Assault Suit series appreciation

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Re: Assault Suit series appreciation

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Well I resolved my pre-order issues mentioned in the post above and my physical disc came in yesterday. Here's an archived video of my stream from earlier tonight: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ghhfVi9PcE
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Ah, so it's finally out? Is it worth the price?
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

I'm biased as the Assult Suit series is one of my favorites from the 16/32 bit era.

If you want to look at its worth by the amount of content...

There are basically two games here, Classic mode (accessed through the options) and the main game. Core gameplay is the same between the two, but Classic mode is a bit more furious and lacks the voice acting, dynamic camera zooming, and longer cutscenes found in the standard mode. Some stages layouts are completely different in each mode. In some cases, objectives have changed completely. Even the soundtracks are different.

Visiting the options menu after playing either mode and accumulating a score will grant you levels which can unlock new options. And there are a lot of them. I will be working at this for awhile.

The gameplay is a well blended version of the earlier Assault Suit games with a touch of Dracue’s own Gunhound EX. The stages feel like a mix of the original Leynos and Valken. Dashing feels like Gunhound EX. Jumping and general movement feels like Leynos 2. If we were to consider the game as a legitimate entry into the series, it would probably be the easiest, just a touch easier than Valken. The Leynos has a smallish hit box and there are a few ways to cheese bosses with one of the first weapons. Enemies aren’t smart enough to deal with your Leynos 2-like mobility.

The visual assets are a mixed bag. At times, it looks like the game was put together with unused assets from a few different games. However, everything looks pretty good in motion. It has a polish that puts it a step above Gunhound EX.

And then there’s price. Leynos PS4 is priced lower than a standard Japanese release. The yen is weak against the U.S. dollar right now, working further in your favor if you are importing. You can buy the physical disc version from Play-Asia for $49.99 USD right now. It cost around $13 to have it shipped FedEx Eco. Combined, that’s less than what I would pay for a new title + tax if I walked into GameStop right now. The digital version is similarly priced after currency conversion, no shipping required of course. Though, considering this is a 2D side-scrolling doujin-like game, I doubt anyone in the west would pay more than $20 for it.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Thanks for the write up. Unless I'm looking in the wrong places, there seems to be little information out there on the game, so that was appreciated.

Admittedly, I went and ordered the game yesterday from Play-Asia as soon as I posted that question, so I'll look forward to playing it. I always loved the first and second Assault Suit Leynos games (Target Earth on the Genesis and Leynos 2 on the Saturn) and I haven't played any of the others, so I can't wait to play this on the PS4.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Yeah, it is kind of strange that it is so difficult to find information about the game. The marketing campaign has been pretty low key. I think there were a few demo stations at model kit shows and maybe even a doujin convention appearance, but that's it. Dracue has an active twitter account and there was a single post announcing the release. Some of the more notable mecha blogs like Mecha Damashii seem to write off the game earlier this year after the first demo.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. If anything, it will probably be rare. You were able to order a copy almost a week after release and I can't imaging the physical print ran more than a few thousand units. If Leynos doesn't get an international release, this is going to be one to toss in the safe.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

wip3outguy7 wrote:If anything, it will probably be rare. You were able to order a copy almost a week after release and I can't imaging the physical print ran more than a few thousand units. If Leynos doesn't get an international release, this is going to be one to toss in the safe.

Thanks, that's nice to know. I'll toss it in the safe next to my copy of Retro City Rampage. Once I've finished it, of course ;)

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I'm still out of luck unless they release it for PC.

Alas, my once complete Assault Suit collection is now incomplete. :lol: (I guess it already was technically since I never bought the Valken remake).
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

I would be really surprised if this doesn't get a release on PC. I assume it's very port-able, PS4 architecture and all that. Gunhound EX was a PSP title before its release on PC, right?
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

wip3outguy7 wrote:I would be really surprised if this doesn't get a release on PC. I assume it's very port-able, PS4 architecture and all that. Gunhound EX was a PSP title before its release on PC, right?

Gunhound was a PC doujin game originally then the enhanced version Gunhound EX was released on PSP first and then back on PC. There weren't a whole lot of changes, if I remember correctly I think the major addition was the final boss fight.

I've got my fingers crossed anyway.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I'm gonna be hanging back waiting for a Steam release as well. Sad thing is, this (a 26 year old game)is the first title that made the PS4 get my attention again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|