The Wrestling Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

stickem wrote:
Raging Justice wrote:So this actually happened, and I loved it. DMD revealed her new "sensei". I swear, AEW has more pop culture savvy than WWE in my opinion

He was here last night for their show and must have snorted a few lines before from what friends that attended said. Didn't have a clue where he was at and just randomly shoutng and shit, looked all fucked up. Enjoying his 15 minutes I guess lol.

Typical Kreese!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

So Cody & Brandy really gone?

... or a work? I unfortunately haven't had time to watch AEW but my feeds were blowing up.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Jagosaurus wrote:So Cody & Brandy really gone?

... or a work? I unfortunately haven't had time to watch AEW but my feeds were blowing up.

Everything is pointing that they are both gone. Both of them and AEW released statements indicating that they have moved on.
The rumor is that Cody is heading back to WWE. In fact, he was spotted down in Florida over the weekend, so that might be coming soon.

It is utterly shocking because Cody is a founding member of AEW. Vince loves the idea of having a founding member on his roster and throwing it at AEW's faces. I have no idea why Cody would want to go back unless its for the Money. WWE really only pushes about 5 or 6 wrestlers, really only Roman, Brock and Charlotte, so I don't see the point. In WWE, once the brass decide where you are on the Card, that is where you will stay for the rest of your career. You may move up once after years of service, but that is about it. After Wrestlemania, Cody could be back in the Mid-Card or wearing the Stardust gimmick once again. He may also want to move onto Hollywood or something else.

Cody always felt like an outsider compared to the Young Bucks and Omega, mostly because he came from WWE and the others didn't. Cody never really felt Indy enough. But, apparently, Cody wanted to be paid and treated like a top star. He wanted more creative control and wanted to run things a la Triple H. Tony Khan didn't want to pay him the big bucks and had booted him out of the creative department. I think the relationship slowly fell apart between Cody, Tony, the Bucks and Omega. With AEW's burgeoning roster, I don't think loosing Cody is a bad thing as there are plenty of people able to take his spot.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I am not following anything but knowing what I know about WWE they gave Cody a huge paycheck that Cody gladly accepted to take a huge jab in AEW's authority. Kind of like "Your founder is just a wrestler in our roster" kind of thing.

I do not know where he is in the wrestling stardom, but Cody was not much of a draw or a likeable character so the affect on the ratings should be about zero unless there is something I do not know.

I just learned that Britt Baker is actually a doctor. A doctor and a profesional wrestler champion? I am shocked and impressed at the same time. Isn't she like the only wrestler doctor in wrestling history? In a women vs men in wrestling sports to prove themselves here is something women did that men did not... I think... Although I must say that the DMD name has been done before by Isaac Yankem DDS . I am not saying she is copying just saying its been done before.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Interesting takes on Cody. I'm pretty far removed. I think of him as the face of AEW.

Isn't Brit really a dentist, DDS?

I thought Luchasaurus had a PhD. Must've been working on it. Wiki says Masters. One educated giant dude :lol:
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

RCBH928 wrote:I do not know where he is in the wrestling stardom, but Cody was not much of a draw or a likeable character so the affect on the ratings should be about zero unless there is something I do not know.

I just learned that Britt Baker is actually a doctor. A doctor and a profesional wrestler champion? I am shocked and impressed at the same time. Isn't she like the only wrestler doctor in wrestling history? In a women vs men in wrestling sports to prove themselves here is something women did that men did not... I think... Although I must say that the DMD name has been done before by Isaac Yankem DDS . I am not saying she is copying just saying its been done before.

Jagosaurus wrote:Interesting takes on Cody. I'm pretty far removed. I think of him as the face of AEW.

That is the interesting thing about Cody. At the beginning, he was the face of AEW. He kind of took center stage and was the guy that got all of these other guys to get together and try something new. He had the Rhodes name as well, so it kind of felt like a modern revival of WCW/NWA because of his dad. The thing is, he isn't that much of a draw and I fully believe his return will do nothing for the ratings. He could have good story matches, like with his brother, but he never had the acclaim of other wrestlers. And new wrestlers like CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Darby Allin, MJF and others began taking his spot. I feel like Cody is a better businessman and behind the scenes guy compared to a wrestler...

