What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by Limewater »

REPO Man wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:13 pm And made worse by the fact that the minimum wage hasn't kept pace with inflation. We haven't had an increase at the federal level since 2009, when it was raised to $7.25, which adjusted for inflation is the equivalent to $10.55. So that means that $7.25/hr today is worth LESS than it was in 2009.

Also, I double checked and apparently if one were to work in NYC for 60 hours a week between multiple jobs, that'd be worth 720 a week after taxes.

Can anyone in NYC verify if this makes sense?
I can't speak for where you are, but very few jobs where I am appear to be minimum wage. Every "help wanted" fast food posting I've seen (not that I'm looking) is to start at $12 minimum. In most of the country, entry-level, low-barrier wages have gone up substantially. This may not apply to agriculture or under-the-table jobs. I can't speak for those.

It looks like the minimum wage in NYC is $16/hr. $720 after taxes is probably about right for a 60-hour work week with no overtime.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Still, $720 a week after taxes year-round sounds better than what I make where I live. But then again, the best I can hope for is getting my hours cut in the fall and winter and not getting outright laid off.

And 720 a week is roughly $2800 a month and if realistically half my salary went to rent, would that be doable? Granted I've found places on Roomi for $800 or less.
Ack

Post by Ack »

If you managed to only spend $1400 on rent in NYC, that would leave you $1400 for all other expenses: utilities/bills, groceries, entertainment, transportation, etc.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

And what makes you think you can land two or three jobs that guarantee the hours you need in order to hit those hourly numbers?

Also, what makes you think you can even land those jobs when you have a million (literally) other people looking for those jobs? This doesn’t even include the migrants that are coming here expecting there to be work and they either can’t work due to the slow process to get papers, or can’t find a job in general because retail jobs are cut hours because their sales are up with less people on the floor.

You’re making the assumption that you’re guaranteed those hours and that money every week. That’s a massive issue bro. You’ll be homeless within a matter of weeks and that adds to the pressure we already have here.

I’ll continue this train a bit because I know your whole NYC deal is a trap for the rest of us: outside of retail, don’t have any other experience? Office work? Data entry? Front desk at service places? If you’re just sticking with retail, you’ll be in for a shitty time.

The only way you’re guaranteed those hours and that money is if you land a full time job. And that isn’t a guarantee because we are an at-will state.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Gucci! Haven't seen you in a while. As you can see, the forum may look a little different, but everything's the same.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Also, cars are a lot more reliable now than they were a couple decades ago. Yes, I am serious and I mean that. They're hella expensive to repair (for some parts), but by and large they just operate. My latest car is almost 9 years old and it's still fantastically operational.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Golgo 14 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:16 pm Gucci! Haven't seen you in a while. As you can see, the forum may look a little different, but everything's the same.
I’ve been floating around as a lurker but I come back and participate as my interests in gaming ebbs and flows. Recently, it was me dusting off my 3DS because of the official shutdown of the shop and online services.

Decided to hack it and been having a ball! Easily took 20 minutes. Set up a spare 2DS the same way for my nephew and he’s having a blast. He’s discovering everything for the first time. Miss that feeling :lol:
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Gucci wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:50 pm And what makes you think you can land two or three jobs that guarantee the hours you need in order to hit those hourly numbers?

Also, what makes you think you can even land those jobs when you have a million (literally) other people looking for those jobs? This doesn’t even include the migrants that are coming here expecting there to be work and they either can’t work due to the slow process to get papers, or can’t find a job in general because retail jobs are cut hours because their sales are up with less people on the floor.

You’re making the assumption that you’re guaranteed those hours and that money every week. That’s a massive issue bro. You’ll be homeless within a matter of weeks and that adds to the pressure we already have here.

I’ll continue this train a bit because I know your whole NYC deal is a trap for the rest of us: outside of retail, don’t have any other experience? Office work? Data entry? Front desk at service places? If you’re just sticking with retail, you’ll be in for a shitty time.

The only way you’re guaranteed those hours and that money is if you land a full time job. And that isn’t a guarantee because we are an at-will state.
First off, welcome back. In case you missed it, the site crapped out and had to be rebuilt.

Secondly, my job experience also includes custodial duties (from my Walt Disney World days), dishwashing, ice cream serving (at Cups and Cones, where I also made the waffle cones) and I used to work at Duck Donuts, though sadly I never got to get any experience as a cashier or making coffee drinks. But outside of what I gleamed from job experience I have a knack for organization and I'm damn good in the kitchen.

I do recognize that I need some experience in data entry and similar clerical tasks. But if I had such experience could I work from home if I don't live in NYC and transfer to in-person work when I move to the city.

As for front desk work, I have at-best decent social skills.

Plus in NYC I'd have more opportunities outside of mostly-seasonal work that's almost exclusively in the tourism industry. I could also spend what little time outside of work either doing volunteer work, both because I'm a good person and because I'd be able to expand my social circle. I'd also be able to hone my craft as a filmmaker, something that just isn't possible in my town unless I just want to shoot one-person short films in my house, a la Fred Figglehorn.

Plus for me there's fuck-all to do outside of work and home. For me, going to do laundry at a nearby motel is my "going out".
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

marurun wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:18 pm Also, cars are a lot more reliable now than they were a couple decades ago. Yes, I am serious and I mean that. They're hella expensive to repair (for some parts), but by and large they just operate. My latest car is almost 9 years old and it's still fantastically operational.
My mom can't drive anymore, so I'm driving her 2008 Lexus. She didn't put many miles on it and it's trouble-free despite being 15 years old. I plan to drive it for another ten years easy.
Gucci wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:59 pm Recently, it was me dusting off my 3DS because of the official shutdown of the shop and online services.

Decided to hack it and been having a ball! Easily took 20 minutes.
I've been meaning to hack my 3DS, mostly for the recently released Virtual Boy emulator.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

If you do hack it, you have my support! It’s real easy. I think it really did take 20 minutes to get it all done.

That isn’t the point at all REPO. All those jobs you held over the years are all minimum wage, unskilled jobs. The amount of competition for those jobs is astronomical. There is absolutely no way in hell that you can rope up enough hours between two or three jobs that will cover your expenses here.

The thing that I will never get: you have an absolute beautiful metropolitan area right in your own state with costs of living lower and opportunities to thrive much higher than NYC. People are leaving to go to places like Charlotte, not the other way around.

I just don’t get it. You watch “Cash Jordan” on YouTube and wonder how the fuck NYC hasn’t descended into anarchy.

Edit: in re-reading what your wrote, you still think that we are in 2012. Tourism industry? I’d love to know where you get your information from