - out of court settlement. $2 mil and handing over the entirety of their shared assets - domain names and all.
My early access copy still works. I ran it a couple of days ago, so it's up to date, but I'm worried that once the website is handed over, the updater will disable it remotely. I'm looking into how to disable the updater.
I read that the archived installers are not functional as they download the emulator itself off their servers.
Too bad.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I just realized I shouldn't have made a second thread about this. Oh well, maybe it can be merged.

I recommend everyone find a way to mod their Switch or try that new flash cart. Honestly, it's easier than going the yuzu route. Same goes for the 3DS, as they are trying to take that emulator down as well.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I don't really use Yuzu for piracy... I buy lots of switch carts, all the 1st party games I care to try are mostly launch purchases - the rest for relatives as gifts and we swap carts often.
My big gripe is seeing the games in docked-mode I realized that the console itself isn't great as anything other than a low end (at this point) handheld. Even a Steam Deck (which is on the lower-end of gaming handheld PCs) plays Switch games better than a switch. If your PC can handle it, playing the games @ 4K or 1080p 60fps is far superior to most games' default 720/900p 30. This is the main reason I built my new PC. I love the 1st party Switch games, but they just don't look very good on a big screen - also, all 2D games are all blurry & up-scaled no matter what.

For handheld gaming, I read that the Android version does pretty well on higher-end phones with those phone-hugging analog controllers. You can enjoy a more portable switch.

Yuzu is entirely Open-source after all, so several people have now forked Yuzu and working installers are available. Fixes for newly released games may be a bit slower to become available, but the core emulation is already really mature. It's been a while since I recall a game being unplayable from launch, and the fixes seemed to be done rather quickly when I noticed emulation bugs.

That flashcart is kinda not useful as a piracy device. Best to go the Modchip route if you're going to invest in that type of thing.

The Citra thing was just the Tropic Haze-involved stuff. This was just a seizure of their code and online assets.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage