Official Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Breetai
Next-Gen

Re: Official Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announc

Post by Breetai »

I wonder if this will play AES carts (I'd be mega shocked). How does this work at a docking station? Does the handheld plug into what looks like the cart slot? Does this use regular controller connectors, so I can plug in any compatible Neo Geo joystick (like my NGCD controllers, other AES controllers, supergun controllers, etc.)?

If it does all of the above and had composite, component and HDMI out, $200 is one hell of a deal. I would definitely buy one. If it doesn't function as a regular AES, I'm not touching it.
Lokkenjawnz
128-bit

Post by Lokkenjawnz »

D.D.D. wrote:
marurun wrote:I'm still not convinced it will be emulation. I need more information.

Obviously info is what we all don't have now but, do you really think they're gonna put in the chips from the Neo to make it run 100% accurate? Emulation is just cheaper hence their margin will be better and emulation is "good enough".

I think his nomenclature confused you a bit: he's wondering if it might be an NOAC style setup, only for Neo Geo, perhaps an NGOAC as it were. Which is actually still emulation, it's just dedicated hardware emulation, rather than software emulation. I think costwise, an NGOAC may be cheaper, given that there's less software to develop that way, but I'm really not sure. I know for the first Atari Flashback they actually used an NOAC, and shoehorned Atari code so it'd play some 2600 games, and it was pretty disastrous.

Hopefully, whatever tech this ends up using, it emulates well at least.
My Want List!

Consoles: Sega Master System, NES Toploader, Genesis/32X, Sega CDX, SNES, 3DO FZ-1, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PS2, Nintendo Gamecube, Xbox Halo Edition, Wii, PS3
Handhelds: Atari Lynx, Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket Color, GBC (Atomic Purple, Pokemon Edition), GBA (Pink OG, Silver SP, Spongebob SP+), DS (Phat, iXL), 3DS, PSP (1000, Go)
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

Lokkenjawnz wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:
marurun wrote:I'm still not convinced it will be emulation. I need more information.

Obviously info is what we all don't have now but, do you really think they're gonna put in the chips from the Neo to make it run 100% accurate? Emulation is just cheaper hence their margin will be better and emulation is "good enough".

I think his nomenclature confused you a bit: he's wondering if it might be an NOAC style setup, only for Neo Geo, perhaps an NGOAC as it were. Which is actually still emulation, it's just dedicated hardware emulation, rather than software emulation. I think costwise, an NGOAC may be cheaper, given that there's less software to develop that way, but I'm really not sure. I know for the first Atari Flashback they actually used an NOAC, and shoehorned Atari code so it'd play some 2600 games, and it was pretty disastrous.

Hopefully, whatever tech this ends up using, it emulates well at least.

Ahhhh NGOAC... Yeah that coulda been what he meant. I getcha. It could be okay. IIRC, the NG is just a 68000 and one other main 8bit chip but I'm sure there's a bit more guts in there.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
scarper
128-bit

Post by scarper »

Whelp. I've been proven wrong. There is a god.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

It looks cool but the price seems a bit high. I already have an AES and MVS arcade cabinet already so I will likely pass on it.
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
marurun

Post by marurun »

D.D.D. wrote:

I think it depends. Chinese mfgs have been making "clone" chips for a couple decades now. Look how many Genesis/SNES/NES systems with cloned chips exist. The problem is that those cloned chipsets are usually imperfect. As this is a licensed product it would be easy to get schematics and design a single-chip solution that does all the Neo did. I don't know if they're going to go that route, but I know it is possible. The only complex aspect of the Neo Geo was the audio engine. It was a little messy. The graphics engine was simply as pie, just fast and beefy and simple as pie. The CPU cores, the MC68k and the Z80 are well-understood CPUs that are easy to clone, and neither of them were custom like the NES CPU.

Either way, until I know whether this is just an ARM system running an emulator or a clone chipset attempting to replicate the original hardware I will have to reserve judgment.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I was thinking about the cartridge slot on that thing and wondering; it would actually make sense if it could play cartridges. I think it would be a hopeful long shot, but that would certainly help justify the cost.

But on the main site, there's a close-up of the cartridge slot, implying that it's more than just decoration. I initially assumed that the handheld might awkwardly go in the slot while it's charging or playing on a TV. But it would make a lot more sense if it could be connected by a cable because then you could play two-player right out of the box - one person using the handheld, the other the joystick.

Man, I'm just really curious to learn more about this thing!
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

D.D.D. wrote:

Also, Blaze is known for its emulation boxes.
Purkeynator
64-bit

Post by Purkeynator »

It won't play carts. Read the description again. It says

"System within a system"

Play on your HDTV by combining the NEOGEO X Handheld with the NEOGEO X Station or take the NEOGEO X Handheld wherever you go!

This is a docking station for the handheld device so you plug the handheld into the cartridge slot. Look at the bottom of the handheld. It looks nothing like the bottom of a Neo Geo cart. If it played carts then they would prominently announce it as a feature. I still think its damn cool and even more so if they announce multigame carts via the "expandable game card slot".
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Purkeynator wrote:It won't play carts. Read the description again...

I'm not reading the description again. I don't want to have my heart broken...

It will play carts...
it will...
it will...

Oh screw it, it won't. I'm not buying this.