Time to vote for August Together Retro! Closed

Join in on our classic gaming club!

What do you want for August Together Retro?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:40 pm

Board & Card Games
10%
Wacky/Weird PS1 & PS2 Games
25%
Non-Violent Games
27%
Animal Main Characters
29%
Unrealistic Sports Games
8%

Total votes: 59

laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Time to vote for August Together Retro! Closed

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Winner: Animal Main Characters!

Hey guys! I’ll be your host for August’s Together Retro and it’s time to vote! It was pretty difficult for me to come up with some options that I was happy with, so hopefully you guys like something from this selection. I also made a small game with each category, as each title card is referencing a game that I might play if the category is chosen! Some of the references are a little obscure, but feel free to either take a shot or ignore it completely. I just wanted to draw some pretty pictures (with some mixed results but I tried haha). I might try and give hints while the poll is open, but keep in mind that I'm on vacation for most of the voting time, so it might be a little difficult to do so.

Anyway, as per usual there are 5 choices and 2 votes, and you can change your votes until the poll closes. You have until July 16th before I announce the winner, so get voting!

Board & Card Games
Basically any game that has a board or cards as part of the main game. This includes video games that are digital interpretations of physical games and games that are completely original. For this category I will also count RPGs (or really any other genre) that utilize a board or cards in their battle systems as long it’s within the main gameplay and not if it’s only part of a mini-game.

A few options: Pokemon Trading Card Game, Battle Chess, Culdcept, Fortune Street, Mario Party, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, Lost Kingdoms, and more!

Wacky & Weird PS1/PS2 Games
I don’t really mention it much, but I really like games that do something that’s a little wacky and I also really like my PS1 & PS2. So why not put them together? For this category, games that have just a wacky premise will of course count, but I will also count games that are a little more creepy weird (like Abe’s Odyssey). If a game was released on other platforms in addition to PS1 or PS2, feel free to play any version of the game that you would like. However, the games you play for this category must have been released for the PS1 or PS2 at some point.

A few other options: REZ, Katamari Damacy, Mister Mosquito, Destroy All Humans!, Disgaea, Twisted Metal, and many, many more!

Non-Violent Games
Let’s take a break from punching people and killing slimes with this category! Basically any game where you don’t physically harm anything counts. I will also count games where you could technically hurt something, but it’s heavily discouraged (such as the Harvest Moon games where you could hit your livestock). Keep in mind, that a non-violent game doesn’t necessarily mean it has to be slow-paced, as I will also count games such as The Firemen where you are saving people.

Some other options: Pilotwings, Endless Ocean, SimCity, PaRappa the Rapper, and more!

Also I actually made two banners for this category since I couldn't really decide which one I liked better haha. Here's the other one:

Games with Animal or Creature Main Characters
This one is fairly self-explanatory. Any games where you play as an animal or creature for a majority of the game will count for this category. Doesn’t matter if the animal is real or fantastical, just as long as they’re an animal or creature.

A few options: Crash Bandicoot, E.V.O.: Search for Eden, Donkey Kong, Super Monkey Ball, Okami and more!

Unrealistic Sports Games
I think sports games get a lot of flack sometimes. Sure there are plenty of examples of lazy sports games that are just copy/paste year after year or are a buggy mess, but there are some good ones! This category will give you the chance to look at some of those! I am not counting super realistic sports games just so the category is a little narrower, but I don’t necessarily mean that you have to play the most wacky sports games ever (even if that’s what I’m probably going to do haha). As long as it’s a sport game that isn’t trying to hyper realistic, then the game will count for this category.

A few options: The Mario Sports games, NBA Jam, Mutant League Hockey, Super Baseball 2020, Hot Shots Golf / Everybody's Golf, Snowboard Kids, and many more!

And those are the options! Hope that there's something there that will interest you guys :)
Last edited by laurenhiya21 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Time to vote for August Together Retro!

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Cool art!

I chose board games and animals, because I had two games immediately come to mind (Sugoro Quest and E.V.O.)...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Your art is wonderful! And great categories. Damn. I'm gonna have to think on it a bit. I think Animals will definitely be a pick because I've been wanting a reason to play Okami. But I actually feel like I'd be happy with any of these options!
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Wow, I'm amazed you went to the trouble of making a bunch of banners for this. That's dedication. I'm going to vote Wacky & Weird, and Non-violent, but I really like the idea of all of these options. I think we should just do one of each of them for the five months left in the year, and just debate what order to do them in.

If I had Chulip, I'd definitely play that for the wacky/weird category, too.
marurun

Post by marurun »

All the little birds have pouches! They have pouches! :D
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Dang... lots of great choices! I'm leaning towards Wacky/Weird PS1 & PS2 Games and Non-Violent Games for now, hmmm.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I stopped reading after the first entry. I cast my vote for Board and Card games.

It took me a bit of hunting but I have every Yugioh World Championship game from 2004 to 2011.

Also I didn’t literally stop reading after the first entry. Thats rude :lol:
I wanted to be dramatic.

Also also, nice art!
Ack

Post by Ack »

Nice, these are some cool choices. I'm going to have to mull it over, but they all are nice, valid, and interesting options.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Excellent OP Laurenhiya21, I think it's the best OP we've had this year. Some of the games from your adorable art; Dokapon Kingdom (awesome game btw), Chulip, The Dog Island, and Super Swing Golf or PangYa?

I like your categories a lot, lots of variety and unusual themes. My picks are "Wacky/Weird PS1 & PS2 Games" because it's enjoyable to play games outside well worn genres, and "Non-Violent Games" because yeah, more people need to play stuff that's not all about shooting, slashing, and punching stuff to death. (Anecdotally I just played through Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories on PS3, it was AMAZING.)

Great job!

Edit: It's PangYa not Panga. Derp.
Last edited by Exhuminator on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Thanks everybody! It was a lot of fun putting the banners together :) I'm also glad that my topics seem to be well received so far. I tried my best to make them interesting!

Exhuminator wrote:Some of the games from your adorable art; Dokapon Kingdom (awesome game btw), Chulip, The Dog Island, and Super Swing Golf or Panga?

Most of those are right! Unrealistic Sports is not Super Swing Golf or Pangya though. My hint for that one is that the game is a Genesis import title :)