No votes
Linux Ubuntu
3%
Other (Please explain)
6%

Total votes: 32

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: What is your main OS and why? (Poll)

Post by fastbilly1 »

Right now the hope is that these museums dont go under because of the virus. I know a few that had to sell off assets to stay afloat.

As for OS wars, right now its just silly, but with the shift to Arm for OSX next year we will see. Honestly I hope the Arm chips they choose have the horsepower to keepup, or else Apple is going to lose key market space in the video industry. Close enough horsepower is acceptible for the majority of users, but I know people who buy a multiple Mac Pros every iteration for video work and they are all very worried.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The ARM chips will move into that Pro space last, likely, and the way Apple has been pushing the ARM spec, they may eventually make it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

BomberDino wrote:They might even have older systems for guests to play with; I could install BeOS and relive the glory days. (Honestly, BeOS was a poor general purpose OS.)

I honestly thought BeOS was made with the basis of being the OS of the next century, that demo was so incredibly powerful compared to what Win95 or OS7 could do. It simply looked the natural evolutionary path of the Macintosh OS. To me BeOS was the dream of what could have been but we never saw, Jobs favouring himself of course, chose NextSTEP which was glorified BSD/Unix system. In the end though Mac OS X was better than anything I imagined I would do myself with BeOS, or anyone. Jobs knows best I guess.

Of course, I am not technical just what I observed from the two demos of the OS's.

fastbilly1 wrote:As for OS wars, right now its just silly, but with the shift to Arm for OSX next year we will see. Honestly I hope the Arm chips they choose have the horsepower to keepup, or else Apple is going to lose key market space in the video industry. Close enough horsepower is acceptible for the majority of users, but I know people who buy a multiple Mac Pros every iteration for video work and they are all very worried.

I love wars, it brings the best of the competitors and drives innovation. That challenge and instinct to win to prove one is right bring great products/inventions, just look at Genesis and SNES. Its so much better than "Yea..okay..whatever..." attitude. I wish a war ignites again on the desktop platform between Windows, Mac, and Linux. Microsoft is relaxed with their absolute majority marketshare, Apple has no intention of increasing their MacOS market share as the mac is just an extension to their main iphone/ios product, and Linux users are in their own elite bubble building their own custom OS that fits their own particular wants/needs..."RTFM NOOB!!"

I was against and very skeptical of Apple choosing ARM/RISC as I believed this architecture is made to work on lower power and best used for cellphones or weak devices. I changed my mind when I learned a supercomputer uses RISC. That being said, I don't see why anyone in the modern day opting for Mac for power work, you can build your own PC and upgrade as needed cheaper and Windows is no longer gives BSoD and software on both systems are identical... that is unless they specifically use Final Cut Pro and would never use anything else.
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:That being said, I don't see why anyone in the modern day opting for Mac for power work, you can build your own PC and upgrade as needed cheaper and Windows is no longer gives BSoD and software on both systems are identical... that is unless they specifically use Final Cut Pro and would never use anything else.

If you were one of those Pros in the creative professional market, you'd know why so many use Macs.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

marurun wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:That being said, I don't see why anyone in the modern day opting for Mac for power work, you can build your own PC and upgrade as needed cheaper and Windows is no longer gives BSoD and software on both systems are identical... that is unless they specifically use Final Cut Pro and would never use anything else.

If you were one of those Pros in the creative professional market, you'd know why so many use Macs.

This doesn't help him understand why at all.
marurun

Post by marurun »

You're right, it doesn't, but I've found more often than not trying to justify the Mac just results in sniping over perceptions of "value". Someone has to come into a discussion like that with an open mind or there's no point. At some point you just have to trust that the pros know and understand their needs and that they know something other people don't.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

marurun wrote:You're right, it doesn't, but I've found more often than not trying to justify the Mac just results in sniping over perceptions of "value". Someone has to come into a discussion like that with an open mind or there's no point. At some point you just have to trust that the pros know and understand their needs and that they know something other people don't.

FWIW, it's not 100% accurate. I know plenty of creative professionals (who work for real creative outfits) who opt for Windows over Mac, and from what they say, though the majority still use Mac, the numbers are rapidly shifting, especially in leaner times. Ten, twenty years ago, Macs and creative teams went hand-in-hand, but now those who opt for it do so because of legacy reasons, whether a) it's what they're more used to, b) it's what their company is used to, or c) their professor used it and so they kept on doing so.
marurun

Post by marurun »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
marurun wrote:You're right, it doesn't, but I've found more often than not trying to justify the Mac just results in sniping over perceptions of "value". Someone has to come into a discussion like that with an open mind or there's no point. At some point you just have to trust that the pros know and understand their needs and that they know something other people don't.

FWIW, it's not 100% accurate. I know plenty of creative professionals (who work for real creative outfits) who opt for Windows over Mac, and from what they say, though the majority still use Mac, the numbers are rapidly shifting, especially in leaner times. Ten, twenty years ago, Macs and creative teams went hand-in-hand, but now those who opt for it do so because of legacy reasons, whether a) it's what they're more used to, b) it's what their company is used to, or c) their professor used it and so they kept on doing so.

I think you're reading an argument into my words that I didn't make. I never asserted pros are Mac-only. Pros have choices. Professional creative fields have a pretty great amount of choice. But the continued relevance of the Mac in professional circles is not some legacy anomaly. The Mac still has a lot of compelling value for creative professionals.

And you're demonstrating why I am sometimes hesitant to engage in these kinds of discussions in detail. Because you're trying to minimize the value of the Mac as a platform by explaining it as "habit" or "legacy" and thus robbing the platform of its inherent advantages.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I've asked many a digital arts professor why they prefer Macs. None of them have ever given me a technical reason. They usually say something like "Its an industry standard!" but if you ask them why, they can't come up with a reason.

Adobe published a white paper on this subject a while back. The TL;DR is that the OS makes no difference. The Adobe suite will run better on whichever machine has more/better resources.

It will be interesting to see if that changes when Apple starts using their ARM CPUs instead of Intel.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Apple makes some professional suite apps that only run on Macs, and run very well on Macs. Adobe stuff runs equally well on Macs and PCs, but Adobe isn't the only game in town, at least for some apps (but not Photoshop or InDesign). The Apple ecosystem that comes with Mac hardware also has advantages, and I know the OS is beloved by many simply due to the way it behaves and functions.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile