SNES Console Revision Differences. SHVC-CPU-01 vs 1CHIP-Mini

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
Firebrandx

Re: SNES Console Revision Differences. SHVC-CPU-01 vs 1CHIP-

Post by Firebrandx »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Firebrandx wrote:At any rate, my XRGB-mini arrived yesterday, and I was able to confirm that the original model SNES 1-CHIP-03 does not have csync hooked up. My serial number indicates I have one of the original production lines of the 1-CHIP-03, so this would mean likely all 1-CHIP-03 original SNES units do not have it hooked up either. Thankfully the mod to hook it up is a simple solder job of one little wire on the motherboard.

That's really weird. It's an NTSC SNES? It has RGB hooked up, but not sync? I wouldn't be able to confirm if this is the case with later revisions. My 1-Chip SNES is actually a PAL model that I hardwired to be NTSC. It wouldn't surprise me if PAL had sync hooked up but NTSC didn't.

To clarify:

I had read reports that NTSC 1-CHIP-03 consoles don't have CSYNC hooked up (you can still use RGB on it with 'sync-on-composite-video', but this is an inferior RGB method). So when I got my XRGB-mini, I was able to test mine and sure enough, CSYNC wasn't active. Rather than settle for using 'sync-on-composite-video', I opted to do the wire soldering mod job to hook up CSYNC on the motherboard. Well worth it. Also to further clarify, the 1-CHIP-01 and -02 do in fact have CSYNC active, so this mod is only required on the -03 revision.

As for PAL format, I have no experience with those, so I don't know what the status is on if CSYNC is supported and on what versions.
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

Firebrandx wrote:As for PAL format, I have no experience with those, so I don't know what the status is on if CSYNC is supported and on what versions.

None of the PAL consoles have composite sync available, as pin 3 of the multiout has 12V instead (it's used for SCART autoswitching).
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
Firebrandx

Post by Firebrandx »

ApolloBoy wrote:
Firebrandx wrote:As for PAL format, I have no experience with those, so I don't know what the status is on if CSYNC is supported and on what versions.

None of the PAL consoles have composite sync available, as pin 3 of the multiout has 12V instead (it's used for SCART autoswitching).

Well that sucks for PAL users. That means they would have to use a SYNC stripper in order to improve the picture quality. Either that or mod the console to support CSYNC if possible.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

If a monitor (or whatever device) can use composite as sync, then it's already stripping sync from it.
Firebrandx

Post by Firebrandx »

Ziggy587 wrote:If a monitor (or whatever device) can use composite as sync, then it's already stripping sync from it.

From what I understand though, the picture quality is inferior. Here's a very interesting an informative video on the subject of sync types:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAlrdCBjUAQ
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Firebrandx wrote:From what I understand though, the picture quality is inferior. Here's a very interesting an informative video on the subject of sync types:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAlrdCBjUAQ

Very informative video.

All they said about using composite as sync though is that it will sometimes add artifacts to the image. I always assumed that would happen because the input device isn't doing a good job. Case in point: People use sync strippers to clean up an image. If you can use a sync stripper to get a pure sync from composite video, and it results in you having a more clear picture, then that's proof for what I'm suggesting. If the input device stripped the sync well enough, you wouldn't need an additional sync stripper. (That is, of course, assuming that you don't NEED a sync stripper because the input device wont accept sync on composite.)

Not that I'm an authority on the matter. I never used sync on composite, and I never plan to. :D
Doom_Infinite

Post by Doom_Infinite »

Hello all, this is my first message here. :)

Been reading through the entire original thread and I notice a real lack of comparison between the non 1-chip models such as between the SHVC and the SNS non 1-chip revisions. Almost saw no reference to the SNS-CPU-RGB-xx series at all for example which I believe was the last revision prior to the 1-chip being rolled out.

I find the 1-chip Snes is quite overrated especially the Mini which appears to have become the go to system for many people. In my experience non 1-chip systems are more reliable but some of the non 1-chip do have interference although it is so light that under normal circumstances one wouldn't notice. This also isn't documented in the summary page (only referenced by Roadkill and maybe a few others). Maybe I'm wrong but I feel the argument was only about the SHVC original vs 1-chip, perhaps this could go further. :)
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

just to ask, regarding only the 1st model of the snes or super famicom, were there board revisions in say between its first release and before the model 2 was released? would a snes bought in 1994 may be internally different than one bought in 1990/1991 ? similar to how N64 seems have changed inside over the years
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

arcadifvid wrote:just to ask, regarding only the 1st model of the snes or super famicom, were there board revisions in say between its first release and before the model 2 was released? would a snes bought in 1994 may be internally different than one bought in 1990/1991 ?

Yes. The 1CHIP started with a later model 1, plus there's other revisions too.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

dogman91 wrote:
arcadifvid wrote:just to ask, regarding only the 1st model of the snes or super famicom, were there board revisions in say between its first release and before the model 2 was released? would a snes bought in 1994 may be internally different than one bought in 1990/1991 ?

Yes. The 1CHIP started with a later model 1, plus there's other revisions too.

thanks! is there a revision guide somewhere?

EDIT: found something online. looks ike i have to open the units though