Let's have a western animation thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
AppleQueso

Let's have a western animation thread

Post by AppleQueso »

Since there's already a large thread about anime going on, I figure it'd be nice to have a thread for everything else.

What shows/movies do you like? Been watching anything good lately? Have any recommendations?

I bought The Powerpuff Girls 10th anniversary DVD set fairly recently (which is an awesome set, it has EVERYTHING except for the movie, including the original 'Whoopass Girls' short and What-A-Cartoon episodes, not to mention tons of extras) and have been going through it sporadically over the past few weeks. I think what surprised me most is that I've actually enjoyed the show even more going back through it as a 21 year old than I did when I first saw it as an 8-10 year old.

I'm sure General_Norris will have plenty to post at least, hopefully this gets some kind of discussion going.
MrPopo

Re: Let's have a western animation thread

Post by MrPopo »

I snagged the Samurai Jack DVDs a while ago and they're a ton of fun. It's great how he understands when dialog needs to be used and when it's unnecessary.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

MrPopo wrote:I snagged the Samurai Jack DVDs a while ago and they're a ton of fun. It's great how he understands when dialog needs to be used and when it's unnecessary.

Samurai Jack ended too soon... :(
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Well, the first trailer for the new Tintin movie is out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvO5X9dFRY0

Seems to be very faithful to the spirit of the source material. I'm actually surprised 2 non Europeans respected this license so much. It seems good. Can't wait to see it :D
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life are pretty much the only old cartoons I can think of that I would watch at anytime and still be able to enjoy them as an adult just as much as I did as a kid.

I do appreciate 60s-70s the Hanna Barbera stuff that used to get replays on Cartoon Network though, like Johnny Quest, Speed Buggy, Hong Kong Fooey, Atom Ant, Secret Squirrel, Scooby, Penelope Pitstop, etc. I can't see myself sitting down and watching them for extended periods of time now though.

I like a lot of the Adult Swim shows, Venture Bros and Superjail in particular. I loved the callback shows that used to play, like Sealab 2021, Space Ghost, Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law. Those were great. I also quite liked Xavier Renegade Angel and 12 oz Mouse. Those shows were fucking out there, was anyone into them?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

When I re-watched Ren and Stimpy I think I was more confused than anything. Show was WAY weirder than I remember.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

AppleQueso wrote:When I re-watched Ren and Stimpy I think I was more confused than anything. Show was WAY weirder than I remember.

Which season did you watch? I didn't remember many of the later stuff, but everything I watched as a kid and rewatched as an adult I remembered fondly and still found insanely awesome. (Note the insanely part. :P)
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:When I re-watched Ren and Stimpy I think I was more confused than anything. Show was WAY weirder than I remember.

Which season did you watch? I didn't remember many of the later stuff, but everything I watched as a kid and rewatched as an adult I remembered fondly and still found insanely awesome. (Note the insanely part. :P)

First one.

Honestly though my memories of the show as a kid are really fuzzy.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

I watched a lot of Beavis and Butthead in the first couple years of high school.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

I haven't watched Ren & Stimpy much. Guess I should because it's well animated but the poop jokes are kind of a turn off. I watched a clip where Stimpy goes mad and pees on an electric fence, it was really, really good.

Concerning Tintin, I have mixed feelings about it. I find motion capture pretty boring, and Spielberg, as great as he is, is not an animator. On the other hand, the source material is good and Spielberg makes very solid movies. He has a couple of duds but they are still not bad bad.

This thread remidns me that I have two essays about two animated shorts and I'm still too lazy to type them. Argh.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/