MegaDrive portable in GBA Organizer case

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
bacteria
Next-Gen

MegaDrive portable in GBA Organizer case

Post by bacteria »

Hopefully, unlike the previous thread the photos will stay up longer (that's the problem when a site doesn't store images on its server, after a while images get lost, thread validity dies as a result - oh well, whatever!

Using the AT Games MegaDrive proved a waste of time; the board was small which was nice however the system did not like the EverdriveMD and ended up objecting to a simple cartridge relocation to work with what original cartridges it would work with.

The Genesis 3 works fine with the EverdriveMD and most original game cartridges (not all). The motherboard is 12cm x 12cm so quite small, however there was no way it could fit in a GameGear case so using a GBA Organizer case as per N64 project. The system is a lot thicker which means a number of benefits to the build and ruggedness of the unit.

It also means the project is quicker to build, which is a bonus after the 20-30 hours or so I spent on getting the other case prepared (which ended up being unusable due to the board thickness and size).

On positive notes, which is the way to look at things, the screen image with the Genesis 3 fills the 5" LCD screen quite nicely, image is clear too. The Genesis 3 motherboard fits nicely in the GBA Organizer case, not the smaller version of the Organizer but the larger one, so is ideal.

So far, gutted out the case back removing all the compartments, cut out the screen hole and also d-pad and working on the A, B and C buttons. Next of course will be start button, reset button, power port, on/off switch and low LED circuit light hole.

Progress should be fairly swift, especially as I have time off work next week so whilst will be out and about a lot, will also have more modding time on my hands. Might even, with a fair wind, get this completed by the end of next week; maybe.

Will upload photos in the next days, going to provide photos when the casework is completed (probably tomorrow or Sunday) and some as system develops in the next days.
I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

Re: MegaDrive portable in GBA Organizer case

Post by bacteria »

Cut all the holes in the case, and installed the screen - making good progress.

I am the Bacman
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Looking great Bac. I'm impressed. Please take lots of pictures to show your progress and keep us informed.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Thanks!

I will take photos, i'm working at good speed with this project now so should provide quick updates. Tomorrow will install the d-pad, A, B, C, start and reset buttons, power and on/off buttons; start the boards too.
I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

New photos. Front of case completed, need to install console, controller board and wire it up. That's it. 8)

Been busy today, spent a few hours on the work.

Sorry, had to take photos at an angle due to the flash of the camera, as took photos at night.
I am the Bacman
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Too cool. I'm not familiar with that controller board. I assume that is not from the Genesis controller, right? I know there's been numerous revisions to the genesis controller between 1989-1995 with many more regional variants. I certainly don't know them all. The circuitry on that controller board looks newer than anything I have seen inside a Genesis controller.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

In the photo the larger board is the screen board and the small one is the low LED circuit board. The Genesis 3 motherboard is not installed yet; that is 12cm x 12cm; the controller board can be reduced down to a small size, that will be included of course too.
I am the Bacman
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

Thanks for the clarification. I have seen a Genesis 3 motherboard (nice layout) and several Genesis controller boards. It's kind of amazing hot many different types of boards lurk inside Genesis controllers that look mostly identical from the outside.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Made great progress. All works, only need to add in a 12v step-up regulator for the battery charging circuit and also that too.

I am the Bacman
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

Too cool, bac. Thanks for the pictures. Looking awesome.