Should I just emulate?

Emu Talk Goes Here
Jamisonia
128-bit

Should I just emulate?

Post by Jamisonia »

I've been having a philosophical problem of sorts with my insistence on original hardware. I spend a lot of time and effort modding, and developing new mods to make old hardware relevant, i.e. adding s-video, YPbPr, digital audio where possible. Obviously emulating will automatically allow me pixel perfect video and bit perfect audio right out of the box.

My old argument used to be twofold, there was something special about playing the original games with original controllers. However, I violate my own beliefs when it comes to disc based games. I burn games for the CD systems that I don't own. I have ripped all of my Cube and Wii games to hard drives and play off of that. Secondly I know controller to USB adapters, or controller to GCN adapters have been made for virtually every retro controller.

Emulation seems easy. I can have every game on hard drives, easily accessible. I can play every game in pixel perfect video, with bit perfect audio, something that isn't possible on most original hardware. Expensive games like Earthbound, can be easily downloaded and played. Hacks and unreleased games such as StarFox 2 and Earthbound Zero can be played without having to sacrifice a donor cartridge.

So can you guys help with my dilemma. Are there reasons not to emulate?
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Re: Should I just emulate?

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

There's not really many good reasons not to. It's just personal preference. I've taken the route of not caring much about original hardware and emulate a lot of things now.

I don't see why you can't have both either. I still have a few systems under my bed with collections of games. If I feel like playing on the original hardware, it's easy enough to pull it out.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I have considered this as well. Right now, I have a very nice CRT, but if I ever lose it, I think I will go the emulation route for some of my older consoles. It is just too much effort to hook some of the older consoles up to a modern television, and having 10+ consoles under a television - in addition to VCRs, Blu-Ray players, etc. - creates entirely too much clutter. I think that I would be better off with an emulation box.

For comparison:

My current Configuration = XBOX + NES + SNES + N64 + Wii + SMS + GEN + SAT + DC + PS2 + VCR + Blu-Ray

My ideal set up = XBOX + N64 + Wii + SAT + DC + PS2 + Blu-Ray (using the Wii or Xbox to emulate 2600, Arcadia 2001, NES, SNES, SMS, GEN, and SCD)

That said, I have no plans to get rid of my old consoles or games. I do not see composite video going out anytime soon, and most older consoles either support - or are easily modified to support - that input. Since most televisions have a front or side input, I could easily use that if I ever wanted to break out an older console for a truly authentic experience.

Finally, I am not ashamed to admit that I enjoy collecting games just as much as playing them; so, I do not think that a streamlined set up would impair my enjoyment of the hobby.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Personally i think people who feel the need to add Upgraded Audio and Video mods to consoles are crazy, just play the game the way it was meant to be played off the retail shelf.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Hazerd wrote:Personally i think people who feel the need to add Upgraded Audio and Video mods to consoles are crazy, just play the game the way it was meant to be played off the retail shelf.

I don't feel the need to get the good stuff, but I can't stand RF. Anything but RF!
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Hazerd wrote:Personally i think people who feel the need to add Upgraded Audio and Video mods to consoles are crazy, just play the game the way it was meant to be played off the retail shelf.

I don't feel the need to get the good stuff, but I can't stand RF. Anything but RF!

No doubt :lol:

But i dont think there is a HUGE different between S-Video and Composite, even playing my Wii and going from 480i to 480p is minimal.

Found a comparison:

Pretty hard to notice imo.

When we were kids we didnt care how it looked on the TV :D
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Hazerd wrote:

I dunno. I pretty clearly remember asking why my Genesis always looked so fuzzy when my PS1 looked so clean and nice.

Of course, now I know it's because of tears.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Finally, I am not ashamed to admit that I enjoy collecting games just as much as playing them; so, I do not think that a streamlined set up would impair my enjoyment of the hobby.

this is my deal. Since I've gotten seriously into games, the collecting aspect has been just as big a part of the hobby for me as the playing games part. I don't care for emulation because I enjoy the hunt for a specific game and I find it far more rewarding to pop in a physical game that I've finally acquired after wanting it for some specific reason than to just fire up a ROM. It's definitely a personal preference thing though. I'm sure others can separate the two parts of the hobby just fine.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Hazerd wrote:

I dunno. I pretty clearly remember asking why my Genesis always looked so fuzzy when my PS1 looked so clean and nice.

That's a bit different. You didn't grow up with the Genesis. Hazerd is talking about people who grew up with the stuff. Obviously if you start with crystal clear HD and move down to even composite, you're going to notice a difference.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Hazerd wrote:

That's a bit different. You didn't grow up with the Genesis. Hazerd is talking about people who grew up with the stuff. Obviously if you start with crystal clear HD and move down to even composite, you're going to notice a difference.

But I did grow up with a Genesis and PS1!

I wouldn't call composite crystal clear HD. :wink: