"Essential Plays" for the Sega Genesis / Megadrive

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
racketboy
Site Admin

"Essential Plays" for the Sega Genesis / Megadrive

Post by racketboy »

I teased this concept in another thread, but I'm hoping to collaboratively test-drive this concept.

Let me run down the "rules" and groupings of this list and then I'd love to hear your recommendations for games to include:

Fully Essential Games = Games that any retro gamer (or maybe even more casual gamers) should play regardless of their genre preferences.
* Games that hold up especially well in the current age (with the assumption that you enjoy classic gaming, in general)
* This should probably avoid games that are known for having a high difficulty level
* This could/should also include iconic games that are multi-platform/arcade/PC ports but have superior ports/versions on the given platform.

Genre-Specific Essentials = Games that fans of a given genre should consider essential, but not really for those that are fans of the genre
* For example, some RPGs might be really excellent and also accessible to those that aren't experienced RPG fans (could also serve as a good introduction to a genre)

Challenging Essentials = Games that are highly recommended as long as you are down for a steep learning curve/difficulty level.

OK, with that being said....
* :roll: What feedback do you have for these "rules"? Anything to add?
* What Sega Genesis / Megadrive games do you think deserve to be in each section? (if you have some notes to share on your nomination, I'd love to hear them)
marurun

Re: "Essential Plays" for the Sega Genesis / Megadrive

Post by marurun »

I gotta say, the Genesis has a ton. All the re-releases and collections kind of back this up. But if we stick to just the highest profile titles (thus essential), we're already on good footing:

Streets of Rage 2
Sonic 2
Gunstar Heroes
Revenge of Shinobi
Shadow Dancer
Shinobi 3 (arguably better, for some definition of better, than the other 2 Shinobi titles but not quite as "classic", and the more "classic" titles still hold up in playability today as well as Shinobi 3)
Castlevania: Bloodlines (not sure on this one. Great game, but also a tad jank in a couple places)
Contra: Hard Corps
Rocket Knight Adventures
Thunderforce 3
Thunderforce IV (better looking and sounding than 3, but not as good a game)
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Monster World IV (if including titles not originally available in English in cartridge form)
Shining Force II
Golden Axe II
TMNT: Hyperstone Heist
Mega Bomberman (Sure, 94 is a slightly better version of the same game, but this is still a great game and the only Bomberman on Genesis)
Quackshot
Comix Zone (flawed, sometimes frustrating, but still very cool and mostly fun to play)
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Only Sonic 2 ?

While I feel like Sonic 2 beats the pants off the original game, I still feel like the first game is very much worth playing. It's like leaving the first Super Mario Bros off the NES Essential Plays list.

Sonic 2 was my favorite for a long while, but I think 3&Knuckles took over first place for me. Sonic 2 cranked everything up to 10, but Sonic 3 went to 11. But really, I feel like the entire Sonic trilogy (& Knuckles) are essential plays for the Genesis. If you like any one of them, you will naturally like the rest.

marurun wrote:Castlevania: Bloodlines (not sure on this one. Great game, but also a tad jank in a couple places)

Bloodlines would get my vote to make the list.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Yeah, I figured the Genesis would be a good test-bed, large library that many of us know well :)

Would it be fair to put Comix Zone and Contra Hard Corps in the "Challenging Essentials" category? Any others to go in there?
Comix Zone is definitely an intriguing one style-wise, but it can also turn a lot of people off with its difficulty.

TMNT: Hyperstone Heist: while I haven't completed it, I was kinda disappointed by it compared to some of the TMNT peers. Might be an easier entry into a brawler-specific section though.

Would you say that any of the others would be only a strong recommendation if you like the genre specifically?

I've only played the original Shining Force, but I would say that it's a great entry into strategy RPGs so I'd have it on the primary, 'Fully Essential" category.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ziggy587 wrote: But really, I feel like the entire Sonic trilogy (& Knuckles) are essential plays for the Genesis. If you like any one of them, you will naturally like the rest.

As funny as it kinda sounds, I could see Sonic 1 being kinda "eh" for some people.
This also comes into the concept of how long this list is going to end up being.
For Sonic, you could make the argument that Sonic 2 is the headliner and then you have follow-up recommendations for the rest of the series at the end with a bolded heading or something.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

I'm with Ziggy. All three Sonic games (including S&K with 3) are absolutely essential.

Regular:

Castle of Illusion
World of Illusion
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Earthworm Jim
Ghouls N Ghosts (or Challenge?)
Golden Axe II
Monster World IV (JP)
NBA Jam
Revenge of Shinobi
Shinobi III
Road Rash II
Rocket Knight
Sonic 1, 2, 3+Knuckles
Streets of Rage 2
Strider
Twinkle Tale (JP)

Challenge:

Ecco the Dolphin
Jurassic Park
Lion King

Genre Shootemup:

Eliminate Down (JP)
Gaiares
Gleylancer (JP)
Thunder Force III
Lightening Force
Truxton

Genre Wrestling:

WWF Royal Rumble

---
I left off a bunch of nostalgia favorites, like Bart's Nightmare, Stimpy's Invention, Aladdin, and Jungle Book, because they're hard for me to judge with fresh eyes. I also have no idea what Marvel games to recommend, since I never really branched out beyond those I played as a kid (chiefly X-Men and Maximum Carnage). A few others I'm still considering, but the above is what I would consider a solid list.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

o.pwuaioc wrote:Regular:

Castle of Illusion
World of Illusion
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Earthworm Jim
Ghouls N Ghosts (or Challenge?)
Golden Axe II
Monster World IV (JP)
NBA Jam
Revenge of Shinobi
Shinobi III
Road Rash II
Rocket Knight
Sonic 1, 2, 3+Knuckles
Streets of Rage 2
Strider
Twinkle Tale (JP)

Challenge:

Ecco the Dolphin
Jurassic Park
Lion King

Genre Shootemup:

Eliminate Down (JP)
Gaiares
Gleylancer (JP)
Thunder Force III
Lightening Force
Truxton

Genre Wrestling:

WWF Royal Rumble

I agree with this awesome list. I’d move Ghouls ‘n Ghosts and Revenge of Shinobi to the “Challenge” category, though.

Some I’d add:

Regular
Beyond Oasis
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Ms. Pac Man (Its still the best port!) :P
Phantasy Star IV
Ranger X
Shining Force II
Streets of Rage
Wonder Boy in Monster World

Genre Shmup
Steel Empire
Super Fantasy Zone
Wings of Wor
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Ms. Pac Man (Its still the best port!) :P

I thought about adding Frogger, since the best port is also on the Genesis, but I was iffy.

Also, I never loved the scrolling on the Pac-Man ports. I can't shake the single screen feeling. So let me introduce you to Bob DeCrescenzo's 7800 version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA_7laOgn2M&t=266s

The graphics aren't on par with the Genesis version, but it's the best single screen you'll get.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Confession time: I don't think I've ever played much of the Golden Axe games.
Do they really hold up that well in the modern era?

I'm a brawler fan, in general, so I should actually try them out. However, they just didn't look that appealing, to be honest.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

racketboy wrote:Confession time: I don't think I've ever played much of the Golden Axe games.
Do they really hold up that well in the modern era?

I'm a brawler fan, in general, so I should actually try them out. However, they just didn't look that appealing, to be honest.

They’re really basic and really short. They have a dark swords-and-sorcery aesthetic that borrows heavily from Conan The Barbarian, and the music is great.

They don’t REALLY hold up to modern brawlers, but they’re fun if you’re looking for something you can blow through in 30 minutes without thinking too hard.