Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: NGPC Master List

Post by noiseredux »

Baseball Stars
Saurus Co./SNK, 1999
Sports, Rated E

An updated version of the black & white game of the same title for the original Neo Geo Pocket in Europe and Japan, Baseball Stars a rather simplified take on baseball. Consider it a more arcade-focused rendition, as a team will automatically win if they take a ten-point lead regardless of innings. While batting might feel similar to SNK's baseball games from the arcade, the fielding is far more reminiscent of any number of NES or other 8-bit baseball games. There are thirteen teams to choose from and making your way through the entire league will unlock other secret players and teams. Reviewers have been critical of the difficult AI in this one. And while there aren't any extra modes to choose from there is at least the option to play against a friend via the Neo Geo Pocket Link Cable.

King Of Fighters R-2
SNK/SNK
Fighting, 1999

Basically a demake of King Of The Fighters '98 using super deformed character sprites, King Of Fighters R-2 features a roster of eleven fighters spread out over four teams - plus the addition of Ioro and Leona. Like its arcade big brother you can choose to play team battles made up of teams of three or simply go one-on-one. Like other fighting games on the Neo Geo Pocket Color the intensity of your button presses will determine if you're doing high or low damage attacks. There are two difficulty modes along with hidden characters to fight. The Neo Geo Pocket Color Link Cable can be utilized for matches against friends, while the Neo Geo Pocket Color Dreamcast Link Cable can be used in conjuntion with King Of Fighters '99 Dream Match on the Dreamcast to unlock skill points in the NGPC game and bonus picture gallery items in the Dreamcast game.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I volunteer to edit because grammar.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ack, I hope you don't mind I updated the OP to reflect progress... we've still got 17 games left unclaimed:

2. Biomotor Unitron
4. Crush Roller Pocket
6. Dive Alert Becky's Version
7. Dive Alert Matt's Version
12. Last Blade
13. Magical Drop Pocket
16. Neo 21
17. Neo Cherry Master
18. Neo Dragon's Wild
19. Neo Geo Cup '98 Plus Color
20. Neo Mystery Bonus
21. Neo Turf Masters
24. Puyo Pop
26. Puzzle Link 2
27. Samurai Shodown II
28. Shanghai Mini
31. SNK Vs Capcom Match of the Millenium

EDIT: I signed myself up for Metal Slug 1st Mission
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: NGPC Master List - Writers Needed

Post by alienjesus »

I'd love to help more, but I've never played any of the others, sorry!
marurun

Post by marurun »

I'm still available for editing (though I probably won't have anything edited until this weekend, because CONFERENCE!)
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

noiseredux wrote:Ack, I hope you don't mind I updated the OP to reflect progress... we've still got 17 games left unclaimed:

2. Biomotor Unitron
4. Crush Roller Pocket
6. Dive Alert Becky's Version
7. Dive Alert Matt's Version
12. Last Blade
13. Magical Drop Pocket
16. Neo 21
17. Neo Cherry Master
18. Neo Dragon's Wild
19. Neo Geo Cup '98 Plus Color
20. Neo Mystery Bonus
21. Neo Turf Masters
24. Puyo Pop
26. Puzzle Link 2
27. Samurai Shodown II
28. Shanghai Mini
31. SNK Vs Capcom Match of the Millenium

EDIT: I signed myself up for Metal Slug 1st Mission

I can do pretty much any of these except the gambling games. None of which I've bothered to buy and Shanghai Mini, which I've yet to find or Puyo Pop which I own but which I don't have access to yet.

With the exception of SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Millenium, which I've played to death. I'd rather leave the other fighting games to someone more qualified in that field.

I will, however volunteer for Neo Geo Cup 98 and Crush Roller to begin with. If nobody else wants to contribute towards the others then I'll tackle them as a project.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Yeah! Betagam7 is the ngpc authority on this board. Go to it, son!
marurun

Post by marurun »

OK, so, after discussion with Ack, I will be doing editing on all submissions for this. I will post edited versions in this thread for comment unless I send something back for a rewrite. I'm pretty confident that will be a rare occasion, however. I haven't done any edits over the weekend, but I will have time during the upcoming week and over the Thanksgiving weekend, so expect a flurry of posts.