And yes, her name Dr. Britt Baker, DMD. She is a fully licensed dentist and has an office in Florida. Her dentistry paid for her wrestling career. There are behind the scenes videos of her at the office. In fact, during the height of the Pandemic, they did a match in her office where she and another wrestler beat each other up.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I think Adam Page was always meant to be the real face of AEW, though the roster is so stacked with stars now that there's a lot of guys who could fill that role. Cody leaving, while shocking...and frankly embarrassing (for him), will likely have no effect on AEW whatsoever. Oh, and Brandy is gone too...like anyone cares. She literally never did anything good whenever she was onscreen in any capacity.

It's fascinating that after getting booed by the majority of the fanbase...Cody just leaves. I know the story is that he wanted more money, but it feels like the fans won a victory. Something they never got in WWE when they used to boo the heck out of John Cena or Roman Reigns.

We're living in a strange reality now where Triple H is in the doghouse in WWE and having everything he built destroyed, Shane McMahon has apparently been removed from all future WWE plans, and Cody Rhodes just left a company he helped to build. Weird. Really...fucking...weird

Britt Baker has come a long way. She was a mediocre wrestler at first, and very injury prone. It seemed like the dentist thing was getting in the way of her reaching her full potential, but now she's solid in the ring, and her mic work is the best on the entire women's roster. Attaching her to Adam Cole and The Elite was a logical thing that I had wanted the company to do for a long time. I think her time as champ is up though, as it seems they have set up Thunder Rosa to take that belt at the next pay per view. Thunder Rosa is a great talent and is over with the fans, but man, Britt tore her a new one on the mic on Rampage last night. Damn. When Britt starts talking, she really over shadows every one. The only person who has stood toe to toe with her is Ruby Soho, and supposedly that is only because Tony Kahn helped her with her promo.

AEW has a great roster, but it may be reaching its limit. They have so many people to focus on now. It honestly feels like the company may need another belt or two just to give people something to do. I mean take a moment to consider, that two of the biggest baby faces in WWE's recent years are in AEW now (Punk and Bryan), the best member of WWE's The Shield is there (Moxley) the most over guy in Lucha Underground (Pentagon) is there. Two of the biggest stars from NXT are there (Adam Cole and Keith Lee), a former Ring of Honor champion is there (Jay Lethal), Jeff Hardy is on the way there, we've got Bullet Club, The Undisputed Era, AND The Elite all represented in the company now, and that's not even getting into all of the homegrown stars they have. Damn, that roster is STACKED...and we're still seeing new faces debut.

Oh, and on a random note, I was disappointed that they brought back Pentagon's Lucha Underground persona a.k.a. Pentagon Dark a.k.a. Penta "Oscuro" and we didn't get to see him breaking anyone's arms. That was his trademark in Lucha Underground, eventually landing him into a fantastic story line where a protege of Rey Mysterio and a Japanese Triad lead by a combination of the bride and O-Ren Ishii from Kill Bill both sought revenge against him. If you're giving me Penta Dark, I wanna see the "Breaker of Bones" again damnit.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Cody leaving AEW is, probably, both great for Cody and (to the WWE’s likely dismay) great for AEW too. Cody left WWE as Stardust, and he was languishing in AEW. With the money the WWE’s likely paying him now, however, he’ll be at the top of the card, and his name’s back in the news. That’s great for Cody.

It also demonstrates, to a certain extent, that the WWE is afraid of AEW and that talent unhappy with the WWE can jump ship with a chance of coming back for more money. This will make it easier for AEW to lure talent, and it positions AEW as the WWE’s first real competitor since WCW. That’s good for AEW.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

A star filled roster is a suicide technique to kill an orgnization.. I learned this from WCW in the mid 90s. They had so many stars they did not know to focus on who, not only that but they over shadowed up and coming talent that eventually left to the competitor and created the reason that killed WCW eventually , talent like Stunning Steve Austin, Jericho, Mysterio, and Eddie Guerrero. I do not blame Bischoff, who would put Stunning Steve Austin and Jericho over Macho Man, Sting, Hogan, and Flair? World Wide known names. Its just something that life teaches you...

As for the AEW it has a lot of expired wrestlers like Billy Gunn, Dustin Rhodes, and for all I care Matt hardy who's prime was probably mid-2000s (The guy is near 50!). Others are not much of a draw like Kazarian , Christopher Daniels, and Jay Lethal.

