Found it--->>>Can't find this classic rock song

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Found it--->>>Can't find this classic rock song

Post by nightrnr »

I heard a song on the radio and am going crazy trying to figure out what it is.
It's folksy classic rock, I'm thinking 70's, but can't be sure.
It's a fairly long song (9 minutes maybe, but I could be off on that). Has more guitar jamming than lyrics, but does have a couple verses.
All I could make out and remember was something about
a "castle before you"
and something about a "key unlocks the soul".

So yeah, not much to go on.
Does any of that ring a bell though?

Singing style sound like Crosby, Stills & Nash (think Southern Cross Chorus).

Anyone know what song I'm badly describing?

--Edit--
Oh, and some of the guitar riff sounds like a faster version of "The Passenger" by Iggy Pop
Last edited by nightrnr on Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...just another lost soul...
Ack

Re: Can't find this classic rock song

Post by Ack »

Cara's Castle by Joni Mitchell?
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Ack wrote:Cara's Castle by Joni Mitchell?

Given the length of nightrnr's song and the singing style, my money is on prog rock. (Granted, not that much money...)
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

FOUND IT!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cz2CAtExXgQ

"Green Grass and High Tides"
by The Outlaws.

Man, I really butchered the lyrics, but couldn't make them out on my ride home last night.
Anyway it hit me just right and seems to be a good driving song for me.

What a rocking jam!
I love finding older songs that I missed, especially in classic rock. It took a lot of youtube searching to run across it, but once you know the sound and band contemporaries, it's going to be on someone's mix. Youtube suggestions help too.
Last edited by nightrnr on Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

o.pwuaioc wrote:

Given the length of nightrnr's song and the singing style, my money is on prog rock. (Granted, not that much money...)

Is that considered prog rock then?
I get lost in what genre is what. I love music, just never quite know what to call things. It's all rock and roll to me, I guess.
marurun

Post by marurun »

nightrnr wrote:FOUND IT!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cz2CAtExXgQ

"Green Grass and High Tides"
by The Outlaws.

Man, I really butchered the lyrics, but couldn't make them out on my ride home last night.
Anyway it hit me just right and seems to be a good driving song for me.

What a rocking jam!
I love finding older songs that I missed, especially in classic rock. It took a lot of youtube searching to run across it, but once you know the sound and band contemporaries, it's going to be on someone's mix. Youtube suggestions help too.

Despite listening to classic rock stations all the time until a few years ago, including when I lived in the south, I've never heard of this band nor this song before. I'm not normally a fan of southern rock, but this particular track is a neat mid-point between southern rock and American progressive rock (which wasn't really much of a thing at the time). I mean, it's a little too guitar-focused to really quality as prog, but it's still interesting.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

nightrnr wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:

Is that considered prog rock then?
I get lost in what genre is what. I love music, just never quite know what to call things. It's all rock and roll to me, I guess.

Nope! I was wrong. This is more southern rock. I'm not the biggest fan of the genre, but some bands do really get into the guitar - think like Allman Brothers "Whipping Post" on their Fillmore East album. They took a five minute song and turned it into a 20 minute monster.

marurun wrote:Despite listening to classic rock stations all the time until a few years ago, including when I lived in the south, I've never heard of this band nor this song before. I'm not normally a fan of southern rock, but this particular track is a neat mid-point between southern rock and American progressive rock (which wasn't really much of a thing at the time). I mean, it's a little too guitar-focused to really quality as prog, but it's still interesting.

Their cover of Ghost Riders back in 1980 was pretty big and came back into public consciousness on Youtube, with millions of views on the video. Green Grass doesn't get the same play because of the length.
MrPopo

Re: Found it--->>>Can't find this classic rock song

Post by MrPopo »

One time I was at a Lynyrd Skynyrd show with The Outlaws opening, so I got to experience both "here's a bit of lyrics, then nothing but guitar solos" southern rock epics in one evening.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
lwcook
128-bit

Post by lwcook »

The only reason I know of Green Grass and High Tides or the Outlaws was because it was THE song on Rock Band 1. Say what you will about the rhythm game boom, but I'm still thankful that it made me listen and appreciate something I previously wouldn't touch.
marurun

Post by marurun »

MrPopo wrote:One time I was at a Lynyrd Skynyrd show with The Outlaws opening, so I got to experience both "here's a bit of lyrics, then nothing but guitar solos" southern rock epics in one evening.

You couldn't pay me to go to a Lynyrd Skynyrd show. But then, I already said my piece about southern rock...
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.