I should note that I don't just correct; I also do a small amount of rewording. Something only gets sent back if I can't fix it without a little rearranging. But nothing gets put up unless we both like it, so if you don't like my edits, tell me so and tell me why, and we'll get it sorted out.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
marurun

Post by marurun »

Here's my first batch of edits, all of stuff Noise wrote. Pretty good start (from him, meaning decent writing).

Bust-A-Move Pocket
Taito Corporation/SNK, 1999
Puzzle, Rated E

This Bubble Bobble spin-off, known as Puzzle Bobble Mini in Japan, is based on the 1995 arcade title Bust-A-Move 2. Gameplay involves shooting colored bubbles from the bottom of the screen to match and pop clusters of descending bubbles from the ceiling. The NGPC's limited color palette introduces some extra challenge as some colors can easily be confused for others. The main game features 99 levels that continually rise in difficulty. Players can save their fastest completion time for each level. Bonus modes include a survival mode as well as a campaign mode, in which you must compete against eight computer AI opponents.

Pac-Man
Namco Limited/SNK, 1999
Puzzle, Rated E

The classic 1980 arcade game of navigating mazes, eating pellets, and avoiding (or chasing) ghosts comes to the NGPC via Namco Limited. This iteration is not a straight port of the arcade game, however, with changes made to both the ghosts' AI as well as alterations to accommodate the hardware. Due to the limited screen real estate, players can choose to play in two different viewing modes: a full-screen mode in which the maze is presented on a single screen just like the arcade original, or a zoomed-in mode that provides better graphical detail at the expense of not seeing the entire maze on screen. The game also includes a ring that goes over the Neo Geo Pocket Color's joystick to restrict movement to four directions, providing a more accurate approximation of the arcade experience.

Baseball Stars
Saurus Co./SNK, 1999
Sports, Rated E

This rather simplified take on baseball is an updated version of the black & white game of the same title released in Europe and Japan for the original Neo Geo Pocket. It is a more arcade-focused rendition of the sport, as a team will automatically win if they take a ten-point lead regardless of innings. While batting might feel similar to SNK's baseball games from the arcade, the fielding is far more reminiscent of 8-bit baseball games like those on the NES. There are thirteen teams to choose from, and making your way through the entire league will unlock other secret players and teams. There aren't any extra modes to choose from, but you can play against a friend via the Neo Geo Pocket Link Cable. This could be helpful given that reviewers have been critical of the difficult AI.

King Of Fighters R-2
SNK/SNK
Fighting, 1999

Basically a remake of King Of The Fighters '98 using super-deformed character sprites, King Of Fighters R-2 features a roster of eleven fighters spread out over four teams, plus Iori and Leona. Like its arcade big brother, you can fight battles with a team of three or simply go one-on-one. As with other fighting games on the Neo Geo Pocket Color, the intensity of your button presses determines the damage of your attacks. There are two difficulty modes along with hidden characters to fight. The Neo Geo Pocket Color Link Cable can be utilized for matches against friends, and the Neo Geo Pocket Color Dreamcast Link Cable can be used in conjuntion with King Of Fighters '99 Dream Match on the Dreamcast to unlock skill points on the NGPC and bonus picture gallery items on the Dreamcast.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
marurun

Post by marurun »

Part 2! Also, folks, there are a ton (relatively) more games to do, so get hopping! I have the editing bug and I want to facilitate your awesomeness!

Fatal Fury: First Contact (I worry this one is a little too review-like. Might need a revision.)
SNK, 1999
Fighting, Rated E

Fatal Fury: First Contact is the portable iteration of the popular Neo Geo fighting series. The game features eleven playable characters, one of which is the character Lao, exclusive to this title and playable only in versus mode. The game is compatible with the Neo Geo Link Cable for head-to-head multiplayer. Precise controls and simple fighting mechanics create a very enjoyable fighting experience. The game does not have much of a story, however, and therefore looses some of it's charm when compared to the other fighters on the console.

