Tales of Xillia (and other "Tales of" games)

Level up here
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Tales of Xillia (and other "Tales of" games)

Post by ZeroAX »

MrPopo wrote:Neither has an overworld. I personally like the combat system in Xillia better than Graces, so I'd recommend that one. Xillia also has two viewpoint characters, and there are a few points where the party splits up between the two characters, so you'll need to play it twice (or read online stuff) to get the whole story.

No overworld? :(. Does Tales of Symphonia 2 have one like the first game did?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I don't think Symphonia 2 had an overworld...
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Wow they REALLY don't want me to play their games.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I do find the no overworld thing to be annoying, but I do think Dawn of the New World is superior to the original Tales of Symphonia.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

ZeroAX wrote:Wow they REALLY don't want me to play their games.

I think the last Tales games to have an overworld were Vesperia and Innocence. You might pick up Bravely Default instead if you want to get your old school JRPG fix.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

MrPopo wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:Wow they REALLY don't want me to play their games.

I think the last Tales games to have an overworld were Vesperia and Innocence. You might pick up Bravely Default instead if you want to get your old school JRPG fix.

I'm afraid BD might be too old school. My favorite JRPGs are the FF6-9 style games.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Bumples from another topic:

I'd like to hear more about Xilia and Zestiria. Both sound very different battle system wise from the glimpse of Zestiria that I've seen, so I'd like to hear how they compare to the old games with the gameplay?

I've expressed in the past that I have a fondness for the series but a knack for never finishing them which bugs me...
Tales of Phantasia
Tales of Destiny (encounter rate was insane)
Tales of Symphonia (probably the furthest I got in one)
Tales of Graces F

It finally hit me a few months ago, I think the reason I stopped with Graces F was because of the mechanics outside of the battle system. The micro management for the cooking system was... tedious and horrible. Half the game was doing this crap. I know cooking is a thing in all of them, but it was such a cluster in this game and required for so much. I remember the leveling system being a bit of a chore too, even if you could set it to auto and specify perimeters for the other characters, it was still annoying and something you constantly had to look at so they develop to your liking. I dunno, but this all hit me awhile back when I thought about the game again.

I would love a much simpler formula and from what I understand, some of the crafting/food mechanics differ in the games, so I wonder how the new ones are in comparison.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Anyone ever play Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon? Got that about a week ago. Tales, Star Ocean, and Grandia all had GBC spin-offs. A shame none of them were released in the States (especially considering the fact that Nintendo systems were lacking in RPGs during that era).
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:A shame none of them were released in the States (especially considering the fact that Nintendo systems were lacking in RPGs during that era).

It is a shame, but at least Parallel Trippers got a fan trans. Blue Sphere may someday be finished... maybe.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Blue Sphere just has translated menus as far as I know.

Narikiri Dungeon and Narikiri Dungeon X have patches "in progress" but these things tend to get abandoned. I'm not optimistic about the Star Ocean one either.

On the bright side you can play Phantasia, Innocence, and Tempest in English!