Goldstar 3DO Disc tray not closing.

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
stick_fig5

Goldstar 3DO Disc tray not closing.

Post by stick_fig5 »

I just started getting into obscure retro consoles (have all the big names like SNES and 64) so I tried to educate myself as much as possible before I bought my first one.

I accidently won a bid on a Goldstar 3DO console by being the only bidder, I'm just now opening the box and the first thing I notice is that when it turns on the disc tray automatically opens up, so I close it, it opens right back up , so my firs thought is that maybe something has to be in it? threw a CD in there, closed it, opens back up, nope.

Maybe if I hold it closed? always a bad idea I know, do it anyways, it starts fighting me so i let off, opens again, next time I push a little harder and it finally stops trying to open "what have I done..." I thought, but luckily once I let off it opens back up and returns to its old shenanigans, so I hold it closed again and it does finally read the CD, relief, its not the lens reader.

my conclusion is something is keeping the tray from closing properly all the way so it thinks it has to open again to avoid crushing whatever it thinks is in the way.

So I started doing some research and found this website (was drawn in by the awesome 3DO 101 post) and was hoping this would be the best place to ask for help.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Goldstar 3DO Disc tray not closing.

Post by Exhuminator »

I've seen this behavior with PC disc trays and usually it's a limit switch problem. As in a limit switch isn't engaging in the drive mechanism. Basically a sensor that lets the 3DO know that the drive is indeed closed. Without that limit switch telling the 3DO as such, it defaults to keeping the tray ejected. If this is the case, your options are either to disassemble the disc mechanism to locate and replace the faulty limit switch, or to replace the entire disc drive completely.

If you don't want to bother with a disc drive, there is a USB modification you can do to 3DOs to avoid using discs entirely. I know it works for the Panasonic version, it might work for the Goldstar as well:

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/3do-usb-ad ... fz-10.html

You might be able to find that adapter cheaper somewhere else, so look around if you want to try it out.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

That mod is so awesome, dang the price though!
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
stick_fig5

Post by stick_fig5 »

Thanks for the help, probably gonna try the first thing, i wont to keep it original, honestly i bought it just to have but it would be nice if it works lol.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Exhuminator wrote:If you don't want to bother with a disc drive, there is a USB modification you can do to 3DOs to avoid using discs entirely. I know it works for the Panasonic version, it might work for the Goldstar as well:

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/3do-usb-ad ... fz-10.html

You might be able to find that adapter cheaper somewhere else, so look around if you want to try it out.

I think that is FZ-10 specific.
For the Goldstar, you would probably need to contact this guy:
http://3do-renovation.ru/How_to_buy.htm

I have a Goldstar unit coming myself, but have had no luck e-mailing for the USB unit so far :| .
Hopefully the system works, it was sold as-is and not fully tested, but does at least power up correctly.
Still banking on the USB option though; I'm patient and persistent... it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.
...just another lost soul...
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Yeah, the USB adapter is pricey, but not as pricey as buying a lot of 3DO games in comparison.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Okay, so technically, my Goldstar had to opposite problem: kept closing before I could secure the disc properly. It did load up games from the limited testing that I did, so hooray for that.
But I did away with the Damn drive altogether (but keeping it just in case).
I did finally get that usb drive. Works beautifully :D
Mostly just been trying a few games out. Oddly, I've spent the most time with games I can play elsewhere (Samurai Shodown and SSF2T, but very nice ports).
Neat system really, if a bit odd (hails from a very awkward time for game systems IMO).
Most excited about those weird AD&D games (Slayer and Deathkeep).
Also, I no longer regret not having Cannon Fodder for Jaguar...
...just another lost soul...