Recommended Accessories or Hardware Upgrades for the PSP?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
racketboy
Site Admin

Recommended Accessories or Hardware Upgrades for the PSP?

Post by racketboy »

Working on another section for the PSP Beginner's Guide (let me know if you'd like to collaborate on our Google Doc)...

What accessories or hardware upgrades are worth mentioning in this modern era?

I know aftermarket batteries were mentioned in a past thread -- if there's anything specific to look for in things like that, please let me know too.

Thanks!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Recommended Accessories or Hardware Upgrades for the PSP

Post by alienjesus »

Kind of an out there suggestion, but a PS3 is probably a useful accessory if you plan to buy any PSP games digitally (like if you have a PSP Go for example). You can't buy PSP games via that system's store anymore but you can still buy them on PS3 and either download them on PSP or transfer them there via the PS3 menu.
lwcook
128-bit

Post by lwcook »

For the PSP 1000-3000 models, a micro SD to memory stick pro duo (Sony's proprietary storage of the day) adapter and a micro SD card is essential. Even if you don't put CFW on it, you need space for save files and digital games.

For the PSP Go, it's not as crucial as it has 16gb on-board storage. It uses an M2 format for additional space - there are diy adapters on Etsy and such to let you stuff a pro duo adapter behind the back cover. Handy to have but it's a lot more involved.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I agree about the dual micro-sd card. I've purchased about 7 of them, and they never failed. I purchased about 8 aftermarket batteries between the phat and thin models I had. I gave the whole lot of original PSPs and batteries to my friend who can do some amazing OCD things when he is driven. It took him a few months but he has found the working batteries and made all the PSPs work. I'll ask him for some input here.
The original foam sleeve was more than adequate. I bought 5 aftermarket protective shells, but they were unremarkable and not necessary. Even all the screen protectors I ever bought were horrible. All the aftermarket PSP accessories I ever owned were donated to the Racketboy Charity Auction at some point. I can provide pictures and comment on them, but they were all not necessary. I even reshelled a PSP 3000. The new shell didn't fit well, had gaps and was kinda warped. the screen plastic was less good than the original. It was all bad, and the best I could buy at the time.

I think I had an aftermarket accessory that allowed you to control the volume with buttons on regular headphones (there are earbuds with media controls I think)
I thought I remembered using bluetooth audio on the PSP, but it was a tiny external encoder. There is a small internal mod you can install easily.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Rydon
24-bit

Post by Rydon »

I was pretty heavy into PSP collecting a while back ( 5 years or so), and I got a 3000 model as I saw that as the "best" one to play physical UMD games. I can't remember the details but each model has it's downsides and upsides (screen, resolution, battery life, etc.) and I remember thinking that no matter which one you pick there will never be an optimal one, so I picked 3000 model.
For the accessories, I would go with the PSP component cables to hook up and play on your TV (although component seems to be going by the wayside for newer TVs these days). Also I went overboard and got the Playstation 3D display, which is a 1080p display, made by Sony to help push their 3D games for PS3 back in the day. It has HDMI and component inputs, and the secondary feature that I liked was that for the PSP, the 3D display will scale the games in the correct aspect ratio for full screen, etc. via the PSP Component cables. I also use the PSP carrying case which is good for not damaging the PSP for trips. The case is bulky but it can prop up the system for watching movies, etc.
Other than that I don't have any other accessories, but those have served me well over the years.

For a quick aside, I noticed that Patapon 2 wasn't on the PSP games list you made (I don't think it was anyway). Which is surprising as it had a digital only release in the US and then at a later date, was released physically and (I believe) in low quantities. Could be wrong on that but wanted to point it out.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

It feels inappropriate for a PSP-specific hardware discussion, but IMO the PS Vita is the best way to play PSP games in handheld mode. There are a few incompatible games and it obviously won't run UMDs, but it's a big upgrade from any model of normal PSP.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

For conciseness i'll go ahead and point out that a modded PS Vita or PSTV is able to output a better video signal while playing all of the previous console's library and with a couple of plugins, you can customize the video output far beyond any game, emulator or developer's intentions for any game.

Those incompatible games mentioned have easy fixes.
Plugins exist to translate the output to 1:1 or upscale better for your display. It's all digital and perfect, but a scaler is recommended if you dislike letterboxing.
The PS Vita can do all of the desirable things A PSP original can, but better. With a perfect quadruple of the original pixel size, it looks sharper and better, and with a hack it will be able to play better all of the original games. The hacks can enforce compatability to the point that you m
Check out My Life in Gaming's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyNqB6_fsDM
The Vita is actually better than original hardware because its video chip can output a better RGB signal than any PlayStation. If you dislike official emulators, you will suffer a lesser video experience until you buy a Mister.
I gave my friend my old stockpile of like-new, expendables and spare parts because I no longer needed them.m
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

UMD replacement cases and UMD disc repair are must haves, I just recently got back into psp (completed my collection too) and had to stock up on those. Also a protective case for storing and I like the cable for playing on TV. Wish I could find a controller grip attachment.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Thanks, everyone! This is great so far!
One question so far: what is "UMD disc repair" -- can you share an example product?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I just asked my friend to photograph the batteries that are still functional. I bought at least 6 1st and 3rd party replacement batteries for all PSP versions personally over the years, and ended up with a bunch more after being given a lot of PSPs (I try to convince anyone owning one how incredible they are and some people just gave them to me).
As I said, I gave him my entire collection of original PSPs and all the accessories. It took months, but he used the consoles to do a proper deep cycle test on all the batteries and has a definitive final metric on the remaining batteries that weren't DOA.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage