Together Retro November, 2020 - Games NOT Beaten

Join in on our classic gaming club!
SpaceBooger

Re: Together Retro November, 2020 - Games NOT Beaten

Post by SpaceBooger »

I'm going to throw Shining Force 3 S1 up for this month. I have been trudging along all summer and just got to the last chapter today.
So after that... So many to choose from... Baulders Gate Dark Alliance, FF IX, Lufia 2, Batman (the movie) for Genesis, Adventures of Batman and Robin SNES... I don't know. I'll think more about it after I finish SF3.
I normally only play games now from 7-9am on the weekends... so it may take me all month to finish chapter 6 of SF3.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Played Dawn of Discovery again. Turns out the last time I played it was May 9th. It is part of Anno series, but for the wii. It feels A LOT more accessible as it has a story mode, and that mode is basically one giant tutorial teaching you each concept one by one. Only bad part is that when you have an objective, they repeat what you have to do like every 45 seconds, and a lot of the objectives just comes down to waiting for enough resources to be made.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I played through Gain Ground on my PS3 Sonic's Genesis Collection today!
This was a game I played all the time as a kid on the PS2 Genesis Collection, but I could never beat it. The final boss would always turn me to mincemeat TwT. I had even gotten good enough to get to the final boss without losing a single fighter, but I just couldn't beat that bastard its damn homing missiles. It was a SUPER close match this time, but I beat him on my first try! :D
I used save states at the start of levels, but not in between levels. I knew I could get to the final boss, so that wasn't really what I wanted to test myself on here. I beat the final boss with no save states mid-battle, and that's good enough for me ^w^

I think next I might play another game or two on the Genesis Collection. Might try and finally beat Bonanza Bros., another favorite as a kid, or try and get through one of the Sonic games. Never managed to beat ANY of them as a kid XP
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Just realized a huge one that I played back in January but stopped: Red Dead Redemption. I'll do that one after Dawn of Discovery and Shadow of Destiny. I'll definitely play Sonic 2, just later.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

I beat Bonanza Bros. this morning! I really never realized how short the game was, and was just mucking about in it before I got ready for work, but it turns out that pyramid level that always gets me was in fact the last stage all along XD. It's really tight with the time limit it gives you, but I finally did it~. At this rate, I may need to do an AJ-style multi-review of all the Mega Drive games I finish if I decide to keep going with them XD
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

OK, so I sorta just beat a game that had previously been unbeaten....

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

So I've beaten this game before, but only kinda sorta. The one time I beat this using my actual NES cart, I had just followed a walkthrough from start to finish. I really don't like doing that, and not because I think it's cheating or something, I just don't have fun playing the game when I have to stop and read every few minutes. I really do like this game, the mechanics and the music and stuff like that. I just don't like how I have no clue where I'm going or what the hell I'm suppose to be doing.

Then comes along a hack that adds an in-game map, re-translates all the dialog so clues actually help you, adds SRAM save game progress, makes the day/night transitions seamless, and a few other improvements. On top of that, there's another hack that makes false blocks a different color and breakable blocks have cracks in them so you don't have to go around throwing holy water at every thing for the entire game (which really isn't fun at all). And the two hacks are compatible with each other. I had tested the hack out on my flash cart and played a little bit of it but never finished it. It's been on my list for a while.

So I just played through the game with these two hacks applied and had a blast. I got the worst ending, but I really spent my time exploring. I think I might play it again right now and aim for the best ending.

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Note wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:I'm not off to a good start with Super Metroid... I'm playing with a real cart on my SNES. I started a new save and played for 30+ minutes last night. Then when I went to play it a little this morning, the game froze on the Nintendo splash screen. I lost my save file. I know I was only 30 minutes in, but still. Pretty annoying.

That's rough, and annoying experiences like that definitely turned me off from games in the past. Hopefully you restarted it and got back to where you were.

I've also had trouble beating Super Metroid, but my issue is with executing some of the button commands for jump moves that are needed reach certain areas late in the game. Love the game, has such a great atmosphere and art style, but have trouble with the controls.

The wall jump definitely is a big stain on what is to me otherwise a 10/10 game. That said, you're not required to master it to beat the game. It's fairly easy to pull off once to get out of that hole in Brinstar, and the rest is for goodies.

Still a top 10 for me.

Also, unless it's an initial playthrough, 30 minutes in Metroid is actually quite a bit of action. Luckily, it's only 30 minutes.

I actually haven't played Super Metroid since this happened, but I was also super busy this past week. I might start a new file before November ends.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

I tried playing through Sonic 1 on the Genesis collection and got a game over just after Labyrinth Zone. I still find this game a bit too frustrating to have all that much fun with it, so I think it'll remain unbeaten XP

I did also start playing Golden Axe Warrior, also on the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection, and while I haven't tried to beat that game before, I'm having a lot of fun with it X3

I think I'll given Sonic 2 a try after I finished GAW (which will probably be later today) and possibly some of the other classic Sonic games as well. I remember the first Sonic being the least well thought of of the older games, so I'd like to at least give the other ones a fair shake before throwing in the towel again ^^;
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I tried playing through Sonic 1 on the Genesis collection and got a game over just after Labyrinth Zone. I still find this game a bit too frustrating to have all that much fun with it, so I think it'll remain unbeaten XP

I did also start playing Golden Axe Warrior, also on the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection, and while I haven't tried to beat that game before, I'm having a lot of fun with it X3

I think I'll given Sonic 2 a try after I finished GAW (which will probably be later today) and possibly some of the other classic Sonic games as well. I remember the first Sonic being the least well thought of of the older games, so I'd like to at least give the other ones a fair shake before throwing in the towel again ^^;

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27725

:lol:
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

Played some more Guardian Legend yesterday. Finished Corridors 11 and 12, and now I think I'm starting to get somewhere.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Ziggy587 wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:I tried playing through Sonic 1 on the Genesis collection and got a game over just after Labyrinth Zone. I still find this game a bit too frustrating to have all that much fun with it, so I think it'll remain unbeaten XP

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27725

:lol:

Nowhere is there a lie in that post XD

That boss is awwwwwful after a terrrrible stage. And HECK those little spike throwing bastards :lol: