Connection help

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Connection help

Post by fastbilly1 »

Alright I am planning out something kinda funky but havent figured out one crucial part. So I am just going to explain what I am looking for, if someone has a better idea then lay it on me.

Right now I am looking for 24 pin female Molex connectors. If I cannot get one standalone, I need other ideas on how to do this - however I will say I will not be using Cat5 and RJ45.

The plan is to get a trash arcade cabinet, fix it up and setup the controls with either a capcom six button or a shump three button layout. The controls would all be wired into the female molex. Then I plan on having project boxes with different hacked controllers with male molex connectors ready and willing, ie Saturn, Dreamcast, SNES. With that the cabinet could play damn near anything - granted a good new pc could do it all aswell but I already have the pieces for this, except: the SNES to Gamecube adaptor, the molexi, and the cab.

So thoughts on where to find one or two of those connectors, or on the thing as a whole? I did a quick search at work but couldnt find anything useful.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

I would suggest not using molex connectors. They are designed more for electricity and lack any shielding or weaving.

For a cost effective way I'd suggest yanking 9 pin D-sub jacks out of old PCs or picking them up in bulk off the internet and using those. The wiring is shielded more and better suited for data transfer (that or simple I/O signals like a game controller). That and coming across them are easier.

If you need more pins then 9, grab 15 pin D-sub cables (like VGA cables use) which again are more effective, cheaper (if you look for the right place), and easier to find.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

You know I didnt even think about the shielding issue, I just thought they would look really cool. But twin 15 pin D-sub cables per should workout quite well. Thanks lordofduct.