Newbie help + are Turbografx systems really this expensive?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
pbiancardi

Newbie help + are Turbografx systems really this expensive?

Post by pbiancardi »

Hello all, just joined up because I am setting up my retro consoles and loving every minute of it. So far I have hooked up to an HDTV - Dreamcast (VGA), PS2 (Component), PS TV (HDMI), and PS4 (HDMI) and hooked up to a thrift store CRT - PS1 (Svideo), Saturn (Svideo), N64 (Svideo), Raspberry Pi2 (see below for question).

First off I have researched and I know the best method would be to get an old PVM / BVM monitor and get RGB hookups for everything, this is not the approach I am going to take, I am very happy with the way things look via Svideo.

My Raspberry Pi2 (setup as Recalbox) looks like crap on my CRT because all I can pull out of it is composite or HDMI, no Svideo. I am going to try and get an HDMI to Svideo scaler, anyone have experience with that and should it yield similar results to native PS1 Svideo connection for example?

Second question is about Turbografx, this is the system I always wanted as a kid so I would love to add to my collection now. From my reading I should be looking for a Turboduo or PC Engine Duo-R but I cannot seem to find one anywhere near reasonably priced? It looks to me like all ebay sellers slap these huge buy it now prices on them but they never sell? I have not been able to find one that was actually auctioned off to the highest bidder to see its actual value? Is there anywhere else I can find one of these? I find it hard to believe that I have to pay $400 - $1,000 for one, is that actually what they go for and are worth? I see so many with high price buy it now tags that never seem to sell that I am getting the impression that they are not worth near what people are asking. Any info on all of this is appreciated, thank you very much.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Newbie help + are Turbografx systems really this expensi

Post by dsheinem »

pbiancardi wrote:a Turboduo or PC Engine Duo-R...I find it hard to believe that I have to pay $400 - $1,000 for one.

$300-$400 is typical, $500+ isn't unheard of for something pristine, modded, with all original packaging, etc.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

1st, welcome to the forum!

2nd, the pricing above seems accurate. Just be patient and wait for the right Duo-R or DuoRX to go on sale. You will see them come up maybe once a twice a year here on the forum for around $300-350. Otherwise I even see some good options on ebay right now. For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-PC-Engine-T ... 25a4e51784. $289 shipped with everything you need.

3rd, if you get a TG-DuoR, also get a Turbo Everdrive: http://www.stoneagegamer.com/flash-cart ... 6-pcengine . CIB TG-16 and CD games have gotten expensive, instead give yourself the whole library with an everdrive (which I have and it always worth flawlessly), and burn games for the TG-CD. The everdrive is also nice because you won't have to buy the expensive arcade cards for the systems.

I hope that helps some!
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

pbiancardi wrote:First off I have researched and I know the best method would be to get an old PVM / BVM monitor and get RGB hookups for everything, this is not the approach I am going to take, I am very happy with the way things look via Svideo.

My Raspberry Pi2 (setup as Recalbox) looks like crap on my CRT because all I can pull out of it is composite or HDMI, no Svideo. I am going to try and get an HDMI to Svideo scaler, anyone have experience with that and should it yield similar results to native PS1 Svideo connection for example?

if you had seen the way any console looks via RGB through a PVM/BVM, you would not be very happy with the way things look via S-Video.

to answer your second question, any time you downgrade you're going to experience a drop in quality, so i wouldn't recommend going that route. does your CRT have component inputs?
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
marurun

Post by marurun »

If you have patience, you could get a Duo or briefcase setup for as little as $200. But you should probably allot $300 and try and wait for one with a region switch and replaced capacitors. Lay out a little more and you can get one with a replaced laser assembly. But you also need to know where to hang out. Watch the BST forums here, and join pcenginefx.com's forums. Also, over there, ignore the trolls.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

Speaking of the TG16/PC Engine and video quality,

When these go into production I'm pretty sure they'll be quite popular,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ1xWuK ... ploademail
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"