Games Acquired 2024

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Note
Next-Gen

Re: Games Acquired 2024

Post by Note »

I'm really disappointed I missed the news about Castle Crashers getting a physical release on the Switch! I'm hoping I can eventually get a copy for a somewhat reasonable price.

Really nice pick-up, for sure.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

So after a fun little fiasco involving it getting delivered to a neighbor, I got my hands on a HORI D-Pad Controller as it's called. I'd rather call it a d-pad joycon, but whatever.

Since I'm gaming a lot on my Switch lately, I've been looking for ways to make it more enjoyable and have been trying different products. This thing is pretty cheap on amazon (a little over 20 bucks) and the d-pad is phenomenal. Way better than the default, 4 button, d-pad on the standard joy con, and way better than the d-pads on some other joy con replacements or Switch system shells that I've tried. There are some minor cons though.

It's for handheld mode only.

The thing is not quite as much of a tight fit as the standard, left side, joycon. Like you can actually wiggle the thing ever so slightly with your hands if you try. It's not a big deal, but while playing a game I could occasionally feel it moving in my hand. It's a minor distraction that I'll probably get used to and not even notice after using it for a few days, but a bit surprising given how high quality hori products typically are. It gives the thing a slightly cheap feel, but like I said before though, the d-pad feels REALLY good. I have to try playing a 2-d fighter with this thing. I imagine it will perform extremely well.

This is purely a cosmetic thing. I have the Zelda version of the Oled Switch. So I got the Zelda version of the HORI D-Pad joycon so it would match my right side joy con. Problem is the Hori joycon has more black than gold in its color scheme as pictured above, while the joycons for the Zelda oled focuses more on gold as you can see here

The Zelda insignia is smaller too. Not a big deal, just a little irritating to that OCD part of my brain. HORI went with a design that feels more in line with this 3ds model:

Since there doesn't seem to be a perfect, all in one, product for replacing the Switch joy cons, I will probably alternate between this Hori d-pad joycon for 2d games, and something with a hall effect analog stick for other stuff. I have a NexiGo Hall Effect Gripcon that can come in handy for that.

Note wrote:I'm really disappointed I missed the news about Castle Crashers getting a physical release on the Switch! I'm hoping I can eventually get a copy for a somewhat reasonable price.

Really nice pick-up, for sure.

Thanks. It came in a fancy red box with a mobile phone strap. I didn't know the physical release came with extras. Anyway, I hope you can find a copy and I agree with everyone's comments, it's a great game. My favorite from The Behemoth. I never was much into Alien Hominid, though I really enjoyed that little, platformer, mini-game that came with it.

There's actually a second Alien Hominid game they released. I don't know how many people know about that.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Finally got my brand new import copy of Yohane the parhelion blaze for Switch, along with the pre order magnets, after an arduous several weeks of waiting. On the plus side they are in immaculate condition.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Acquired in 2024 so far - 2 Games; 1 physical, 1 digital
(physical is in regular font, digital is in italics)

January (2 Games Acquired; 1 physical, 1 digital)
The Hundred Year Kingdom (Switch)
Persona 3 Portable (Switch)

New for January 11
The Hundred Year Kingdom (Switch)
Persona 3 Portable (Switch)
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

January 2024:
Project Overkill (PS1)
Under Defeat (Dreamcast)

Two new games for 2024 so far.

Firstly, I picked up Project Overkill for £20. I had never heard of this game until recently (or if I had, I have since forgotten about it). I was reading an old magazine and stumbled upon an article about it before the game was out. I thought it looked cool, looked it up online and so I bought it

Secondly, Under Defeat is a game I have wanted for ages. It's one of (maybe the) last commercial releases for the console, as a 2006 release. There was an HD remaster on PS3 and 360 which is considered inferior. It cost me £50.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - Switch

I spotted it for a fairly good price and couldn't pass it up given the holy grail-ish reputation the Switch version of the game seems to be getting. I had played the game recently and was a little underwhelmed but I'm gonna give it another shot. I remember I got kind of pissed off at a frustrating section where shantae has to carry this zombie girl around for what feels like foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever. It triggered me and I said some scathing things about the game in another thread.

Also:

Dust: An Elysian Tail (with the Fidget cover variant) - Switch

Dust is an old favorite of mine. I even own two copies (don't ask why) of the IndieBox PC collector's edition and I generally don't even play PC games

Grim Guardians: Demon Purge (Japanese Release) - Switch

Why the Japanese release? It's stupid, but I like having the originally named version of the game on cartridge as the international versions are all named Gal Guardians: Demon Purge due to some legal issue IntiCreates ran into. I know Grim Guardians is what they WANTED to call this game and like a lot of Asian releases these days, it has English support.

The next three games looked really interesting from what I've read and seen about them, so I decided to buy them:

Nuclear Blaze - Switch

Something about fire fighter games that I find fascinating

Exzeus: The Complete Collection - Switch

Old school, rail shooter, arcade action...with mechs!

They Always Run - Switch

Looks like a sci fi, sphagetti western, cinematic platformer
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Just received my copy of Tinykin for the Switch from Super rare games in the mail

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Raging Justice wrote:Just received my copy of Tinykin for the Switch from Super rare games in the mail

That looks interesting. I have never heard of it before, so might have to check it out. I am on a bit of a quest at the moment to find new and interesting platformer games to play with my son.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Reprise wrote:Firstly, I picked up Project Overkill for £20. I had never heard of this game until recently (or if I had, I have since forgotten about it). I was reading an old magazine and stumbled upon an article about it before the game was out. I thought it looked cool, looked it up online and so I bought it

Secondly, Under Defeat is a game I have wanted for ages. It's one of (maybe the) last commercial releases for the console, as a 2006 release. There was an HD remaster on PS3 and 360 which is considered inferior. It cost me £50.

Some nice pick-ups posted in here lately, but it's definitely awesome to see the Dreamcast getting some shine! I've heard good things about Under Defeat, hope you enjoy! Project Overkill looks interesting as well, curious to hear your thoughts on it.

I haven't picked up many DC games the past few years, hoping to change that in 2024.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Note wrote:Some nice pick-ups posted in here lately, but it's definitely awesome to see the Dreamcast getting some shine! I've heard good things about Under Defeat, hope you enjoy! Project Overkill looks interesting as well, curious to hear your thoughts on it.

I haven't picked up many DC games the past few years, hoping to change that in 2024.

Thanks, the Dreamcast has remained probably my favourite and most loved console since its release. I remember when Under Defeat came out and you could order it from Play Asia, but for whatever reason I never got around to picking it up. I remember at that point though I had just gotten into importing Dreamcast games from Japan and so was buying a lot of games that didn't get Western (or at least UK) releases. I played a bit of Under Defeat the other day and it's a lot of fun, I like the presentation and that it doesn't feel too difficult so far (I do like bullet hells if they click with me, but sometimes it's nice to play a shmup that doesn't begin with a billion things filling the screen :lol: )

I don't pick up as many Dreamcast games anymore. I think I only picked up a handful last year (Super Magnetic Neo, Sega Marine Fishing, Bomber Hehhe and Garou: Mark of the Wolves are the ones I can remember), but there's a couple more I hope to get this year.