Faselei
Sacnoth/SNK, 1999
Turn-based strategy RPG, Rated ?
Faselei is a turn based strategy RPG in which the player must command his mech through battlefields defeating opposing forces. Playing as Sho, part of an elite mercenary group, you must help a Middle Eastern rebel group overthrow their country’s corrupt dictator. Control of your mech is handled by queuing command chips, each of which adds an action to your turn. This can include rotating your facing, moving a square in any direction or using one of your weapons. The number of actions you can take in a turn and the variety of chips you can equip can be expanded as you progress through the game. Rather than alternating turns, enemy units will take their actions at the same time as yours, so predicting their movements is key. The game also features a 2-player versus mode.

Gals Fighters
Yumekobo/SNK, 2000
Fighting, Rated ?
SNK released many fighting games for its portable system, including entries in the Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown, Last Blade and King of Fighters series. Gals Fighters is a 2D fighting game which features a total of 11 (including 3 unlockable) female combatants from the aforementioned series. The game takes a lighthearted and comical tone, with the characters competing to win the ‘Queen of Fighters’ tournament run by the enigmatic Miss X. Like other fighters on the system, the game uses super-deformed character designs which are animated very fluidly. The game also features multiple speed settings and difficulty modes to adjust to your liking. In battle, characters have a wide variety of special moves, including super moves and special pretty burst moves with varied special effects depending on the character who uses them. Items can also be won and then equipped to change elements of battles.

Puzzle Link
Yumekobo/SNK, 1999
Puzzle, Rated E
Puzzle Link is a puzzle game where you must match groups of like colored blocks to make them disappear. You do this by shooting links up the screen which match the color of the block you are shooting at. These can be made unlimited in length, and when the link joins two matching colored blocks (or groups of blocks) they will disappear. The game features multiple play modes. In Normal mode you must race to match blocks before they reach the bottom of the screen. By matching the two C blocks which eventually appear you will complete the stage. Clear mode is a puzzle mode where you must successfully clear all blocks on screen in a limited number of matches. Finally, Battle mode allows 2 players to play head-to-head with a link cable. The game also includes collectible cards to unlock by beating levels under a set time limit.

Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure
SNK/Sega
Platformer, Rated E, 1999
This entry in the well-established Sonic franchise features 6 zones loosely based on stages from Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Whilst they share the same aesthetic, the music and level designs are totally unique. Sonic is the lone playable character, and has all of his abilities from Sonic 2, including the famous spin dash. Special stages can be accessed in order to gather all the chaos emeralds for the true ending. In addition to the main gameplay mode, the game has time trial options as well as advanced time trials in which you must finish with 50 or more rings. Within the levels are many hidden puzzle pieces which can be collected in order to build Sonic-themed jigsaw puzzles. The game also features a multiplayer versus mode where player 2 plays as Tails.

Metal Slug: 2nd Mission
Ukiyotei/SNK
Run & gun, rated E
The second handheld entry in the famous arcade run and gun series stars agents Red Eye and Gimlet as they attempt to stop the rebel army and their alien allies from conquering the land. Using a variety of popular Metal Slug weaponry such as the heavy machine gun, the shotgun, and the rocket launcher, you must battle your way through the game's 38 levels to save the day. Grenades are also available, and unlike Metal Slug: 1st Mission, they have been mapped to the Option button for quick use at any time. Unlike the arcade game, your character has a health bar and can sustain multiple hits before dying. Stages feature a branching path system, in which achieving or failing at certain tasks will cause you to go to a different level from the one you would otherwise. The game features several vehicle based stages in which you can pilot the titular Metal Slug or other vehicles such as submarines and planes. The game also includes a time trial mode with 4 stages and a rescue list wherein you can track which of the game's 100 hostages you have successfully saved.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile