Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by RCBH928 »

Limewater wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:I do not understand people on youtube who claim that shooting their videos on iphone is "low quality" . Its in 1080P thats clearer than DVDs , I also never saw a video on youtube and thought "This looks bad, must be shot on iPhone." I can't tell the difference. Even Apple has competitions on videos called "shot on iPhone" to show how good the camera is.

There's a lot more to picture quality than resolution and frames per second.

The biggest things you're missing shooting on an iPhone these days (for normal stuff) are related to light. An iPhone has a tiny lens, tiny aperture, and tiny sensor. It's great for what it is. In a lot of ways, it's a lot easier and cheaper to manufacture a really high quality tiny lens over a really high quality larger lens.

Having larger lenses, larger apertures, and larger sensors gives you the opportunity for a lot more detail, a lot truer color representation, the ability to shoot in varying light levels, in-image dynamic range, better control of focus, aperture size, exposure time, frame-rate. It also gives you the possibility to shoot uncompressed video or stills, which gives you more and better options for post-production work.

But 99% of YouTube videos don't need those things.

Although I do not understand it, I do agree, I am sure the next Marvel movie won't be shot on an iphone! This conversation made look up a video on the topic and to my surprise the iphone nearly always looked better. The only thing I noticed with DSLR is that it has more natural/closer to reality colors I guess.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

marurun wrote:I meant a standard sized PC keyboard. Even though I have a certain fondness for physical keyboards on phones I don’t really believe those are the answer.

While no keyboard on a cell phone will ever be a replacement for a full sized keyboard, a physical keyboard is still a zillion times better than a touch screen one.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

It seems like the housing market in Canada is even worse than the US. Never thought I'd see the day. Hamilton (a city no foreign person has heard of) is basically like New Jersey. People live there because they can't afford the big city (Toronto in this case). It has half a million people. The housing there is now more expensive than in LA and NYC. What the hell is going on?
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Personally I believe the price of real estate is what people are willing to pay for, it is what it is , supply and demand.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

The economic factors at play are a lot more complex than simple supply and demand. Foreign citizens are buying up large amounts of land (especially the Chinese in Canada) and using those houses as rental properties, or they're just sitting on them. Corporations are also beginning to purchase more homes to turn into rentals. These factors, along with inflation are hurting potential home buyers that are middle class and below significantly because as more houses are bought and turned into rentals, the market shrinks, prices rise and they're forced into not owning a home as they won't get signed off on loans. Banks will deny a family a $1500 mortgage and then they have to turn around and pay that for an apartment instead.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

yes but as people continue to sit on the properties paying taxes on them and corporations buying houses and not finding someone to rent to eventually they will lose money and then prices have to dip again, if people continue to pay the asking price then it is the market price. You can't expect the owner to sell for lower when people are willing to pay more.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

No, they aren't going to lose money on them like that.
The market price is set at the level it is because of the factors I mentioned. The people buying up all those rental properties are making it difficult for people to find homes in many areas in the first place, and the ones that are available have ballooned in price to 2-4x the original level. This means that only the wealthy can afford homes. Slowly, more and more people will be forced to rent houses instead of owning them and that's not a good thing, as it increases economic inequality. If it continues on long enough you'll basically be forced to pay rent to a corporation endlessly instead of ever being able to own your home outright.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Rent is insane around here. Almost cheaper to just buy if you can get past the bidding wars. Well people wanted higher wages, this is part of the outcome. my opinion anyway.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Rent and housing were already going up. Remember the housing bubble of a few years ago? Well, it only popped so much.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

marurun wrote:Rent and housing were already going up. Remember the housing bubble of a few years ago? Well, it only popped so much.

Are you talking about 2008? Yes, I'm I work around construction and it about wrecked my job so I remember that well. Property values were never that high. My house has doubled in value in about 2 years, I figured that was a case of too much building, not enough buying. I could be wrong though, as usual lol.