Shmups That Time Forgot

2D Shooters Invade
DocHauser
128-bit

Re: Shmups That Time Forgot

Post by DocHauser »

mjmjr25 wrote:I'd argue that Mission Craft wasn't forgotten, it was quite popular in Asia, particularly Korea

Well, we all know how much Koreans love StarCraft. :)

(Also, I did say in the review that 'people may have heard of this one already', but I thought I'd revisit it anyway to see how it held up.)
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

mjmjr25 wrote:I would like to see some more UPL shmups reviewed

Bio Ship Paladin -- get to it! :)
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

STTF #21

S.R.D. Mission (Kyugo/Taito, 1986)

http://youtu.be/3BrGxZq5dK0

Not the most distinguished shmup in Taito's library; it's reasonably competent, but I don't think it'll wow anyone with its gameplay. Your ship is a bit on the slow side, while your hitbox is pretty large. On the other hand, there isn't usually too much happening on screen - at least in the early levels - to make it much of an issue.

The main reason I wanted to mention it was because of its scoring system. Now, you'll probably notice the little guys in blue jumpsuits, who are hostages that you need to rescue. There are also hostages in orange jumpsuits, who give you power-ups when you pick them up. You'll get a 1000 point bonus at the end of the level for every hostage rescued. So far so good. However, if you happen to accidently kill one of the hostages, a message appears on-screen, saying 'THOU SHALT NOT KILL', and your score resets to zero.

The first time this happened, I thought 'Blimey, that's a bit hardcore' and decided to test it out, just in case it was a mere points deduction, say 2000 or 5000 points. I cleared the first level, had a score of something like 23,000, then killed a hostage at the start of Stage 2. My score still went back to zero! Brutal stuff.

In the clip, I did it once after 22 seconds, due to being a bit trigger-happy and firing two missiles into the prison. Things get trickier in Stage 2, (e.g. around the 6 minute mark) where hostages and enemies are mixed together more frequently, making it harder to actually try and kill stuff. You often end up just avoiding everything and not taking any risks. The whole risk/reward mechanic is a vital element of shmup scoring, but this is one game where the rewards are fairly minimal and the penalties are enormous. Now, who wants to recommend it for Racketboy STGT 2013? :wink:
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

That's one whack game.

For RB-STGT I'd love an all SNK month

Prehistoric Isle
Blazing Star
Bermuda Triangle
and hell, Last Resort just so I could get better at it :lol:
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

Really? Bermuda Triangle? I suspect that wouldn't be a popular choice if people had to play it for STGT...
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

DocHauser wrote:Really? Bermuda Triangle? I suspect that wouldn't be a popular choice if people had to play it for STGT...

I played it one night, I thought it was all right, I think it's also available as a download in the Playstation Store -- maybe with my RB goggles on now I'll have to try it again

It was just a silly idea. We could have probably done PI 1 & 2
or even Alpha Mission II
Heck, if you want some pain, how about GHOST PILOTS :lol:

Back on-topic, are you gonna mention Sky Adventure in your series? ADK never make shmups that often, but they did here.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Noise talked me into buying Vanguard and Bermuda Triangle on PSN. Ughh. For an old game - Bermuda Triangle has lots going on - i'll give it that.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

mjmjr25 wrote:Noise talked me into buying Vanguard and Bermuda Triangle on PSN.

ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Hey now, Vanguard's all right. The 2600 port even moreso. The flyer even even moreso!

SNK had the old man/night sky thing all figured out WAYYYYYY before Phalanx! (sorry BSD)
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I always preferred the 2600 port to the arcade game as well. It's one of my nostalgic favorites. I remember actually being kind of disappointed the first time I played the arcade version.