Genre of the Month (JAN 2024 TR) - Plentiful Platformers

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ziggy

Re: Genre of the Month (JAN 2024 TR) - Plentiful Platformers

Post by Ziggy »

I've gravitated more to Mega Man X (at least, the first four games) as oppose to the original Mega Man series. The first six NES games, I don't dislike them, I just never got into them the way I would have liked to. Mega Man 8, I've given it several chances, and something about it just doesn't click with me. I want to like the game, but I think it's too cute. So Mega Man 7 ends up being my favorite, of the original MM games. I have MM11, but I have yet to play it.

I should really give Price of Persia: Sands of Time a try. It's like a quintessential game of that era. I remember when it came out, you would have to be living under a rock to not have heard of it. And yet, I never really gave it a try for some reason.
marurun

Post by marurun »

For me the perfect Mega Man game was Mega Man 2. Charging is cool, but the sound effect is not, and sliding has never felt good to me the way it was implemented. The slightly reduced difficulty also helped, because the original Mega Man was pretty unforgiving. It was a good length, a reasonable difficulty, and had a great soundtrack.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The first Mega Man has the pause glitch though. And if you abuse that, the game actually isn't very hard. :lol:
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:The first Mega Man has the pause glitch though. And if you abuse that, the game actually isn't very hard. :lol:

I knew about the glitch and still found some parts of the game quite hard. Mega Man 2 has a pause trick, too. When you pause and unpause it can reset some of your downward motion in a fall, so you can use it to get better side-to-side motion on the falling bits.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

I played the original Mega Man so much I could beat every robot master with the Mega Buster without getting hit, but I still died every time I got to the Cyclops/Yellow Devil.
I refused to use the pause glitch, even though I knew about it.

I went back to the game about twelve years later, inspired by the web series "Until We Win," which was current at the time, and finally beat it.

"Until We Win" and later "Game Center CX" really made me want to go back and beat games that defeated me as a kid. To tie it back to this topic, these games were mostly platformers.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Ziggy587 wrote:I've gravitated more to Mega Man X (at least, the first four games) as oppose to the original Mega Man series. The first six NES games, I don't dislike them, I just never got into them the way I would have liked to. Mega Man 8, I've given it several chances, and something about it just doesn't click with me. I want to like the game, but I think it's too cute. So Mega Man 7 ends up being my favorite, of the original MM games. I have MM11, but I have yet to play it.

I should really give Price of Persia: Sands of Time a try. It's like a quintessential game of that era. I remember when it came out, you would have to be living under a rock to not have heard of it. And yet, I never really gave it a try for some reason.

Sands of Time was pretty much a perfect game. I feel like the POP series has been struggling to reach that level of quality again for years.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

In platform related news

Shadow of the Ninja Reborn just went up for pre orders on various sites. There's a retail release and one from Strictly Limited Games

Also, LRG is releasing a collector's edition of Shantae and the Pirate's Curse that's already been floating around on ebay for the past few weeks, and lying to everyone that it's the last 3ds release even though Red Art games already released the game a long time ago. I think the actual last 3ds game is either something from VBlank or one of those Silver Falls games. It might still interest anyone looking for a Pirate's Curse variant though
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Raging Justice wrote:Also, LRG is releasing a collector's edition of Shantae and the Pirate's Curse that's already been floating around on ebay for the past few weeks, and lying to everyone that it's the last 3ds release even though Red Art games already released the game a long time ago. I think the actual last 3ds game is either something from VBlank or one of those Silver Falls games. It might still interest anyone looking for a Pirate's Curse variant though

Unless I missed some poorly worded promotional material, they've been saying that it is their last 3ds release. Meaning this is the last batch of 3ds carts they could get their hands on.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

I don't know why Popeye NES gets so much flak. I think it's an excellent port. Am I missing something that the die-hard arcaders would have experienced?

Limewater wrote:I played the original Mega Man so much I could beat every robot master with the Mega Buster without getting hit, but I still died every time I got to the Cyclops/Yellow Devil.
I refused to use the pause glitch, even though I knew about it.

I went back to the game about twelve years later, inspired by the web series "Until We Win," which was current at the time, and finally beat it.

"Until We Win" and later "Game Center CX" really made me want to go back and beat games that defeated me as a kid. To tie it back to this topic, these games were mostly platformers.

Mega Man 1 is underrated, in that usually people give more love to 2 or 3, but 1 is usually far down top 100 lists (20 Sydlexia, though lower than MM2 or MM3, 30 IGN, 77 Paste, 58 some guy at VG Sage, unranked Shawn Schaller, unranked Retro Sanctuary). Maybe it's my affection for some of the archaic roughness, but MM1 really deserves more love, glitch or no glitch.

Also, 3D platformers aren't real platformers, and the two genres should be completely separate.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I'm not touching that 3d platformers are not platformers comment, or the thread will get derailed again

So I got to see how scalping works first hand recently and it's nauseating.

I thought about grabbing a copy of the collector's edition of this new Shantae and the Pirate's Cruse 3ds, variant release from LRG. Mind you, I was on the website when the orders when live. Before I could even finish checking out, it was sold out. I literally had the thing in my cart and was putting in my payment and shipping info. Went it wouldn't go through I got frustrated, and kept trying again. Then I went back to the main page of the website and saw that it was sold out. Crazy. I then went on ebay and immediately saw new listings for it at like triple the LRG price. This was like five or six minutes after these things went live on Limited Run Games

Ugh. This kind of stuff makes me sick. It's fine though, this wasn't a must have for me anyway and I did manage to snag a standard copy, which was cheaper anyway. That one is currently sold out too as I type this. I'm just sort of miffed that I missed out on getting the collector's edition considering the insane increase in value the collector's edition of the Switch version has gained in the time since its initial release. This new 3ds, collector's edition is essentially the exact same one as the Switch version.

This whole thing was a debacle. Since copies of the game had circulated out into the wild before it was released, I would imagine the actual supply that LRG had available was pretty low when the orders went live, even though LRG claims that these collector's editions are going into production now (bullshit)