What's up with all the later Goldeneye games?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

What's up with all the later Goldeneye games?

Post by Xeogred »

Some strange morbid curiosity about these has popped up lately. What's the deal with the few Goldeneye games that came out after the 64 one? I remember hearing how these or one of them replaces Bronson with Daniel Craig which seems hilariously goofy.

GoldenEye: Rogue Agent, a video game released for the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and Nintendo GameCube in 2004, and for the Nintendo DS in 2005

GoldenEye 007 (2010 video game), a video game released for the Wii and Nintendo DS in 2010

GoldenEye 007: Reloaded, an HD remaster of the video game released a year earlier on Wii, coming out on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in 2011
Anayo
Next-Gen

Re: What's up with all the later Goldeneye games?

Post by Anayo »

I dunno, but I played the first level of the 2010 Wii one, ejected the disk, and sold it on eBay. It was like a wannabe Call of Duty for folks who ended up with a Wii instead of an XBOX 360 or PS3.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Xeogred wrote:GoldenEye: Rogue Agent, a video game released for the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and Nintendo GameCube in 2004, and for the Nintendo DS in 2005

I got this one for PS2 the Christmas it came out. I was a senior in high school. Back then, it was all about FPS for me. So that being said, it wasn't bad. I beat the single player portion of the game and then played it online for a while. The single player story is weird, it mashes together villains from a bunch of classic Bond flicks and uses the title "GoldenEye" purely for popularity of the name. Well, the playable character has an actual golden eye, or something like that. But yeah, the game was a total cash cow. I have no clue if it's worth playing today, I haven't played it since the mid 00's. It's not meant to be as serious as it is fun, that much I know.

Xeogred wrote:GoldenEye 007 (2010 video game), a video game released for the Wii and Nintendo DS in 2010

Good times... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26580

Very well made game. It's a remake of the movie/game Goldeneye, and uses the voice and likeness of Daniel Craig. The single player was pretty fun, and I had an absolute BLAST with the multiplayer. I haven't had that much fun with a FPS since the N64 Goldeneye.

Xeogred wrote:GoldenEye 007: Reloaded, an HD remaster of the video game released a year earlier on Wii, coming out on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in 2011

Same game as Wii. It was supposed to be a Wii exclusive, but I guess it got too popular and they decided to go multi platform. I think it adds some extra multiplayer maps, but I just stuck with the Wii version.
Last edited by Ziggy on Mon May 30, 2016 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Anayo wrote:I dunno, but I played the first level of the 2010 Wii one, ejected the disk, and sold it on eBay. It was like a wannabe Call of Duty for folks who ended up with a Wii instead of an XBOX 360 or PS3.

You missed out big time.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Thanks Ziggy. I'll look into the Wii version sometime then since I could thicken out my Wii library a bit. I checked out some videos and saw the Dam, even the layout looks very similar to the N64 original haha. Nice.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I beat GoldenEye 007 on the Wii and rated it a 7/10. My HLTB review:
This GoldenEye 007 remake is a decent FPS for the Wii. It's often graphically impressive from a technological standpoint, given the Wii's limited hardware, and the actual shooting controls are reasonably functional. However the moment to moment gameplay feels much closer to Call of Duty than James Bond, considering you have no exotic gadgets at your disposal, and many areas are full of waves of respawning generic baddies. Cutscenes and dialogue get really thin during the middle portion of the experience, making the plot feel shallow and inconsequential. Multiplayer is rather robust though, at least for local split-screen, and is pretty fun. There aren't a lot of good FPS games for Wii, and with such tiny competition reviewers often lauded GoldenEye 007 a bit too highly. However with its nice graphics, good controls, and a fairly well flowing campaign, this remake still earns its license to kill.

Really short game too, only took about three and a half hours to beat.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

License to Kill.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I played Goldeneye: Reloaded and enjoyed it quite a bit. They do a good job of giving the film a modern re-write with Craig in the role. Reloaded completely redoes the graphics from the Wii version but it's the same game other than that.

007 Legends where they try to do the same thing with other classic Bond films does far worse and is just a disjointed mess of a game.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Where the Wii Goldeneye really shined was the multiplayer. It had, IMO, the best multiplayer of any Wii FPS except for Conduit 2. The single player was fun (though paled in comparison to the N64 legend), but the multiplayer online was truly superb and allowed for Wiimote and Nunchuk, Classic Controller/Pro, or Gamecube controllers.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Yeah, GoldenEye on the Wii and Reloaded on PS3/360 is a really good game. I have Reloaded on the PS3 and haven't played the Wii original, but I've been led to believe it's just the same game, but with complete re-done graphics and a few new maps.

GoldenEye: Rogue Agent was GoldenEye in name only. It had nothing to do with the film or the original game.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328