Assault Suit series appreciation

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Assault Suit Leynos 2 appreciation

Post by Gunstar Green »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PyoijgijT4

Apparently the same team responsible for Gunhound is working on a remake of the original Leynos for PS4.

The video is obviously of early WIP material but it's pretty exciting. I hope it gets released on other platforms. There's supposed to be a Kickstarter for it soon.

Official site: http://leynos.dracue.co.jp/
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Gunstar Green wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PyoijgijT4

Apparently the same team responsible for Gunhound is working on a remake of the original Leynos for PS4.

The video is obviously of early WIP material but it's pretty exciting. I hope it gets released on other platforms. There's supposed to be a Kickstarter for it soon.

I've seen that trailer. Though it looks a bit rough, their previous work gives me hope.

MrPopo wrote:I saw that. Went with the cheaper Steam option because I don't have the massive hard-on for DRM free versions that other people have. Plus, Steam keeps things updated for me; GOG is about the only place I regularly go to that isn't Steam because they have that massive back catalog of old games and are fairly good about letting you know about updates when you visit the page (and the downloader also will let you know).

The Playism version was also 33% off. Sale must be ending. Get it at that price while you can people.

Edit: And it's over...
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Playism was not 33% off. Or if it was, I didn't notice because of terrible UI design on their site.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

It was initially. Looks like it ended around the time when Gunstar referred you. Steam sale ended shortly after.

Not only is their UI horrible but the blog was down the whole week before, preventing anyone from reading the Gunhound announcement.

Oh well, good on them for translating and releasing it to the West.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

wip3outguy7 wrote:It was initially. Looks like it ended around the time when Gunstar referred you. Steam sale ended shortly after.

Not only is their UI horrible but the blog was down the whole week before, preventing anyone from reading the Gunhound announcement.

Oh well, good on them for translating and releasing it to the West.

I got it at the last second then. It was 33% off on Playism off when I got it.

I wish there were more levels, but even without them it's a good waste of an hour. I picked up Gigantic Army on Steam as well which isn't quite as polished.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I saw this a while ago on Sega-16 and, while I think it looks interesting, I don't think I'm getting it unless it comes to Steam.

MrPopo wrote:I saw that. Went with the cheaper Steam option because I don't have the massive hard-on for DRM free versions that other people have.

Same here. I appreciate Humble Bundle (usually) having DRM-free versions of the games they offer, but I just use Steam. Going DRM-free kinda feels like taking a step backwards.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

GSZX1337 wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I saw that. Went with the cheaper Steam option because I don't have the massive hard-on for DRM free versions that other people have.

Same here. I appreciate Humble Bundle (usually) having DRM-free versions of the games they offer, but I just use Steam. Going DRM-free kinda feels like taking a step backwards.

i'm glad i'm not alone in this sentiment. digital hoarding is a disturbing trend.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Original_Name
Next-Gen

Re: Assault Suit series appreciation

Post by Original_Name »

Interesting timing for this thread to get dug back up, I just posted this in the "Saturn Translation Project" thread:

Hey everyone, I promised this months ago, but life as well as issues with the forum timing me out got in the way. I've transcribed the scrolling text from the intro movie for easy reference if and when we get around to translating Assault Suit Leynos 2. From here I'll start doing the same for menu text, mission briefing text, dialog text, and the ending text.

A.D.2120

人口増加による
食糧難が深刻化

植民地間で
テラフォーム紛争勃発

コロニーサイド、
移住計画案 自紙撤回

A.D.2121

コロニー[RIF] 独立宣言

A.D.2122

各地で領土問題による
紛争が多発

各国の崩壊、分裂進む

A.D.2123

ゼネス連邦首相暗殺

サンラール、ゼネス連邦、
全面戦争へ突入

A.D.2124

そして現在……

------------

For a quick and dirty run-down, in 2120 population growth lead to mass food shortages. Among the colonies, a dispute over "Terraform" broke out. On the colony side, their immigration papers start to be revoked. In 2121, the [RIF] Colony drafted their declaration of independence. In 2122, resultant territorial disputes caused conflicts everywhere, causing the nation to collapse and divisions to deepen. In 2123, the prime minister of the "Zenesu" (I believe this is meant to translate to "Zenith") Federation is assassinated. The Zenith and "Sanraaru" (trying to figure out loan word this is meant to be) Federations rush to all out-war. 2124: "And now..."

This is extremely rough, and it's a bit tricky due to the grammatical sparsity and lack of contextual clues -- I'll work on it and try to get opinions from people (including those of you on the boards who are better at Japanese than I), and turn it into something solid as I go along. The opening cutscene would be extremely easy to edit into English given that all the CG video is exclusively on the left side of the screen, and all of the scrolling text is on the right side on a black background. All we would need to do this effectively is take the video file, edit a black bar on the right side of the screen, and insert our own English scrolling text over it. Of course, I could imagine that even extracting the video could be difficult knowing how Saturn programming can be.

Anyway, I'll try to keep at it over the next couple of weeks and at least get the translation portion started, even if my Japanese skills are only serviceable. It's just about initiative.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

man why PS4? it looks like it would be absolutely perfect for the 3DS, I love 2.5D games on the 3DS
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Assault Suit series appreciation

Post by Gunstar Green »

Original_Name wrote:Translation stuff...

Awesome, this is one of the top games I personally want to see translated. Thank you!

ninjainspandex wrote:man why PS4? it looks like it would be absolutely perfect for the 3DS, I love 2.5D games on the 3DS

I'm hoping if the Kickstarter ever shows up there will be the opportunity to see it on other platforms, at least PC or something.