What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Re: What are you playing?

Post by RobertAugustdeMeijer »

How much did you like Finding Teddy 2? It's long been on my 'if I have nothing better to play' list!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

RobertAugustdeMeijer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:25 am How much did you like Finding Teddy 2? It's long been on my 'if I have nothing better to play' list!

I’m enjoying it. It’s a very chill metroidvania. Aesthetically, it’s reminiscent of Fez, with a mostly muted color palette, a quiet soundtrack, and a general sense of mystery, sadness, and decay. Like Fez, it’s also full of cryptic puzzles, which are usually solved by closely observing the environment and then entering a tone-based code on your “musicon” (i.e., an in game device used to communicate with the game’s residents). Still, it’s a metroidvania, through-and-through, with a large interconnected world, mobility upgrades, collectibles, and combat. The explorations is similar to Wonder Boy in Monster World (or Shantae for people who only play modern games…). That is, the game world is divided into four large areas with a hub. Each area has a self-contained dungeon, which is where you find mobility upgrades, boss battles, the game’s equivalent of heart containers, and the four McGuffins you must collect to confront the final boss. As you obtain mobility upgrades and abilities, you can return to some of the previously visited worlds to access collectibles and upgrades, but you never have to revisit the dungeons since everything in them can be collected in one trip. Combat is like Zelda II, in that you strike with a sword, block with a shield, and can even execute upward or downward strikes while jumping.

I beat the first game a few years ago, and I enjoyed it too. (It’s a music-centric point-and-click adventure game similar to Loom.). This year, I’m playing through sequels to games I enjoyed, and I’m enjoying this game despite how much it differs from its predecessor.
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

"I'll just play a couple of stages of Golden Axe 3" I told myself. Golden Axe 3 has been on my to-beat list for a while. I usually play as the cat man or the other grizzly looking guy. I chose the lady character this morning.

I made it to the last stage.

Well from now on I'm going to play as her and actually try to beat it next time. I don't know if y'all have played Golden Axe 3 but you have to jump-attack if you want to survive. It's... kind of a mediocre game but the later stages are cool. The game likes to throw a gauntlet of enemies at you every five steps. So that's fun.

I'll pay more attention next play through and try to conserve my continues.
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Post by RobertAugustdeMeijer »

Sekiro, just beat Genichiro (guy on top of the castle). Really enjoying the open-endedness of encounters!
Also playing Radiant Silvergun, which I think it even harder!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I need to run! I’m playing Ghostrunner 2 and Runner 3. The former is totally awesome and builds on its predecessor. The latter is fine, but kind of a let down after the sublime Runner 2.
Ack

Post by Ack »

RobertAugustdeMeijer wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:55 am Sekiro, just beat Genichiro (guy on top of the castle). Really enjoying the open-endedness of encounters!
Also playing Radiant Silvergun, which I think it even harder!
I remember that fight. I had a lot of fun with Sekiro, and that battle in particular was a fun one. Just don't go jumping in the castle moat just yet. I doubt you can handle what's down there.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

opa wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:30 pm "I'll just play a couple of stages of Golden Axe 3" I told myself. Golden Axe 3 has been on my to-beat list for a while. I usually play as the cat man or the other grizzly looking guy. I chose the lady character this morning.

I made it to the last stage.

Well from now on I'm going to play as her and actually try to beat it next time. I don't know if y'all have played Golden Axe 3 but you have to jump-attack if you want to survive. It's... kind of a mediocre game but the later stages are cool. The game likes to throw a gauntlet of enemies at you every five steps. So that's fun.

I'll pay more attention next play through and try to conserve my continues.

I finally beat Golden Axe 3 via emulation last year, using the cat man. I think that was the first time I tried as that character. The jump kick and the running attack were definitely needed to get through the game. I think I also used the back attack a bit too. I think Golden Axe 3 has a poorer reputation but actually I really enjoyed it. One of the few JP games I'd like to pick up a physical cart of.