NEW Guilty Gear Xrd

Brawlers and Beatemups
brunoafh
Next-Gen

NEW Guilty Gear Xrd

Post by brunoafh »

Announced at the Arc System Works Festival, celebrating their 25th anniversary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKGPhKu3jNg

The trailer is kind of underwhelming but yeah, new Guilty Gear!
bryan_65
Next-Gen

Re: NEW Guilty Gear Xrd

Post by bryan_65 »

Sweet, OK I love GG but still find it all confusing. Didn't GGXXAC Plus R just come out?
Any way I can't wait till my GGXXAC Naomi CF gets here!
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

bryan_65 wrote:Sweet, OK I love GG but still find it all confusing. Didn't GGXXAC Plus R just come out?

GGXXAC Plus R is just the billionth update to Guilty Gear XX.

Guilty Gear Xrd is a proper from-the-ground-up next gen sequel.

What blows my mind is that Guilty Gear Xrd is using cel-shaded 3D models, not sprites. But they've put so much effort into making the models actually look like hi res 2D (even in terms of animation) that honestly I'd never be able to tell if not for the camera effects on certain moves. I think it looks pretty neat!
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

It was hard to tell from my phone. They're going with the SFIV look? Not a fan of that style at all. Kinda looked like HD sprites even if they weren't. So I guess it's not too bad.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

ZenErik wrote:It was hard to tell from my phone. They're going with the SFIV look? Not a fan of that style at all. Kinda looked like HD sprites even if they weren't. So I guess it's not too bad.

No, they seriously look like HD sprites, right down to the way they're animated. Even at 1080p, I honestly couldn't tell it wasn't 2D until they suddenly did this dramatic camera pan. It looks really good, easily the most convincing cel shading I've ever seen.

EDIT:
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

AppleQueso wrote:
ZenErik wrote:It was hard to tell from my phone. They're going with the SFIV look? Not a fan of that style at all. Kinda looked like HD sprites even if they weren't. So I guess it's not too bad.

No, they seriously look like HD sprites, right down to the way they're animated. Even at 1080p, I honestly couldn't tell it wasn't 2D until they suddenly did this dramatic camera pan. It looks really good, easily the most convincing cel shading I've ever seen.

I know, at first I was like "Wow these sprites look kind of weird". I'm really curious to see what this entry brings (especially in terms of new characters), I'm really excited to see an actual new GG after so ridiculously long.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

Just watched it on my laptop. Looks incredible. Not worried about the lack of sprites now.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

WTF!? it runs on Unreal Technology :shock:

I wonder if this means it a straight to console production? If so, what a shame.

Don't like the way it looks tbh.

Oh, and Ky looks stupid with a pony tail :oops:
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

Thanks for the great news! Best news since .......
Arc CAN make a good fighting game with 3D models. Thyy proved that with Battle Fantasia
Some explanation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEG9bn8Mwhs
Can't wait! Wanna play it. Will buy. Thanks Arc.
I also want a Hokuto No Ken sequel plz
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

I wonder if this means it a straight to console production? If so, what a shame.

Done some more diggin' and it looks like the game is indeed headed for the arcade sector via Sega’s ALL.Net+ Multi game download network, which runs on the Ringedge 2 hardware. With said, it doesn't look good at the chance of it being released for the respective market outside Japan as arcade hardware that is supported via Digital Content hasn't caught on yet here in the US.

There still is a small sliver of hope though. Even though Blazeblue CSII was released digitally via Taito's own arcade digital dowload service, a few offline arcade boards were produced specifically for markets where NESICAxLive services isn't supported.

I'd imagine such a desicion would fall squarely on Sega though.