Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Giga Wing)

2D Shooters Invade
Chempop
16-bit

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Giga Wing)

Post by Chempop »

Just got in my CPS2 board

Aww lucky! May be a stupid question, but is there essentially zero loading? I'm getting a little tired of how much the DC port has. If I can find one in the +$100 range, I may go for it down the road.

So I tried using the stranger and immediately topped my high score with almost no effort. My predictions were right, it's overpowered. Back to Ruby I go.

I'm in a strange situation with the game, part of me wants to play safe and go for the clear, but doing this my score suffers. I need to do better with building the multiplier in the first 3 stages in order to cash in on stages 4+5.
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

Tyranix95 wrote:Jez DH,

16 Ts.

What the hell?!

Stop playing with Photoshop and start playing the game. :P / :lol:

If you think that's a high score, the world record is 294 TRILLION. Something to aim for. :)
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Chempop wrote:
Just got in my CPS2 board

Aww lucky! May be a stupid question, but is there essentially zero loading? I'm getting a little tired of how much the DC port has. If I can find one in the +$100 range, I may go for it down the road.

So I tried using the stranger and immediately topped my high score with almost no effort. My predictions were right, it's overpowered. Back to Ruby I go.

I'm in a strange situation with the game, part of me wants to play safe and go for the clear, but doing this my score suffers. I need to do better with building the multiplier in the first 3 stages in order to cash in on stages 4+5.

No loading, music is considerably more crisp. Controls feel crisper too, maybe it's the scanlines, maybe the agetec's just aren't as good as I always thought they were.

Fox1 was selling them for $120 shipped during his last group buy. Tops and Fujita carry them for like 89,000 yen, so $120 shipped seems to be the lowest possible price unless someone is really motivated.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

Chempop wrote:May be a stupid question, but is there essentially zero loading? I'm getting a little tired of how much the DC port has. If I can find one in the +$100 range, I may go for it down the road.

No optical drive = much faster loading. Seems you can get through the cut-scenes quicker too.

I got a really good deal on mine, 100 for the B board. Definitely worth it.

mjmjr25 wrote: maybe the agetec's just aren't as good as I always thought they were.

I highly recommend a sanwa mod on those sticks. It does take a little bit of dremmel work, but I've done 2 or 3 in the past with nice results.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

Thought I'd have a quick go on Gigawing 2 to see how my practice on the first game would help me improve with the sequel (haven't really played it much before). The scoring is even more crazy...I made it to the Stage 4 boss and had a score of 120 trillion! :)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

DocHauser wrote:Thought I'd have a quick go on Gigawing 2 to see how my practice on the first game would help me improve with the sequel (haven't really played it much before). The scoring is even more crazy...I made it to the Stage 4 boss and had a score of 120 trillion! :)

Gigawing 2>>>>>>>>>Gigawing in so many ways. For one, it has what might be the best soundtrack in all shmup history! :shock:
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

dsheinem wrote:Gigawing 2>>>>>>>>>Gigawing in so many ways. For one, it has what might be the best soundtrack in all shmup history! :shock:

Hmm, not sure I agree with that. I think both games are great, and the essential gameplay mechanics are basically the same, so I wouldn't really say one of them is far superior to the other. The sequel has a bit more variety with the different ships and stuff, plus the reflect laser option, and the crazy 4 player mode, too. The score system hasn't really changed, though, which is the important part.

Might give Gigawing Generations another go too. It doesn't get mentioned much, but it's pretty cool as well.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

DocHauser wrote:Gigawing Generations

The PS2 port has a 30fps frame rate, and it just looked awful and choppy. I couldn't even stand to play it really, which is a shame, because I like the first two games a lot. I've never had the pleasure of seeing it on the real hardware, hopefully that's not as bad as the port.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

Ah, I've played the Taito Type X version of GWG on my laptop, which runs fine. Only problem is that it's Portrait orientation only, so I have to stand my laptop on its side. :)
ChrisHaha2049
24-bit

Post by ChrisHaha2049 »

Slowly, but surely...
ChrisH2049 - 9,333,115,755,850 - Stage 5 - Isha - DC