Is 70% Alcohol safe for consoles?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Is 70% Alcohol safe for consoles?

Post by fuctfuct »

I will be cleaning up a few consoles. Redoing my setup. Cleaning some old and adding some new stuff. Is spraying 70% Alcohol on a microfiber safe for most consoles? I did it to my old falcon 360 fat to put away since I replaced it with a NIB Slim E. Seems ok but I came across a YouTube vid about cleaning consoles that said not to... Says it can "dull" the plastic. I know I can just use a damp cloth but I'm a little bit of a germ freak so I like the idea of disinfecting lol

I've only really used Alcohol for cleaning PCBs. Use 99% for that. Thought it would be too strong so got some 70%. I've also always used 70 for controllers.

Cheers
Ziggy

Re: Is 70% Alcohol safe for consoles?

Post by Ziggy »

I almost always use isopropyl alcohol to clean console and cart plastics. And usually 99%, too. Though I tend not to use it on black Sega hardware anymore. While it can dull the plastic, I've never had that issue. But you can remove the white logos. So if you are going to use alcohol on a black Sega console (or controller) just go easy around the logos. Otherwise, I personally have never had an issue with alcohol dulling plastic. And I've used a liberal amount of it on many different plastics. Your results may vary.

Here's a tip: Go to grocery store and buy a gallon of distilled water. It may or may not be kept where the drinking water is. Then buy only 99% isopropyl alcohol from then on. If you need a weaker mix, then just make some yourself. This is better than paying the same price for 50 or 70% rubbing alcohol that you would for 99%, only you're getting a watered down product.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Re: Is 70% Alcohol safe for consoles?

Post by fuctfuct »

Thanks, and good idea. :P