Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
strangenova
Next-Gen

Re: Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

Post by strangenova »

Played some Betrayal at House on the Hill last night, had a blast. This game is like playing a horror comedy movie. The action takes place through cards and dice rolls, but picturing the scenarios and actions as they would play out on screen really had my group laughing.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I got a Jenga as a gift today, so i'm gonna be playing some Dread soon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dread_(role-playing_game)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

what's up w/ Heroclix? I've been kind of sort of interested for a while, but don't know much. What I do know, I like: it's turn-based; it has Marvel, DC, TMNT, etc stuff...

1. How viable is it to play scenarios solo?

2. Does Horrorclix stuff mingle with Heroclix stuff?

3. What else would you tell me?

Oh, and apparently there was a way to play online but that's gone.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The Wikipedia article actually answers some of those questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeroClix

My reading suggests that compatibility between lines (HeroClix vs HorrorClix, etc...) isn't reliable, mostly due to power ranges and special abilities. Some work OK, some don't. That said, all the various sub-categories should work fine. As in, anything in the HeroClix line should work OK with anything else in HeroClix.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Wiki... pedia?

Yeah, I read the Wiki article when I first got interested. Unless I missed it I didn't see any of my 3 questions answered there, though. Plus Wikipedia won't engage in conversation with me.
marurun

Post by marurun »

noiseredux wrote:Wiki... pedia?

Yeah, I read the Wiki article when I first got interested. Unless I missed it I didn't see any of my 3 questions answered there, though. Plus Wikipedia won't engage in conversation with me.

I misread your post and thought some of the bit before that was also question stuff. My bad.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

my wife and I played Time Barons tonight

which was co-created by Derek Yu (Spelunky). It was a lot of fun. Took us a little over an hour to learn the rule and play a game. It's a deck building strategy game and I totally recommend it.

I believe there's a version that you can print and play for free if you sign up for their mailing list.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Looks interesting, what's the goal? How many players?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

2 players. Goal is kill all your opponent's followers. Kind of a tugowar. Think Hearthstone. Good stuff.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

After an issue at work last week, my wife and I have started to play a boardgame atleast every other night. So for the last week we have been playing through the Civil War via Battlecry:
This is the battle of Pea Ridge, AK

If you remember back on Page 14 of this thread, I spoke highly of Memoir 44 with lots of pictures. Well Battlecry is Memoir for Civil War (though it is the first game). Its streamline and alot of fun. My wife went from not knowing how to play, to beating me two in a row over the course of a weekend.

Obviously the Trees, hills, and Monopoly pieces are not standard. Hills are white styrofoam cut with a hobby knife, painted dark grey, then dry brushed white, black, and light grey. I made them for Dday, but whatever. Trees are screws glued to pennys or washers, then coated with Spackle for a trunk, and have scouring pads cut into circles and wound down on the screws. Scouring pads are soaked in white glue then painted. They are not needed, but they make quick looks at the board easier for deciding tactics.

Once we are done with the Civil war, we are going to WW2. I still have not played the Pacific Front campaign.