Raging Justice wrote:We're living in a strange reality now where Triple H is in the doghouse in WWE and having everything he built destroyed, Shane McMahon has apparently been removed from all future WWE plans, and Cody Rhodes just left a company he helped to build. Weird. Really...fucking...weird.

Not really, There was worse. I think by late 80's early 90s all the other wrestling feds were closed down by the WWF competition and left the WWF as the sole master of Pro-Wrestling. Prior to that each region had its own wrestling federation. WCW survived that. Then by late 90's 2 of the most popular wrestling organizations, ECW and WCW, went bankrupt and got shutdown. So thats much more than Cody going to WWE.

Why is Triple H in the doghouse? I have natural hate for this guy, but I thought he was given all authority due to him being the son-in-law of Vince . Also why is Shane put away, he is the only child of Vince. Who is running the show then? Someone seems upset about AEW to make all these changes
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

RCBH928 wrote:A star filled roster is a suicide technique to kill an orgnization.. I learned this from WCW in the mid 90s. They had so many stars they did not know to focus on who, not only that but they over shadowed up and coming talent that eventually left to the competitor and created the reason that killed WCW eventually , talent like Stunning Steve Austin, Jericho, Mysterio, and Eddie Guerrero. I do not blame Bischoff, who would put Stunning Steve Austin and Jericho over Macho Man, Sting, Hogan, and Flair? World Wide known names. Its just something that life teaches you...

I wouldn't compare WCW to AEW in regards to their roster. Like, at all.

In WCW, the old guys (Flair, Hogan, Hall, Nash) all had contracts that gave them creative control and they outright refused to work with younger talent. So for years, WCW had the same guys in the main event scene and would never put over the younger talent. So, stars like Benoit, Jericho and Mysterio were stuck in the mid-card. Eventually, they all left to go to WWE and become much bigger names.

The old guys of AEW (Jericho, Punk, Danielson, Sting, Hardy) LOVE working with the new guys. In fact, that is why most of them are there. They WANT to work with the younger and hungrier talent. They all know that there spot is fading and that they will be retiring soon. They want to raise the start power of the younger stars so they can leave the place better than it was before. They don't want it to become WCW where it is all burnt to the ground over the Finger Poke of Doom.

RCBH928 wrote:Why is Triple H in the doghouse? I have natural hate for this guy, but I thought he was given all authority due to him being the son-in-law of Vince . Also why is Shane put away, he is the only child of Vince. Who is running the show then? Someone seems upset about AEW to make all these changes

Triple H had complete control over NXT. That was his baby and he built it from the ground up. It was completely outside the WWE spectrum to the point that I don't even think Vince knew what it was about it. So, when a wrestler would get called up to the main roster, it was a foreign object and he wouldn't know what to do with it. Hence why most of them flopped because the wrestler had a history the fans loved and were turned into something else, which the fans didn't like.

When AEW came onto the scene, NXT was put on television to kill off AEW. That is the only reason NXT was put on television. Well, they went against each other for like 90 Weeks and NXT won once. NXT was forced to move to a new night because of sagging ratings and they lost the war. Triple H had a severe heart condition/attack months ago and Vince took over. Everything that Triple H had created in NXT is gone. All the people Triple H hired are gone and it is completely run by Vince and his cronies. It will make an easier transition for stars going to the main roster. But, Triple H lost the war and has been in the Doghouse since.

Shane is like Prince Charles with no patience. Shane wants to run WWE. He wants to run a wrestling company. He wanted to buy UFC and run it. Finally, he left WWE for quite a while and then came back to be a performer for his kids to see. Now, he wants to run things again and its just not happening. Vince will not give up control until he is dead. Everybody knows that. Vince doesn't want to hand it off to Shane. I think he would prefer to hand it over to Stephanie. Unlike other McMahons, Shane has been reported to be a nice guy and people love working for him. Stephanie is much like Vince and people are terrified of her, so I think Vince wants to give it to Stephanie. So, Shane is no longer working for the WWE again. I think Shane has too much loyalty to Vince to ever work for another wrestling company, but I think he will leave WWE and working for a different type of company in the near future.